Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oh how far I've fallen... !!! VICTORY !!! with MORE PICS, See Page 2

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 350350, Jun 5, 2004.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Oh how far I\'ve fallen... !!! VICTORY !!! with MORE PICS, See Page 2

Got a bit discouraged tonight... My Camaro has been down for about two months now. Optispark and Fuel pump went at just about the same time, rendering it completely inoperable. So of course I decided to tear the whole thing apart and do a bunch of major upgrades while I had it apart.

In the mean time, major dog surgery, major van repairs, and many other unforeseen family issues left me with simply getting the car running. So it sat for no real good reason, now it's time to put it back on the street.

I'm replacing the Opti with a Delteq distributorless ignition, replacing the fuel pump, and while I have the whole rear end of the car apart, I may as well put an SLP Cat-Back Loudmouth on it right? It's almost due for exhaust anyway...

So I got all the parts Friday and thought I'd make quick work of it this weekend. Unfortunately, you have to drop the entire rear end and suspension, exhaust, and all the heat shields and such to get to the gas tank and drop it as well to replace the fuel pump. Still not at all beyond anything I've endeavoured before. A short afternoon job 10 years ago.

In fact, in about 1993 I would have slept in Saturday morning, eaten very little for lunch, and pulled the car into the shop shortly after lunch. By then at least 2 or 3 buddies would have stopped by to see what I was up to, and I'd have some tunes and some conversation to keep it fun while I ran the air tools and torch required for such a project. By mid afternoon I'd have the car running and ready to wash in time for Saturday night action.

I was built like a Stallion back then, lived alone in a huge house, had a great shop and plenty of room for parts cars. Always had a handful of buddies just a phone call away if I needed a couple of strong backs for manhandling something into place. And my car was my family. If it was down, I was down. It was my source of pride, my major transportation, and my reputation in most of the Tri-State area. I'm a Car Guy. I guess I've finally realized that will never change.

So tonight I went out to get the car ready for a full assault tomorrow. I found that the 2 hours it took me to dig out my tools (buried in the basement now, as I no longer even have a garage) and get them all outside (now working in a gravel drive without air tools or a torch) and get the car up on jackstands was nearly enough to give me a heart attack.

The wife was growling at me because she had buried all the tools that I had previously dug out for said vehicular work, and I in return requested that she locate them for me. Turns out she only buried half of them, but still lost an hour in that mess. Had to keep the boy away from the paint with the screwdriver and amuse baby girl while she waited for Mom near the car.

No buddies stopped by and I have 1,368 mosquito bites. 2 hours and I was able to get the car up on jackstands and loosen all the lugnuts (by hand). There it sits. 17" wheels free for the taking, and as a bonus I left my 3 ton jack under the car for the wheel thieves to take.

So add to all that my health isn't so great, and I can't pull all-nighters like I used to when I was so excited about that SLP Loudmouth Stainless exhaust and couldn't stop until it was finished... Even if I could do it physically, I've got kids to take care of, and can't sleep all day the next day like I could when I was in the old homestead...

So I came in pretty disappointed in my progress for the evening, and pretty nostalgic for the older, simpler days when I did several major projects and/or project cars per year, and here I am not even able to keep up with oil changes let alone do something as simple as an exhaust, fuel pump, and new ignition system in a full 2-day weekend.

Then while I was eating my dinner, the Boy (3.5 years old) brought all of his Muscle Machines in and lined them up next to my plate, and counted them out for me. 17. All '60's and '70's Muscle Cars. His favorite is the 1962 Corvette I bought him on Friday. And I felt a lot better about the slow progress I'm making, considering all the good things I have in place of the freedom I used to have to spend all night on a creeper under my car... Then baby girl came in (she's about to walk...) and told me "Night-Night Dad-Dad" before she went with Mom to get put to bed.

So I know I wouldn't change a thing. My kids are everything to me and I wouldn't bat an eye if I had to choose my kids over cars/trucks. Just gets a bit frustrating at times.

So those of you with kids and active vehicle projects, how th hell do you get anything done on your cars/trucks??? First of course is how do you get any cash to spend on the vehicles in the first place, and second how do you juggle family time with vehicle project time? Due to my health, I try to spend as much time with the kids as possible, but for my sanity I think it's important to spend some time on vehicle projects too...

Oh, what a mess. All I know is that there's stainless steel exhaust system in my kitchen, as well as a distributorless ignition system that are mocking me... I must get these parts on my car!!!

And this is all after giving up on the SLP headers, McLeod dual friction clutch, and don't even get me started on what the K5 needs!!! (That'll be in the 'Parts Needed' post soon...)

OK, had to vent. It may take a few weeks, but I'll get it done. I haven't failed to get one finished yet...

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Re: Oh how far I\'ve fallen...

I don't even need to read this to tell that Paul is gripin again about some lame ass crap about something not working right !@!! LOL!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't even need to read this to tell that Paul is gripin again about some lame ass crap about something not working right !@!! LOL!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it both touching and somewhat disturbing that people I've never actually met in person know me well enough to take a pretty good guess at what my latest soapbox speech is about without actually reading it! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

4. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

WOW,you described my house. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifwhen i bought this house it was a rental and needed work,well i met my wife ,she moved in with her at the time 8 year old son.he's 16 now and half the [darn] still isn't done. and we have a 3 year old boy on top of that. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifso i know where your coming from,it sounds like your a great dad. but like you you need you time(and so does your wife).today i finally went wheeling,i was pissed cuz i didn't have JR done cuz of all the rain and fam things,but i went with my DD and had a great time. i wish we could have started earlier. but i missed my boy all day and he is going next time.you'll make it bro, most of my friends don't come by much anymore either.i used to have anywhere from 15 to 30 people over every night,365 days a year but after the BABY those punks slowly stoped coming by.all good though i don't want my son doing the same stupid [darn] i did. PM me and we can talk more /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

You have not fallen bro, you just have more responsibility. Instead of being an irresponsible selfish squid, you opted to marry and become a father. You have taken the path of genuine manhood. Too many guys think manhood is just working, dating girls and then make no lasting committments. I can tell you are a good Dad, and like all men, the weight of your responsibities is heavy now. But it all turns out well. My 15th anniversary is a week away, and have 4 children. My wife stays home. And it is good. Really good. I have been there, believe me. Just yesterday I told my wife I have difficulty doing more than one thing on the "to do" list on our vehicles per day. Even small things, like you said, like changing the oil!!

First, when I am going to do some substantial project on my truck for a day I let my wife know in advance so she can plan something to do herself if she wants. Hey bachleors: This ain't called being "whipped" it's called communication. Were a family of six, allright. Secondly, for the dough to make mods to my rig I've used a chunk of my tax return this year. That worked out well. Or I sell something I don't need or use. The money just is'nt there week in week out to blow on my 'burb like it was when I was single, but I try not to let it frustrate me. Try, that is. Lastly, I agree 100% that you need time to yourself working on your machines to get stuff done but more importantly to recharge your batteries. It makes you a more effective Dad when with your family. And, your wife needs time to do what charges her up. That's when you take the kids.

You're a rich man... your gold bars are in front of you. Your family. Hang in there. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

You're not the only one brother.
    It sounds just like my place too, except I have four kids on top of my health issues.
    My wife helps me find time to work on my projects, not as much as I'd like, but time non the less.
    I've had to get used to putting my projects onto a long time table now as opposed to when I was younger and free.
    My Burb has turned into a 8 year project so far, and I'm no where near where I want to be with it.
    I suppose it helps that one of the project vehicles I'm working on is for my wife, that way she knows it's not all just for me.
    She reaps some benefits from the work I do as well. And as long as I'm able to work on something I'm usually happy! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I hope that I can have a nice place with garage and all my toys, and still keep them whenever the family thing happens. I'd go crazy without my toys and tools. But I also know that push comes to shove I would sell them all for a family.

8. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

You guys all make some great points. Even in my younger days, I used to get upset because I didn't get a project done in the amount of time I 'thought' it should have taken, etc.

One Sunday night when I was in college, I was out in the shop under what would be come the legendary 'Blue Racer', and I had planned to put a freshly rebuild 305 4bbl 4-speed into a '78 Malibu that was previously a V6/Auto car. I started on it Sunday around noon, and was completely sure that I would have it done in time to drive it back to school before Monday morning classes. (A 3.5 hour drive...)

My Mom pulled up in her Chrysler about midnight to find me asleep on the creeper under the car, (I had been fighting the shift linkage which I was building from scratch and fell asleep) and asked me why I hadn't stopped by on my way back to school... I told her I had to get this car running first. All I had left to do was finish the shift linkage, put the clutch/brake assembly in place of the automatic's brake-only pedal, break the motor in, and I'd be off and running. I'll never forget, because I hear this sentence echo in my head to this day whenever I find myself trying to do something completely impossible and doing nothing but getting frustrating. Mom said, "Paul, it's not that you fail to get great things done, it's that you set unreasonable goals for yourself and feel like you failed when you don't accomplish them." She loaned me her chrysler for the week and I finished the (soon to be legendary) 'Blue Racer' the next weekend.

So the moral of the story, then and now, is this: Don't set your sights unreasonably high. Given the fact that my health allows me to get only so much done, and my family takes a certain amount of time, I am looking at this project now in steps rather than which weekend I can do it all in.

So today I got the car suitably on the jackstands as it will need to be in order to drop all the components from under the rear of the car, leveled it, pulled the wheels off the car and got them inside so they're no longer free for the taking. I also got my torch out and functioning, and got all the wiring I'll need to set up my compressor in the basement so that I can run air out to the drive for next weekend.

Next weekend I'll try to get the rear end dropped, and anything more than that I'll consider bonus. Etc.

I really enjoy time with my kids, and I feel guilty about spending time away from them, such as working on the car, 4x4ing, etc. But I also enjoy those hobbies and need to do them for my sanity. They're probabaly what kept me sane for so long! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif My Son is 3.5 years old now and is probably old enough to enjoy a day trip 4x4ing, so maybe I'll try that this summer sometime. Of course, I'd have to get some tires on the K5 first!... It never ends...

I'll keep you posted!

9. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    WOW,you described my house. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifwhen i bought this house it was a rental and needed work,well i met my wife ,she moved in with her at the time 8 year old son.he's 16 now and half the [darn] still isn't done. and we have a 3 year old boy on top of that. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifso i know where your coming from,it sounds like your a great dad. but like you you need you time(and so does your wife).today i finally went wheeling,i was pissed cuz i didn't have JR done cuz of all the rain and fam things,but i went with my DD and had a great time. i wish we could have started earlier. but i missed my boy all day and he is going next time.you'll make it bro, most of my friends don't come by much anymore either.i used to have anywhere from 15 to 30 people over every night,365 days a year but after the BABY those punks slowly stoped coming by.all good though i don't want my son doing the same stupid [darn] i did. PM me and we can talk more /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I miss the good old days of the guys hanging out at my old homestead, the shop, the junk cars, the beaters, and all that jazz.

And yeah, being a Dad is a whole different world, but I wouldn't change it for anything. I have two awesome kids, and consider myself incredibly lucky. It's a big change from the days I could disapper for a couple of days at a time and nobody would think much of it. Hell, now if I'm an hour late getting home from work it's a red alert!

I'll PM you with some more gory details...

10. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I hope that I can have a nice place with garage and all my toys, and still keep them whenever the family thing happens. I'd go crazy without my toys and tools. But I also know that push comes to shove I would sell them all for a family.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing that everyone here has posted is that we're all lucky that we married someone that didn't neuter us by making us give up our cars/trucks/tools. I'd say that if a condition of marriage is that your car/truck has to go, don't do it. When we had our first child, I got rid of all my 4x4 stuff, put the Malibu away, and bought my LT1 Z28 so that I wouldn't *have* to work on it. I realized I wouldn't have time for the garage for several years. What I didn't realize was that it would make me miserable. My Wife didn't make me, I just did it because I thought it was the right thing to do, and I enjoy spending time with my kids so much.

Now I can see that was a mistake. I wish I had never sold my 4x4 240hp TPI V8 S10 Blazer, all the extras I had for it, lost touch with all the clubs I was in, etc. My Malibu is sitting quietly and safely in my Grandmother's garage 800 miles away, hopefully to be restored with my kids one day, and now I'm working on the Camaro just as much as I did the Malibu. I've barely done anything to my K5 since I bought it.

Things change when you get married, but if someone wants you to 'change or else' and get rid of everything you enjoy, I'd pass on the marriage. There are others that won't make you ditch your hobbies.

Just IMHO.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I've got a girl I love very much, and she encourages all my hobbies, we are young yet of course. She wants me to teach her all I can about trucks, cars, engines, and wants to build her own El Camino.

12. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Another thing you can always do is get the kids involved when your working on the cars.
    My kids all help me at some point or another, bringing tools, parts, helping install stuff, changing tires, oil . . .
    I love working with them on the smaller stuff now, knowing that I get to do what I want, spend time with them and teach them valuable skills for later in life too. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ...and wants to build her own El Camino.

[/ QUOTE ]

My Wife wants an El Camino too! The same style as my Malibu... Maybe we'll compromise and someday restore one with the kids instead of the Malibu... Sounds like a keeper... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I basically dont set any time goals. It seems that one week you can get alot done and the nest week, There a sick kid or whatever going on and you dont touch anything. It used to frusterate me also (3.5 year old boy and a 1 year old girl) untill I just gave up on the time goals. Now its not bad at all and it seems that it doesnt matter if my rig is down for a few more weeks.

At least I still have a garage though. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I got this in an email from my Brother today and thought it was fitting for this post...

The government recently calculated the cost of raising a child from
    birth to 18 and came up with $160,140 for a middle income family. Talk
    about sticker shock! That doesn't even touch college tuition.

But $160,140 isn't so bad if you break it down. It translates into
    $8,896.66 a year, $741.38 a month, or $171.08 a week. That's a mere
    $24.24 a day! Just over a dollar an hour.
    Still, you might think the best financial advice is don't have children
    if you want to be "rich." Actually, it is just the opposite.

What do you get for your $160,140?
    a. Naming rights. First, middle, and last
    b. Glimpses of God every day.
    c. Giggles.... under the covers every night.
    d.. More love than your heart can hold
    e.. Butterfly kisses and Velcro hugs
    f.. Endless wonder over rocks, ants, clouds, and warm cookies.
    g.. A hand to hold, usually covered with jelly or chocolate.
    h.. A partner for blowing bubbles, flying kites, building sandcastles,
    and skipping down the sidewalk in the pouring rain.
    i.. Someone to laugh yourself silly with, no matter what the boss said
    how your stocks performed that day.
    j.. For $160,140, you never have to grow up.
    k.. You get to finger-paint, carve pumpkins, play hide-and-seek, catch
    lightning bugs, and never stop believing in Santa Claus.
    l.. You have an excuse to keep reading the Adventures of Piglet and
    Pooh, watching Saturday morning cartoons, going to Disney movies, and
    wishing on stars.
    m.. You get to frame rainbows, hearts, and flowers under refrigerator
    magnets and collect spray painted noodle wreaths for Christmas, hand
    prints set in clay for Mother's Day,and cards with backward letters for
    Father's Day.
    n.. For $160,140, there is no greater bang for your buck. You get to
    be a hero just for retrieving a Frisbee off the garage roof, taking the
    training wheels off a bike, removing a splinter, filling a wading pool,
    coaxing a wad of gum out of bangs, and coaching a baseball team that
    never wins but always gets treated to ice cream regardless.
    o.. You get a front row seat to history to witness the first step,
    first word, first bra, first date, and first time behind the wheel.
    p.. You get to be immortal.
    q.. You get another branch added to your family tree, and if you're
    lucky, a long list of limbs in your obituary called grandchildren and
    great grandchildren.
    r.. You get an education in psychology, nursing, criminal justice,
    communications, and human sexuality that no college can match.
    In the eyes of a child, you rank right up there under God. You have all
    the power to heal a boo-boo, scare away the monsters under the bed,
    patch a broken heart, police a slumber party, ground them forever, and
    love them without limits, so . . . one day they will, like you, love
    without counting the cost.

ENJOY YOUR KIDS AND GRANDKIDS!

16. boggerless

wow. that brought a tear to my eye.thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif you know i don't think steve realizes how cooland comforting CK5 is.it's great we can come here to talk trucks even when we can't work on them.a escape from the day and all.and have more in common than JUST our trucks. THANKS STEVE /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

17. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    wow. that brought a tear to my eye.thanks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif you know i don't think steve realizes how cooland comforting CK5 is.it's great we can come here to talk trucks even when we can't work on them.a escape from the day and all.and have more in common than JUST our trucks. THANKS STEVE /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]could not have said it better, thanx again /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. boggerless

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

19. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Status Report...

Got started on the Camaro at 4pm.

Spent first hour digging through the basement for tools, for the 3rd time! I am certain that my Wife will not stop until I am completely insane, and every time I dig out all of my tools (the basement is finished, so I claimed part of it for my garage before we moved in, and lined it with cardboard before the movers got here...) she moves them, buries them, reboxes the, etc. Her explanation? None. This time I just dumped every box of tools out and left them in my 'garage corner'. Hopefully this will keep them from disappearing again. Time will tell.

5pm. First order of business was to drain the tank. I used to drain my old carb'd vehicles by pulling the lines off the pump and putting air pressure into the return line nad letting it drain out of the incoming line to the pump. Pressurizing the tank got it as dry as it could possibly get.

EFI vehicles are a whole different deal. I disconnecet the feed line from the fuel filter under the car, and pressurized the tank. Not a drop. I was obviously putting in more than safe pressure as I could hear the tank expanding... I messed with this far too long and finally managed to get a length of 3/8 fuel line down the fill tube (which took a lot of twisting, pushing, etc.) and managed to siphon about a gallon out by conventional methods about a gallon. My time restriction pushed me to make a command decision. The car showed less than a 1/4 tank. 14 gallon tank. About 3 gallons. 24 pounds. MOVE ON!!! Another hour wasted.

6pm. Began spraying everything in sight with PB Blaster. Especially the CAT bolts... Removed lower shock bolts, sway bar outer mount pads, drive shaft, unplugged wiring, removed torque arm, and one end of panhard rod. Had to cut the rubber brake line. That and the panhard rod bolt broke. Those were the only casualties.

Dropped the rear end slowly, watching for anything still conected, and it went straight down without a glitch. With the lower control arms still in place, it dropped easily 2 feet or more and leaves plenty room to get the exhaust off and the tank dropped with plenty of room to get the pump out.

8pm. Beginning to get dark, mosquitos coming out. started gathering up tools in my Son's saucer sled, and carrying things inside. Put battery charger on as 2 months of going in and out of the car, listening to the radio, and occasionally cranking the car was just about to drain it completely.

8:30pm. In the house eating dinner.

2.5 hours to drop the rear end. Not record time, but not too bad. The Boy helped, and about 50% of it was actually helpful! He's getting really good at getting me tools and knowing which tools are which, and he was in and out of the car region on and off the whole time. I'm calling this a bonus, regardless of its affect on time. One of the things I've looked forward to ever since my son was born has been working on vehicles with him. He really enjoys helping, but gets bored if there's nothing to help me with for a while. I always take extra time to show him how things work and teach him what a new tool is called, etc., even if it slows me down. It will pay off later.

So I accomplished my goal for this weekend, although I'd really like to go out there and drop the exhaust and tank, I could probalby get the new pump in as well and the tank back in place. It's smooth sailing after that. However, Mom and the Boy want to go see the new Harry Potter, so I'm sticking with my earlier statement that I'd be content to get the rearend dropped this weekend and let it go for today. Maybe next weekend I'll take a day off and make a three day weekend to see what I can get done...

Even after I get the pump, tank, and new exhaust on, I still have to get the Delteq ignition installed, oil changed, fix the fuel line I cut, replace the fuel filter, and have the rotors turned and put pads on it.

Then I have to deal with the power windows. Both go down, neither goes back up... I've also got a B&M ripper still in the box that I haven't taken the time to put on.

At my current rate progress, it's hard to see being finished by summer. Maybe I'll take a week off... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

20. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I got this in an email from my Brother today and thought it was fitting for this post...

The government recently calculated the cost of raising a child from
    birth to 18 and came up with $160,140 for a middle income family. Talk
    about sticker shock! That doesn't even touch college tuition.

But $160,140 isn't so bad if you break it down. It translates into
    $8,896.66 a year, $741.38 a month, or $171.08 a week. That's a mere
    $24.24 a day! Just over a dollar an hour.
    Still, you might think the best financial advice is don't have children
    if you want to be "rich." Actually, it is just the opposite.

What do you get for your $160,140?
    a. Naming rights. First, middle, and last
    b. Glimpses of God every day.
    c. Giggles.... under the covers every night.
    d.. More love than your heart can hold
    e.. Butterfly kisses and Velcro hugs
    f.. Endless wonder over rocks, ants, clouds, and warm cookies.
    g.. A hand to hold, usually covered with jelly or chocolate.
    h.. A partner for blowing bubbles, flying kites, building sandcastles,
    and skipping down the sidewalk in the pouring rain.
    i.. Someone to laugh yourself silly with, no matter what the boss said
    how your stocks performed that day.
    j.. For $160,140, you never have to grow up.
    k.. You get to finger-paint, carve pumpkins, play hide-and-seek, catch
    lightning bugs, and never stop believing in Santa Claus.
    l.. You have an excuse to keep reading the Adventures of Piglet and
    Pooh, watching Saturday morning cartoons, going to Disney movies, and
    wishing on stars.
    m.. You get to frame rainbows, hearts, and flowers under refrigerator
    magnets and collect spray painted noodle wreaths for Christmas, hand
    prints set in clay for Mother's Day,and cards with backward letters for
    Father's Day.
    n.. For $160,140, there is no greater bang for your buck. You get to
    be a hero just for retrieving a Frisbee off the garage roof, taking the
    training wheels off a bike, removing a splinter, filling a wading pool,
    coaxing a wad of gum out of bangs, and coaching a baseball team that
    never wins but always gets treated to ice cream regardless.
    o.. You get a front row seat to history to witness the first step,
    first word, first bra, first date, and first time behind the wheel.
    p.. You get to be immortal.
    q.. You get another branch added to your family tree, and if you're
    lucky, a long list of limbs in your obituary called grandchildren and
    great grandchildren.
    r.. You get an education in psychology, nursing, criminal justice,
    communications, and human sexuality that no college can match.
    In the eyes of a child, you rank right up there under God. You have all
    the power to heal a boo-boo, scare away the monsters under the bed,
    patch a broken heart, police a slumber party, ground them forever, and
    love them without limits, so . . . one day they will, like you, love
    without counting the cost.

ENJOY YOUR KIDS AND GRANDKIDS!

[/ QUOTE ]

When you were 22 did you think you would ever want children? Cause this actually makes me not want to have kids. I dont mean that in a bad way, but I can really never see myself having kids. I think i could make a great father, like my father, but at the moment i cont see it happening. How old were you when you realized that you wanted a family? This stuff just blows me away, i guess you just have to experience it to understand. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif