Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oh boy

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Z3PR, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

The Alero is leaking alittle oil. Took it to 2 different shops. The first one is saying it's a head gasket, and the second one is saying it's just the intake manifold gasket. Anyways got a appointment too take it in wes. so they can steam clean the engine, and put some dye in the oil so they can see where the oil is leaking from. Hopefully it's just the intake manifold gasket, that only a $300.00 bill, as where the head gasket is up around $2,000.00 (3.4 V6)

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

A friend of mine just had a head gasket go on her Alero. Her boyfriend replaced it for her. Haven't asked how the work went.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Was it the 4cly or 6cly engine ?? My problem is I don't have the tools anymore, and I really don't want too get into the sideways FI engines. Too be completely honest, I really don't have much experence with the newer motors with all the crap on top. If this wasn't the daily driver I depend on, I'd probley borrow the tools and attempt it, but I'm going too have too pony up and pay a shop.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I lucked out. It isn't loosing oil at all, it's a leaky resivor for the power steering pump.

5. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear that. Huge cost savings :)

6. eightyone

eightyone 1/2 ton status

im glad to hear those shops knew what they were talkin about.:crazy:

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yeah, really makes ya think doesn't it. I didn't want too mess with it, I was dreading tearing apart this engine with all it's computer controled stuff. I could see myself screwing something up, so I was just going too pony up and pay a shop. I'm happy I found a shop honest enough too tell me it is just the resivor for the PS. Figured sence they're so honest, I'll have them do the work. Part will be in Tues.

8. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just rpl. a 3.4 in an '02 Alero for a customer whose kid never changed the oil in it. The whole job, 20k mile engine included was just $2000. They wanted $2k just to do headgaskets?!? The book shows 12 hours to rpl. headgaskets, our labor rate is $60 an hour, so that's $720. How can they justify $2000? This is an internal cam engine, it has pushrods just like a Chevy smallblock, easy engine to work on.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

See http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134635

10. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I think the 3.4 is an excellent engine. Replaced the 2.8 in my Cherokee with a 3.4 out of a 95 Firebird. Just pulled all the FI crap off and bolted on the 2.8 intake and carb, stabbed the 2.8 distributor in and firied er up. BTW, Firebirds and Camaros are the only GM's to get a RWD 3.4. GM sells a crate 3.4 HO as a replacement for s/10 2.8s.

11. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Apparently you have never owned a GM car with a 3.8 L
    Personally I think the 3.4 is....... a under powered ..... anemeic..... a .......... well.... problematic....... errr ...........well...... i wont say it. Cuz this is a 3.4 post. :grin:

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think the 3.4 does great in the 2000 Alero. [​IMG]