Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oh man, this is worse than being part "Canadien"...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

You may or may not know that I've been researching my family history in the last month... I've gotten quite a few names. It still only goes back 7 or 8 generations, but I have a lot of people... I was a little excited earlier because I thought I was related to Thomas Jefferson Tharp, and if that was the case, I would be able to have my great-great-great-great-great grandparents going back to 1640's in New Jersey................. But it was a different Thomas Tharp, married to a different Elizabeth :( So it's tough searching as normal I guess...

Anyway, I've just spent about an hour and 15 minutes doing this stuff, finding all kinds of names at ancestry.org... I was inputting everyone I could get until I realized that I wasn't even related to some of these people, they were so distant... So I went back to my 2nd or 3rd or whatever great grandparents, Thomas Tharp (born in 1823) and Elizabeth Roberts (born in 1820)... Now it took me quite a while to put this together in my head... But here goes, I'll try to outline this as easily as possible:

Thomas Tharp married Elizabeth Roberts ---> Robert Woodson Tharp married Mary Jane Moody---> Nathan Louis Tharp married Nettie Arlena Maddox

Thomas Tharp married Elizabeth Roberts ---> Mary Arlena Tharp married James Hamilton Maddox --> Nettie Arlena Maddox married Nathan Louis Tharp

Figure it out, party people?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

It took me a good half hour, but I got them put together...... NATHAN LOUIS THARP and NETTIE ARLENA MADDOX married each other... NATHAN LOUIS THARP and NETTIE ARLENA MADDOX are COUSINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek1: :eek1:

I know it was the late 1800's and it was Tennessee, but holy moly... I don't know if I can handle this kind of stuff................. :doah: :doah: :doah: :doah:

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Cool, nice conversational lull topic

3. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

lol we have some friends that are married (in their 50's now) and they found out that they were cousins 3 or 4 times removed. Enough to not be nasty but hey, they are still cousins, lol.

-Avery

4. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not a big deal back in the day, happened all the time. I had an aunt and uncle that had the same last name before marriage. 1st cousins:doah: .

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

My wife and I have a common relative. His name was Peter Mallory and he lived in New Haven, Conneticut in the 1640's. I guess we are "cousins".:haha: :haha: :haha:

Good thing none of my kids have 12 toes or anything.:haha: :haha:

Isn't family history fun?:D

6. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Straight out of Jeff Foxworthy. A high school buddy went to a family reunion many years ago and met lots of cousins he had never met before. He and his first cousin fell in love...got married. Turns out that she was adopted so no foul. But his parents were a little concerned at first.
    George

7. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Inbred:doah: :haha: :haha:

John

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

we're ALL related if ya go back far enough :wink1:

9. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

True, do you guys know how close we all know one another? I heard the fact just the other day but I can't remember. It wasn't a terribly long span though, something like we all know each other through 7-8 people. I don't know, it surprised me though.

-Avery