Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oh joy. fuel pump replacement

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thfonz98, Feb 20, 2007.

1. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

91 k5, CA truck and never been taken offroad(no rust problems)

As i was going to head up to san jose(where i go to SJSU), as im in salinas,ca now, I was greated with my fuel pump taking a crap on me.

I get spark as it runs with gas being put down the tbi. Plus i got it to start ONCE by having family turning the key and me whacking the bottom of the tank's skid plate. I replaced the relay just because. fuses all good, filter is kinda new but i took it off and no fuel being pushed. Also no 2-3 sec noise that i was used to hearing.

Going the access panel route since i filled up(31gal) the day before and will be doing this by myself.

So i get to use my drill, small hand saw, sawzall, a few wet towels, carpet sample to put with the towels and go to town on it. looking to go 12"x12" or 14"x14".

Guess ill take pictures(camera phone only since my pops has their camera in germany right now).

Oh joy! Missing classes is also great [/sarcasm]

ps guess ill seal it up witha piece of diamond place and sealant or something.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  2. guz71

guz71 1/2 ton status

Yeah my fuel pump just completely quit a few weeks ago while i was driving. My tank was is pretty bad shape, so just swapped in a new one with the fuel pump and everything. Good luck with that, my holding straps or whatever you want to call them did not want bust loose

3. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

I replaced mine last year and the fuel tank/sending unit. I have a nasty feeling I used a put a sending unit from a 26gal tank in my 31 gallon tank, unless I have a 10 gallon reserve:doah: .

4. thfonz98

thfonz98 1/2 ton status

well its all done. just took a while getting the needed parts together. Also had to figure out how the use the sawzall correctly since i had never used one. Didnt cut a complete hole, just three sides and bent back the metal.

no pics as i was trying to finish as fast as possible while being safe.

starts up great now!

damn i love ck5!

5. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

I had to replace a fuel sender unit, and the pump in my 89 sub. The thing is an old cop truck,and has the blasted 31 gallon tank. It had a little under a half tank, and I was on my back with the fuel tank balanced on my hands and knees, while my dad leaned on it trying to disconnet the felx lines.

He ended up cutting them, and I dropped the thing on my chest. I was too tired to move it, so it stayed there for a few moments.

BUT what really sucked was the fact that I had a smoke craving, and here I am laying on the ground, with a half full 31 gallon FUEL TANK on my chest....