Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oh boy do i have a story for you guys

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fknfbm53559, Dec 22, 2000.

1. fknfbm53559

fknfbm53559 Registered Member

last night i was leaving for church at about 6:40 at night when i got maybe a half a mile from my house i started to hear a loud clunking noise like i had a 2x4 stuck to my right front tire or something. well i pulled over immediatley in the first street available (because in quitman texas their too cheap to afford shoulders) the first driveway was to the left so i turned in there pretty quick to get out of the road. well when i turned the wheel i noticed it hesitated turning, i was like hmm wierd. well the second my left front hit his driveway i feel my truck slam to the ground and i see my right front bounce off into the guys ditch. i was kinda shocked for a second and didnt know what really happened. well after a good run from chasing the wheel i brought it back to the truck to asess the damage. i didnt have a flash light so i couldnt really tell what happened to my rotor and all. but the one thing i did notice, i just so happened to land in some thick gooey mud. after it nailed the asphalt i guess it kept rolling a little bit and rolled right in the puddle. it had swallowed my front axle up to the hub. i was stuck pretty good since those brake rotors are a little skimpy on traction compared to my 33's. soon a couple people stopped. one of them happened to be a pretty good friend and she has a newer dodge neon, well she pulled around in front of me to see what happened and i was like hey its alright i got, it you can leave if you want. so she tries to drive around on the side where my axle is buried. haha here comes the funny part. she drove the front end of that car right off into the 2-3 foot deep culvert. poor neon, had to have a ford pull it out. well more people show up and we can shine some light on the subject (literally) and i notice that my differential housing is on the ground so theres no way i can get a jack under it, let alone the gumbo mud. wheres the hi lift when you need it. about 30 minutes later a cop drives up to see whats goin on. i tell him what happened and he was like hey i got a cousin that lives right down the road from here and hes got a big 6 ton floor jack and some plywood, maybe thatll help. he comes back with the ugliest guy ive ever seen, but oh well he had a jack. well we finally get it all lifted up and we go to put the tire on when i notice that hmm ive only got 2 lug bolts left on this rotor. i guess the rim flopping around broke the other 4 off, weird. we deem it drivable and take it back to my house real slow. i havent even got out to check how bad it really is yet, but i know i need a new rotor, and lug bolts, i think the impact of it slamming on the ground might have bent the axle because the whole way home it was acting like the tire was unbalanced pretty bad. the question on my mind and all of your minds probably is how in the hell did the tire come off in the first place? well i dont understand that either. i can rule out one option that the last time i rotated the tires i didnt get the lugs tight enough because i used a good ol impact wrench, also it wouldnt have been just my front tire, the rest of the lugs on the other 3 wheels woulda been loose too. im thinking either 1 of 2 things happened. #1 some little jealous prick tried to be funny and take some of my lugs off at night. or #2 the guy that just rebuilt my tranny 2 days ago had to take the wheel off for some odd reason and forgot to put the lugs back on. im sorta leaning towards #1. after i get this fixed the first thing im buying are a nice set of wheel locks. oh yea and does anyone know if you can replace just the lug bolts in the axle or do you hafta buy a whole new axle. im not totally sure the axle is bent so if its not i dont wanna hafta yank it.

washing a k5 is never done somehow i keep finding those 3 foot deep mud pits on the way home

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You should be able to just pull the rotor off and install some new studs. Then take it for a drive. I doubt you bent your axle, although anything is possible.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

My friend bent the axle on his s10 Blazer 2WD when it was really icy on the road, he slid into a curb and it wobbles like crazy now.

90K5

4. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

You need to go back and look for some lug nuts just lying around. On my old Toyota, I had all of the lugs break at once and it sent my wheel flying. It wasn't something someone did to it, just a freaky coincidence. I could be wrong, but I don't see anyone loosening your lugs for the heck of it, because you would think they would do all 4 wheels instead of 1. You probably just had your lugs break 1 at a time. I agree about the axle not being bent, I would suspect the wheel does feel out fo balance seeing how you only had 2 nuts on it.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

5. fknfbm53559

fknfbm53559 Registered Member

yea it really doenst matter how it happened because the fact is i cant change it now. but not to long ago i had someone come up and break my right rear window on my top. i didnt understand why they didnt break the rest of the windows. but oh well thanks guys

washing a k5 is never done somehow i keep finding those 3 foot deep mud pits on the way home

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The lug nuts were loose or they were over torqed and stress fractured. As for your impact my guess is it was at fault. My impact gave it up and wasn't torqing to about 30ftlb and I had almost the same thing happen. Thankfully I was driving and heard the banging and knew what it was. It was my wifes K5. Lugs have a torq spec of about 80ftlb. If you got a 600lb impact you probably over tightend and they started breaking. The wobble is probably a bent rim not a bent axle. when it got down to 1 or 2 bolt it bent the rim is my guess. As many times as I have slamed the living hell out of my front axles on rocks I ca safely say they will take one heck of a beating.
    I have changed my ways and no longer trust an impact and always test the tightness with a lug wrench to be sure they are actully tight enough. You might want to do the same.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The boys at Discount Tire usually install the lug nuts loosely with an air wrench set at a low torque setting. Then they tigheten them all evenly with a torque wrench. A lot of new cars have brake rotors that are so wimpy that overtightening the lug nuts can warp the rotor. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

8. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

THATS A LONG POST!!! hehe i like the story though

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter