Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oh my God, my shock mount! HELP! Pics included

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beefcake83, Sep 3, 2000.

1. beefcake83

beefcake83 1/2 ton status

Ever since I've owned my 83 Jimmy, there's always been annoying noises when going over bumps and such. Well, with the wife outta town, I finally had time to crawl under and investigate. Turns out, my upper shock mounts are bad. I don't know if it's a common problem with jimmys and blazers or not, but it appears that the upper holes are wollering out! The driver's side isn't bad, but the passenger side through the frame rail is BAD. I can move the shock by hand with the truck on the ground. Check out the pics I've attached and please offer me any suggestions - HELP! - Gary

Gary Graham
    '83 GMC Jimmy 350 'Beefcake'
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I dont know how much your wife actually will let you spend on it. The choice I did with our old Nissan was to weld a pre-drilled plate on each side of the frame and ran new studs thru. These plates were cut from 3/4" cold rolled plate steel I got from a metal yard. After the weld seam had been ground down and smoothed. I used POR-15 on the whole area to protect it. The labor time gets cut in half if you prep the area first. Most welders will come out to your location. But its up to you. They vary in cost. If you have your own mobile welder than thats even better.

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, you really dont have many options, you have to weld in new metal. You can have the hole welded in to make it round again and then either re drill it or take a rat tail file to it to make it round again. Or you can plate it with new metal. Mine was completly ripped up through the top of the frame. I had to weld up the cracks in the frame and then cut out a donor piece from a wrecked truck and I welded it in for a patch. Not long after I moved my shocks so the repair is working just fine.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

there are several reasons that this can happen. Air shocks or coil overboosters are a big no no on these trucks. The shock stud not being tight is also a big cause. Wrong length shocks is another. Part of your repair needs to include finding and correcting what caused this in the first place.
    As for the repair..I always preach don't weld on these frames because the welding changes the temper and causes weak spots. If you look GM did not weld anything to the fram. It's all rivited. Your going to have to weld to fix this. My best recomendation would be weld the cracks to hopefully stop them. Then grind any lip off where the hole is wallowed out so a patch will fit flush to the frame. When you weld it do the weld an inch skip an inch method and allow a good amount of cooling between welding. Drill a new hole for the shock mount. Paint and seal the area when done. It's not as bad as it looks, just need to make sure your repair is good and you should not have any more problems.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

5. beefcake83

For those who have replaced their shocks before... is there some kind of bushing in the frame already? If you look at my picture I originally posted, there looks to be like some kind of round piece that the bolt goes through. When I weld and re-drill, how will I get around this? - Gary

Gary Graham
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

There is a stud that's threaded at both ends that goes through the frame rail that come with the new shocks. I just got done doing this a week ago, I had to use a cut off wheel to get the old stud out then drill through to get the inside peice off. Then I ground everything smooth and inserted the new shock mount. Now everything is tight and the way it's supposed to be. The guy I bought the Blazer from welded the mounts in place so I couldn't simply remove the old ones and install the new ones. I hope the pic will help you see what I'm talking about when I say shock mount.

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

7. beefcake83

Well, looks like I'm gonna check out welding places to find someone who will fill up the hole so I can re-drill it. I removed the shock and got a look at just how big the hole has become.(Pic attached pretty close to size) - Gary

Gary Graham
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

8. MyK-5

MyK-5 Registered Member

I had that happen on mine too. I took two big old washers put one one either side of the frame tightend it down and welded the washers to the frame. I havent had a problem with it yet

Charley

81 Beater

9. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

That's the kind of stuff that happens when a person doesn't use the proper bushings with shocks.....the last guy probably didn't put the metal sleeve in the bushing like it's supposed to be and the bushing had that extra give and flex in it allowing it to warp the hole to it's present state.

<font color=purple>L8r,

.Riz.<font color=purple>

10. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

You should consider the upper bracket that came on K5's with dual shocks. Here's a pic of mine which you can see this bracket next to the shock. I just finished installing the F250 towers for the longer 9012 shocks (on left). The hole you have should be welded and filled.

[​IMG]

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

11. beefcake83

Hey Shawn - I have the dual shock set-up on the front
    of mine... but this problem is on the rear shockmounts. - Gary

Gary Graham
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew

12. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

DUH! Sorry, thought that was the front. My brain was still in Moab...

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

13. beefcake83

Shawn - Hey it happens... now i did look closer at my front shock mounts and turns out a previous owner has two secured with bolts that are too narrow. Don't ya just hate it when some people do stuff half-a--ed! Some folks shouldn't be allowed to work on their own vehicles. More for em to correct. - Gary

Gary Graham
    Eielson AFB, Alaska
    Metallica & Mountain Dew