Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oh happy day

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by jeffro, Sep 21, 2002.

1. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

I was pretty pleased tody after I cranked up the old 6.2. I charged up the battery and connected it to check my glow plugs with a test light. Only one of them showed good. Well, I wanted to see if it would still run before I drop a load on new plugs so I checked the engine oil, gave it a little shot of ether and wham! she started right up.Mind you, this thing has been sitting in a field with the hood half-way open for a year and a half. Anyway, I've regained motivation to stick it into my 72. Based on some previous posts I should be able to run 40" tires with 3.73 gears and not do to bad, mileage-wise. What do y'all think?

2. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I run 35s with 3.73s and 700r4 and want lower gears. If you have the 700r4 id go with 4.56, if not maybe 4.10s.

3. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

I'll be running sm465.

4. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

Hey Jeffro, Where in Dallas are you? Im in Balch Springs. Just moved from Seagoville.

5. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

Scurry, south of Kaufman. I put Dallas on my profile for the benefit of the geographically-challenged masses.

6. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Use the AG60 glow plugs. They will never burn out. I don't suggest using the ether too much man. Dangerous stuff!!

7. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I run 37s, 700R4, 4.10 gears. In drive, it will still cruise just fine at 65MPH. It will pull long hills in second gear at 55MPH. With your 40s I would go with at least 4.10s, 4.56s if you don't do the highway thing too much.

AC delco 60Gs can be bought at autozone for about $60 a set.

Ether is BAD. Says so right on my air cleaner.

8. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

Ether is like crack cocaine for your truck... keep using it and before long you wont be able to start your truck without it... /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif (if it doesn't blow the motor up...)

Jon

9. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

To be exact, the AG60 glow plugs at Autozone are $7.99 each! As for your choice of gears, I use 4:10s and get great power with my 33s, but as for cruising on the highway, It hates being above 70!

10. Txstruck

Txstruck Registered Member

Where do you take your truck offroad at? There is only one little spot in Seagoville and its no fun by yourself. Shoot me an email and maybe we can hook up one day after it rains! txstruck@aol.com