Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OH GOD NOOOO!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Pulled my transfer case to try to find a leak and the back-top part of the transmission came down with it!

Dammit, I'm pissed! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

Is the case broaken or is this fixable

3. Sandman

Its not a big piece but it included one bolt hole. I'm calling around getting options now. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

That'd be your leak! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Can you call a local Mig welder who can weld from a truck - have them weld the broken piece back on - in the truck? Least you can do is burn something up!

What tranny are you running? Give us specs on your tranny/t-case mounts. I need to know if I have enough mounts.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Oil permeated cast aluminum, I don't think your going to be able to get a good weld on that. Especially with the heat required to weld aluminum cooking all the goodies. I think you migh as well start looking for a case IMO... I would...

6. Sandman

OK, I just got it out and on the floor. I think its a personal record. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The local shops will weld it up but they want the case to be stripped before they will do it. My tranny guy will build me one for $300 and have it to me Saturday afternoon.

I wasnt running any extra mounting but ironically I was under it install the "L" bracket when I found this.

Looks like I will still make it to Moab. I just wont be able to eat while I'm there. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Hey at least it was in the shop, and not out on some trail somewhere, that would really be a pisser. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

8. KAS

KAS 1/2 ton status

I bet your wishing now that you just left it alone...huh?!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. KAS

KAS 1/2 ton status

JB WELD /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ----- That'll fix it! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Nothin' like "weld" in a small plastic tube /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think you can get it at Checkers for like $6.97 giving you an savings off approx. $293.00 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Is that a great idea or what?

Don't worry, Matt, it'll all come together for you.

10. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Is that a slip yoke by chance? I had a similar incident /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. My driveshaft was too short and I ended up bending the main shaft in the transfer case. I picked up a used 241 for $75 & had the driveshaft lengthened. Problem solved /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Sandman

I wish that would do it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Man, that was a good tranny too. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

12. Sandman

It was the tranny that broke and not the transfercase. I wish it was the transfercase. It would have been easier.

Now would have been a premo time to do a twin-stick conversion. Just dont have the time. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Man, that was a good tranny too. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    But this is not much worse (if any) than trying to weld it. To weld the case without damaging the guts, you gotta strip it and then tank it to *try* to get all hyrdo out of the metal. Then put it all back and hope it holds.

Instead, just get a "core" and swap the guts... No welds, hoping it holds, and hoping it's straight...