Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OH CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!! new rearend

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Sep 22, 2001.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

got my brakes bled, and was taking the truck for a test drive, and the new rear end just locked up. Like the brakes were applied, except they weren't. It wasn't the parking brake I don't think, its not even hooked up. a friend's dad thinkis it might have bad wheel cylinders, so thats possible too. The whole time I was driving it though, it didn't seem to have any more torque, like it should when going from 3.42 to 4.11, so I think the brakes may have been partly engaged, if thats even possible. If thats the problem, is it possible that the brakes made it get really hot, and melt the gears together? Thaks

90K5

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I don't think the brakes would cause that, but it's worth a look at the brakes anyway. I once had an AMC Model 20[​IMG] lock up on me - it had a piece of something (this was 12 years ago, and I still can't figure out what it was) jamming up the spider gears - might also be worth a quick check.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Its definately the rear end. I have to figure out a way to get that beast towed out to where I rebuilt it, and we'll do it again. No more towings on AAA this year, and its about 30 miles. What a PITA I am sick of this truck. Haven't driven it in a week and a half, just working on it. What a POS Had to tow it to a brake place today, and to stop it, they slammed it into Park because there were no brakes. So that pisses me off, since its also a new tranny. Once I get this fixed, it better not break for a while....excpet for the 3.42 front gears, I shouldn't have to spend any money on it for a while.

90K5

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Now that I think aobut it, it kinda makes sense that the rear end is bad. When I first got it, the axleshafts seemed really hard to move compared to my old ones, like the gears weren't set up properly...

90K5

5. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Although it could be wheel cylinders. I also remember that when a gm master cylinder goes berzerk it will tend to lock up brakes so that its extremely hard to make any movement forward or reverse. My uncles 88 suburban had this happen.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23>http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23</a>

6. shane

shane 1/2 ton status

What are you complaining about??? It's not like it has a blue oval on it, right? [​IMG]

Shane

Never argue with idiots; They will drag you down to their level and beat you up with experience [​IMG]

7. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I'm going to go over there and take the drums off, and see if I can turn the axleshafts. If I can, its a brake problem, but if not its and axle problem. Do you think I did any damage to the tranny when the rear end locked up? Its a 700R4. I was going about 40 when it happened. I think the tranny has gotten really torn up because of this deal with the rear end. The shop I took it to to get the brakes power bled slammed it into park to stop it, because of no brakes. The part that pisses me off is that I just got it rebuilt, so it has a warranty for 12K or 12 months, so I don't know what to do about that...any input is appreciated. Thanks

90K5

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

If my master cylinder went bad, would it lock up all the wheels, or just the rear ones? The front wheels still turn, its jus tthe back ones that are locked up...
    Hey don't be bashing Fords...I drove an old Ford PU all week, and it wasn't really that bad. Kinda liked it. Some friends were nice enough to let me borrow it for as long as I needed it. I thought it ran pretty well for 223K miles

90K5

9. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

might be they forgot the LS additive for the Auburn.....I have an Auburn Pro in my 12B....when I ran 7oz , I would experience "grabby" problems on long runs on the highway (200+ at 70mph), it would bang and make noise......I run 14oz and Full Synthetic in both ends since I have an Auburn Pro in the front also......I wonder if maybe ya got the clutches hot , and they seized somehow.......I sure hope it's your brakes, tho.....good luck.....JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

10. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

just another thought I just had......wonderin' if maybe the brakes are on backwards.....I've heard stories, but never had the experience........what the hell, may be worth a look.....

11. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

That part I couldnt tell you. I will ask him this week when Italk to him. As far as I can remember him telling me. t just locked on him coming down from VA on 85S into the Chapel Hill split off. He mashed the skinny pedal and only made it to 5 mph.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23>http://community.webshots.com/user/thatguydrew23</a>

12. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You were right K5Jimmy. they forgot the LS additive, but also the gear oil. since I picked it up and put it in my self, they didn't put the oil in it, and were supposed to give it to me. They forgot to give it to me though, and when I looked at the receipt, there was a $30 for oil, so I figured it had oil in it...its getting rebuilt again, should get it back tomorrow.

90K5

13. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

dang luck......hope everything goes ok from here......

14. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

damn that blows big time.
    Are they going to cover part of the rebuild?

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

15. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, its getting fixed under warranty, and they paid for the tow truck, because it was their fault. should get it back tomorrow

90K5

16. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Well at least you didn't have to take it in the rear.
    That's cool that they are not being buttheads about it.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

17. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Got it back. Damn that thing cruises now. I'll have the needle pegged past 85 and it feels like its still got more to go. Don't know why it seems like this after going to lower gears, but I also haven't had it pegged like that in a long time....it is hard to keep it closer to the speed limit around town though....so thst sucks, but maybe its cause the speedometer isn't off by as much. I think it actually reads fast now, so thats awesome. The posi seems to work pretty well, really need to find some water and do some "tests" though.....

90K5

18. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

try not to spin the tires around corners if you can.....it unnecessarily wears the clutches in the posi.....I'd run it 1000 miles, and change out to full synthetic, and 14oz additive.....I've had mine for about 20K, and it grips like a fat lady at a rummage sale......JD

19. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks. Where can I get the additive? Never seen it before, but never really looked for it either.....

90K5

20. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I get it at Autozone....'bout $6.....7oz...