Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oh Lucy (Stephen).....You've got a lot of esplainin' to do......!

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Greg72, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Oh Lucy (Stephen).....You\'ve got a lot of esplainin\' to do......!

OK Stephen,

Look, a lot of guys are kinda wandering around in a daze here....

One minute, you have a full-bodied truck that totally kicked a$$ at TTC 2001, that most of us would sell our souls to own. Then seemingly overnight, the majority of the body is discarded, and a rather "buggy looking" K5 emerges at some of the recent rockcrawling competitions...!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Can you please set the record straight with your own comments on why you have made these changes? I am saddened by the loss of my "role model" full-size-go-anywhere K5, but I understand that change is sometimes a part of life.....

Please use this thread to give us the current "State of the Union" speech as it relates to the ORD Jimmy. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

THANKS!

Looks like Stephen responded to everyone's questions on a different thread, but here is the link:

The ORD Jimmy

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Re: Oh Lucy (Stephen).....You\'ve got a lot of esplainin\' to do......!

I'm with Greg... what happened there man? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif And the rollover? That looked painful.. sorry to hear about that.

-Dan

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

here, here! speech! speech!

eeeerrr....PICS! PICS! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif or /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif or /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif or what ever "IT" is now adays /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Ryan Melton

Ryan Melton Registered Member

And you know I could say something about rolling next to the Mopar Performance sign. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Ryan

5. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Yep, the old Chevy recoiled in shock and rolled!

Depdog

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Here's the text from the post on the Garage board:

I figured there would be those that love it and those that hate it. All I can say to those that don't like it is: just try to follow it.........
    If it makes you feel any better I'm putting the bumpers on my suburban and making it 3/4T with some 35's to be the "grocery getter/camping/wheeler". My K5 passed the point of a true multi purpose rig when we took it to TTC. After that it gets 7 miles to the gallon, wears out $1300.00 worth of tires going down the road and has a heater and defroster as the sum total of interior amenities. Those of you that want to drive that daily are welcome to do it to your rig and try it out.

On the other hand, the '88 sub came with EFI, tilt, AC, etc, and a TH700, can fit kids in car seats without contortion, carried 7 people to Farmington last weekend, and carried me, wife, kids, and the neighbor's kid over part of Hell's revenge and all of Kane Creek in Moab for Memorial Day. And has about $5K into it. Total.

For those watching the progression of this vehicle, this is getting close to the end. All I have now from the original body is the firewall and floorboards, everything else is tinfoil. It will keep K5 skins on it just because I like to have it look similar to something and that big GMC on the grill pretty much clues people in to what I started with. The rear will have interior sheetmetal added and a couple of kid seats so I can at least carry the little ones. And I'm going to add some lexan or speedglass for a windshield.
    The one thing this truck has always been is exactly what I needed and/or wanted. Now it turns out that what I want is a truck that can run nasty trails with minimal body damage if it even takes damage, and a truck I can put on it's lid and not hurt me or the truck. So that's what it is. I'll build something else to do mild trails and to take camping.

I didn't exactly shed any tears when we cut the tail off, but there was some sadness. Most of which went away the first time I drove it with the new taper job.

Oh yeah, the rear tapers huge and has about 4" of overhang past the back of the tires. Fuel cell is 22-23 gal, so it still has decent range. We built the back of the cage to accomodate a 6 year old and a 1 year old for a few more years. We dropped the core support 1" by taking the body lift pucks out, then cut about 18" off and tapered the fenders and hood to match. It still retained the factory headlights, just moved in, in fact I drove it 30-40 miles down the highway in Farmington at night to break the tires in. The heater was there but didn't survive the first rollover.

End quote.

Blazer's are multi purpose vehicles. Great multi purpose vehicles. But nobody can argue that they're great for doing hard trails. I'm not talking hard like Golden spike or Pritchett, I'm talking hard like Upper Helldorado, Montrose, etc. And I'm not talking about doing Upper H. like I did, since I did have to have a strap off the side, and crunched the door post to the point a factory door wouldn't work and the tube door didn't work either. There are places a full body K5 will not fit and I want to go to those places, and now I can. I have set free the buggy within!

Honestly, knowing what I have now, two years ago I'd have started with a tube chassis and hung K5 skins on it for TTC and everything since then, and left my K5 alone, maybe even put a factory dash and interior back in it. But like most of the real world, I wanted to keep some of what I had already built (basicallly bumpers and cage at that point) and modified what I had instead of starting over. At this point, I'd just as soon have my K5 back like it was 2 years ago and have a tube frame K5 buggy, but it's a little late for that now isn't it!

7. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

WE (i) want more pics please /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Any way you look at it, or how it got there, it still kicks a$$. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif And remember, hindsight is always 20/20. We would always do something different AFTER we do it the first time (and for many of us, everytime thereafter).

9. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

10. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

That'd be called Body Roll. Its what happens when you install Coils Front and Rear without an Anti Roll Device - Is this correct Watson? It's what Frisbie's rig is experiencing as well.

Stephen,

I like what you have done. I have another pal from Oklahoma (Steve Sharp) who runs with Russ Hogan alot (Green Hornet!!!). He has completely removed the rear portion of his 72 K5 and narrowed the front similar to yours. I thought I would tease him sometime and bring along some yellow painted Cardboard with wheel cutouts and duct tape it to his tubework in the rear. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Just my way of saying, I like the K5 look but also see the need for some narrowing of some sort. Did you get any Video of this event? If so, could you PM me and perhaps I could pay you for a copy? I want to see how Russ did along with how your rig handles.

Thanks,

Neil

11. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

that thing is sweet If I didnt have to drive mine to the trail I would do somthing very simular to the body and mabey someday I will. are those after market body pannels or did you just cut and form the old ones? do you have any pics of it that you could share with us so we can drool a little /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Thanks

12. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    That'd be called Body Roll.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Called busted King shock. More to come on this one...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Did you get any Video of this event?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Nope. We did. Pm me about a video.

13. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

Dang that is a crap load of body rol for a vehicle that isnt moving ,or maybe a really strong wind ,but if it was that strong of a wind itd have blown those guys away ! anyways what im trying to say here , umm look closer , study details , and then let Stephen answer my Q's . /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

14. Stephen

That leaning look is what happens when you rip a coilover almost all the way off the truck. Biggest problem I had down there was ride height I think, and I wasn't driving 100% after rolling it on the first obstacle of each day. That was messing with my mind a little till the end of the 2nd day. the hot setup for this course was really low and my truck is fairly tall, so I lost some hill climb ability there. For an idea of what the courses were like, imagine putting cones on the left side of potato salad hill, that's what it was like all day long.
    I've got a line on some video of the first roll and my shop hands have some of the 2nd roll, so i'll see if I can get it all together on one tape. Might even be able to get some video of the the parts where I DIDN'T roll!
    I'll try to put together some pics of the new mods and get them posted tomorrow, and I might be able to find some from before it rolled, maybe.

15. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

stephen,

i have always looked to your rig as to the future of full size wheeling. and what you did to the ORD Jimmy is the future. It might not be the "vision" others had for it or of it. So it is a shock.

IMHO, you are a cult figure and hero for all the full size guys. All the Heep and Chev-yotas fit where we do not, and you are fixing that. BRAVO!

After my first nasty roll, i think i am going to go hybird. having the 1-ton axles, s-10 cab, flat bed, etc. will make it much easier to get to the spots i want.

Pics of the new "Wally" mobile would be MUCH appreciated. I need to drool all over again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

16. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Sorry, Didnt mean to get you panties in a wad! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I guess I will leave the posting to the Pros!

17. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

hey thats not nice , but i forgive you . i was a lil pissed off and it came out it my post at ya . /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif note to self , get anger management --&gt; /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

its all good with me if it is with you . /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

18. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Stephen-
    You will get the video of all events of the second day on video this weekend.

Everyone-
    Sorry I didn't get the article posted tonight. I had to work late, and have my Chem. mid-term tomorrow. After the test, around 9-10 pm, it will be posted. Sorry to make you guys wait aafter I promised pics and details.

19. Stephen

You let a chem test get in the way of entertaining all of us? Some dedication that shows.....
    I was a little surprised to see you down there at all, that's a hike from Golden.
    Thanks for the video, I definitely appreciate it. It's hard to get good footage and good pics when you're in the middle of things.

20. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I think I did fairly well on the Chem. too. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Wouldn't take much to improve on the 31 from the last round. "Wow Bryan, you spelled your name correct this time, we will give you a better grade." The first test was fawking hard. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Wasn't too bad of a drive from Golden. You haven't seen the video or most of the pics yet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'll get Toby &amp; Tim to carry the video down there since they have to drive right by here.

I got a little break in between classes today, not much though. Tonight, I should have some free time /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif so hopefully I can get that article cranked out. Maybe I won't give in and go to one of the post-test parties. Or, I could go to one of the parties and the article could be much more interesting.