Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OH MY!!!!! Bottom leaf on rear spring is out of place

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Just today I noticed that the bottom leaf on my passenger side rear spring has twisted out of line. It wasn't like this last week FOR SURE because I was under the truck greasing it and I would have noticed. The rear of the leaf is about 2" out towards the tire, and the front of the leaf is the same inwards. Am I explaining this properly?

What might cause this? I'm assuming it's a loose center bolt........Is that right? Should I just bang it back into place and tighten the bolt or is there more to consider?

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

2. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it spun like the pin is the axis then just hammer it back into place and re-torque your ubolts. That grease probably helped it out too.

Rob

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Paul, I have seen quite a few GM trucks like that. Even the lift springs have done that, too.
    My 4" springs on the front of my K30 are slightly "off" and I have tried to pound them back inline. I didn't jack up the truck though and the springs would not budge. I need to jack it up to get the load off the springs and then the "off" ones should slide back in place.

I have no clue what to tell you how to prevent this from happening again.
    If someone wanted to, they could make some clamps to hold them together, but if those clamps were tightly wound around the pack, that would limit the springs travels up and down. [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Your talking about your overload spring right? The others have the clamp that holds them in place from side to side motion. Mine started to do that after I flipped it for more flex and all I do is kick the damn thing back into place and curse at it. It's not gonna come into contact with anything.(at least not on my truck) and i've tightened down all the neccesary bolts and it still does it. Don't worry about it. Just kick it back into place and curse at it!![​IMG]

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

HEHE!!![​IMG] The main reason that I'm worried is that it looks like the leaf could swivel enough to come in contact with the tire.

I tried only half-heartedy to get it back into place- maybe tomorrow I'll give it a little more effort. And just so everyone knows, these are the factory springs on a unmodded(suspension wise at least) 84......

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

6. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Won't your u-bolts stop it before it does that?

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

7. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

mine does that too. i will take a hammer, bang back in place so it looks right, and then as soon as i twist up the suspension it gets crooked again. i was thinking of cutting the ends of the overload off, maybe get a little more tire stuff that way too.

MTPockets

MAD MAX: http://community.webshots.com/user/mtpockets35

8. Headbanger

Headbanger 1/2 ton status

I have 6" superlift springs that do the same thing! I just take a 5 pound sledge, bang em back in after every trip, and check the u-bolts for tightness. I think that's all you can do without fabbing some sort of stop on the spring. Mine have never hit anything because of the u-bolts stopping it from going any further.

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Those of you having trouble keeping your springs lined up should take a look at a set of 1 ton rear springs. Not sure what years this applies to but, mine have an extra set of plates that extend about 2+ inches on each side of the u-bolts. These plates have brackets that constrain the springs from moving out of line. Sort of like the bands/clamps that are further out but they are close enough to the center (and loose at that) so that they do not bind. I retained them when I modified my spring pack for this very reason. Mine also has one of the lower leafs with the outer clamps riveted on. They have 2 arms that stick up from that leaf on each side of the pack to keep it in line. I also retained this leaf to keep it's clamps but took the cross bolt off the top (of the clamp) so that they do not affect droop at all.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

10. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Wouldn't 1 ton springs limit travel, and make the truck drive like a board? Not to mention what it has to do to FLEX [​IMG]

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I didn't say to *USE* the one ton packs. I said to "take a look" at the way they are made. You could even get the little plates and straps off the 1 ton packs and use them on your lift springs, stock springs, Ford springs, whatever. You could also take the single leaf that has the little u-brackets riveted on the end and replace the similar leaf in your pack to take advantage of that too. The 1 ton springs are not made up of a few super heavy leafs, most are pretty much the same as 1/2 ton leafs. Maybe slightly heavier, but not much, if any. However, they do have more leafs, mine had 9 I believe. Also, the 1 ton over-load is much thicker, almost 1/4 inch in the center. Mine is right at 1", and I'm told that 1/2 tons are more like 3/4.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.