Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oh Crap! I screwed up My carb!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Toad, May 14, 2000.

1. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

I screwed up my carb today!!!. My rig kept hessitating and I've tried everything. The metal fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb was pinched so I took it off to get a new one. Of course no one here makes one and I wanted a metal one.

I decided to put it back on. It was kind of difficult so I took of the fuel filter nut(?) and screwed in the fuel line. I then proceded to screw on the fuel filter nut(?) and I could tell it was cross threaded slightly before. I did my best to get it strait and about 3 turns from tight it totally jumped threads and now sits crooked. It leaks like crazy now and the gas pours over my engine. Crap!!!!! The only thing I can think of is buying a new carb.

I can't spend the $380 for a new Quadrajet so does anyone have any other carb suggestions?? No Holleys Please. And who sells the rebuilt Quadrajets? Are they any good?

Please reply soon!!

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I did the same thing on a carb once. Here was my fix that lasted about 4yrs until I sold it. Dried all the fuel off the threads and fuel line. Took some two part epoxy and liberally applied to threads. Carefully put back together until snug. Applied more epoxy around exterior and let sit overnight. Sealed her up good. The one time I had to take it off, I just made sure I had all the crumbs of the broken epoxy out and then re-did the whole thing. Good luck.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

3. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

If you could find the right TAP to match the threads,and were VERY careful, you might be able to get it straightened out again.That's an iffy situation though.I'm not sure about the clearances around the spot ,or availability of parts to do it,but maybe drilling and re-tapping to the next size up(whatever is closest-metric or standard).
    Just make sure you can get the parts first.
    Good Luck.

<font color=red>Wanna'keep wheelin? Get involved!
    Check the "Land Use" section of this board.</font color=red>

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

See if you can find a place that rebuilds carbs and see if they will sell you just he body....

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

NOT SURE WERE YOU GET THEM BUT ON MY CORVETTE SOME ONE REPLACED THE NUT WITH A LARGER ONE THAT WOULD CUT IT'S OWN THREADS, THIS ONLY WORKED FOR A COUPLE OF FUEL FILTER CHANGES, THEN IT FINALLY STRIPPED THE THREADS. BOUGHT CARB OUT OF JUNK YARD AND USED BODY. BOUGHT REBUILT Q-JET THAT WAS REBUILT BY HOLLEY IT WAS JUNK. BEST OFF TO BUY NEW EDELBROCK Q-JET. NOT CHEAP BUT WORTH THE MONEY, I THINK.

6. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

I put in a Holley rebuilt Quad about 9 months ago and haven't had one single problem with it, at all. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. I got it at an auto parts store called O'Reilly's here in K.C. and it cost me $239 with the core turned in. I had to call around to get the best price. Autozone wanted $389.

Good Luck.

Phil in K.C.

7. 72junker

72junker Registered Member

I have a screwed up Rochester Quad, off the 72K5, may or may not be original. I also have one off an 83 Buick, not as screwed up. If you think either could help let me know and it's yours (went with Holley 600)

8. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

72 Junker,
    Thank you for the offer but I just found a donor carb. It is missing everything but the body. Unfortunately I need to have my truck fixed by tommorrow afternoon. I can probably get it done after work but I've decided I'm going to rebuild the Quadrajet with my parts. In the meantime I'm going to put and Edlebrock 1406 on and then a friend is going to buy that in about two months from me for $25 less than I will pay for it.

One quick question about the 1406. It is an electric choke. I currently don't have one. What is involved in hooking that up? What else is involved in converting to the 1406. I know it needs a different fuel line and filter but I need a new fuel line anyway.

9. 72junker

72junker Registered Member

When I put the Holley on I cut the metal line before all the cracks and kinks, clamped on a rubber one, added an inline filter, and was good to go. I think the electric choke just hooked into a hot wire in crank or run, I quote the instructions from the Holley "Atach the end of the long electrical lead to the choke cap. The other end must be attached to an ignition activated 12 volt source."

Back to the fuel line, I filed the edges to remove burrs and flused teh crap out of it. You can do the same to keep that "carb nut" I don't know what to call it either, at the other end.

Is that any help?

10. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

Yep!

11. solid454

solid454 Registered Member

i have an old rachester carb sitting around that i could sell you if you still need it. its a 4 barrel q-jet. needs to be rebuilt. let me know if your interested. good luck man.

BIG HEAVY AND MEAN

12. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Sorry to read your post so late, been 4x4ing.
    I think HELP makes a good repair kit for the stripped body, if its not help, and your still
    looking to repair your Quad, post back, and I will look for the "brand name".

13. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the offer guys. I just put Holley Rebuilt Quadrajet on. The first carb they brought out was beat to hell. The second one looked pretty good minus the discoloration from the cleaning. I hope it is O.K. I've heard it both ways on these rebuilt carbs. It was only $139 at Checker.

After our agreement my friend decided he wanted to go with a Holley carb. He is rebuilding a 1948 Chevy and it is only 2 wheel drive. I didn't want to mess with the throttle linkage conversion. He is still giving me his old carb though. Hopefullly this rebuild will still work and I can rebuilt my original carb incase this one has problems.

Executioner, Who makes that kit just incase?

14. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

One problem I ran into with the edelbrock carb was the factory air cleaner won't fit down flush on the carb because of the loction of the fuel inlet. Yu will have to either have to buy a air cleaner spacer or find an air cleaner that will fit down flush on the carb. Of course if you run an open air cleaner it might fit just fine. Personally I can't understand why you just dont go buy a rebuilt one from a parts store. I paid $129.00 plus tax of course, for the one I bought from O'Reillys. The older rebuilt carbs are cheap as long as you don't need electric choke. And if you buy one for a mid 70's big block it might even have a little more umph. Edelbrock's are cheap and simple, but if you don't get at least a 750cfm don't waste your money.

15. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Most parts stores, like Autozone have a section of oddities on red labled cards called Help, all sorts of the little things you ordinarily would have to get at the dealer.

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

16. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

I put on the rebuilt carb and even though I looked it over, I was just checking to make sure everything was tight and noticed a small tube comming out of the carb just ABOVE the place where you screw in your fuel filter nut. What is this? My old one doesn't have one and I can't cross refference the carb # 17054937 to anything. You guys have any ideas? Thanks