Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oh man it feels good. :)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Aug 19, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so today i was working on this guy's truck, and i had a couple small projects on my rig i wanted to take care of, so i gave a 15mm wrench to my wife and had her fix the injection pump timing on my 6.2 diesel. :D it was a little retarded, so it smoked like hell when i would start it up cold. i recently put in a 465/205 set up, and that combined w/ proper timing really opened up the seat-of-the-pants feel w/ my NA diesel. i'm amazed. it's killer. i'd love to put it on a dyno and see what kind of power it makes... :wink1: i know alot of you hate the 6.2, but i think you'd be surprised at what a fresh NA 6.2 can do with good gearing. anyway, those of you who have 6.2's - make sure you've got good low gearing and your injection pump timing set well. mine is about a mm advanced from the timing mark on the timing cover, as i think tRustyk5's. maybe that's just a nice sweet spot. i dunno. ok, ramble is over.

2. colbystephens

i freaking love it. i don't feel a lack of power at all. i'm running 4.10 in the diffs. my buddy has a 6.2 blazer w/ th350/208/10b and i think 3.42 gears and it is slow as hell. probably something mostly to do with the gears, but i think having an automatic robbing power from it hurts too. that's a pretty high geared set up he's got, plus his kickdown cable isn't set quite right.

3. colbystephens

by the way, mine is mostly stock - i rebuilt it so it's fresh as of 2500 miles ago. it's bored .04 over and has been balanced and a ton of other stuff done to make it a super smooth running engine, which i hope helps to open up the power potential. i've got a line on a non-egr intake which should help it a bit too. anyway, i think the power is very good.

4. colbystephens

by the way, here's a dyno sheet of a freshened up NA 6.2 - 338lbs of torque to the rear wheels isn't too bad thru an auto tranny. :wink1: with my rebuild, i have a pretty good chance of having similar numbers, which are plenty for me. plus, at 20+ mpg, you can't beat that combination IMO.

[​IMG]

5. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well don't you sound excited? I figured I'd chime in before you could have too much more conversation with yourself.

Don't you just love that increased power feel when you switch to a stick? It's hard to believe how much power a slushbox robs. I'll never forget the first drive after converting my truck, I felt a lot better about it. Used to be a turd. Those look like some good torque numbers, but I think my 2.8 has more horses than that. :eek1: Guess it all depends on what you're using it for.

6. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

good work colby. Your truck is bad ass.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My opinion from driving a 6.2/TH400/3.08 geared K5 was that the transmission was what made it such a dog. You could never accelerate like crazy, but manually shifting made it drive much differently. The transmission was calibrated to shift so early that the engine RPM's never got very high.

That dyno chart as I'm reading it, pretty much shows that removing EGR, adding a K&N, and messing with the air cleaner is about worthless at least at that level.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Don't forget that hp is derived from torque and rpm. Diesel's have lots of torque, but low rpm's. Check the rear wheel torque in the graph...~340 lbs at the rear wheels and through an automatic. Plenty of bbc's don't get those kind of rear wheel numbers (stockish bbc's of course).

Rene

9. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

fixing the engine

i need to find a woman like that.

10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Where are the pics of your wife working on your rig?

11. colbystephens

don't have a pic of her fixing the injection timing, but let me find the one where she's hooking up fuel lines... hang on, it's funny.

12. colbystephens

ok, here it is. i was getting pissed at hooking up this fuel line, and these were the only clothes she had, so she hopped up in there and got the line threaded for me. :D

Copy of claire in engine3.JPG

13. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You lucky bastard. We men all need a wife like that. :thumb:

14. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Don't worry, I'm not forgetting anything. Torque is great for lots of things, but sometimes you need HP too.

15. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

Manual trannies are cool but your rig will never be as fast as it was with a slushbox... they just shift too damn quick. the 40 or so hp they eat up is made up in quick shifts. Not to mention the throws on an sm465 aren't too short.

I think auto trannies are as good as it gets for offroad unless your rock crawling...if your mud boggin or climbin hills sometimes you need to let your rig shift to avoid getting stuck or rolling over.

16. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

so with the banks turbo it can make 134hp and 359tq at the wheels? what would that equate to at the crank? is that pretty much the total potential of a 6.2, or is there more somewhere? numbers arent that bad tho

17. colbystephens

assume about 20% drivetrain power loss. i assume this dyno sheet was adjusted for elevation, but it was at 4500ft above sea level...

18. tRustyK5

The numbers with the turbo are one line down on that dyno sheet. 172 hp and 451 lbs of tq with the banks junk. Decent numbers considering that is at the rear wheels...

Rene

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  19. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

yea i saw that. thats a lot better than a stock 350, thats for sure. Rene, you dont like the banks stuff?

20. tRustyK5

I like it just fine...just keep finding better things to spend $2200 on. In all honesty my NA 6.2 does me just fine power wise, so adding more power isn't high on my priority list. I might go turbo one day, but not in the immediate future.

Rene