Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OH CRAP! What now

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OLD DAWG, Sep 30, 2005.

1. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

:doah: Hey all of you BBC runners, I've gotta couple of problems(Besides mental instability). I pulled the crappy port heads off of my 82 engine yesterday in anticipation of putting my freshly rebuilt 781s on. Well, much to my surprise I find that the #4 cyl has score marks all down its backside :rolleyes: and on this supposedly rebuilt engine(I found a reman. tag on the block along with a regrind of the block serial #) It appears to have std. bore pistons. My question is aren't all oversize pistons marked with that oversize on top? :confused:
    Another question is, I also have a std. bore short block from a 76 Burb that hasn't been touched, any opinions/comments on which one would be better to use? I know I'm going to have to go with a oversize bore on either.

Thanks in advance, Doug

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmmm, well I am no engine guru but sounds like eaither way you would be better off getting a freash short block for thoes 781s you have. I would lean toward the freash stock bore block. Get it checked for cracks and if it is all good then boar it out 30over and get a freash short block...HOLY COW fire alarm..gotta go out side now..fire alarm!!!!!! byy

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ok back inside, just a fire drill....

I don't know if the top of the pistons should have a stamp or not?

Anyway I am real happy with my engine. It is board 30over & 9:5 compression with the new pistons. Oh and I would also get the entire rotating assy. balanced, your engine will last way longer and reliability goes way up from what I have read and been told.
    Good luck
    Burt

4. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Right now it wouldn't take much for me to say screw it and sell the whole works. :mad: Make it a home assembled, build it yourself crawler kit. I'd sure have more garage room, less bills, and I wouldn't have to think about what the future price of gas is gonna be

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I know how ya feel old Dawg. I was supposed to be in Moab right now but not enough time to get everything done. Been close to 2 years since I drove mine. It's at the tube benders right now then I have to work with some braking issues. Check out everything, do an alignment, may have to cut off and reattach hydraulic ram. Still need to get some stuff for the new engine also and put it in someday. :doah:

Uh honey remember when I said doing my truck would only cost ______. Well I may have misfigured just a wee bit. :o