Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OH MY GOD - Part II - You're not going to believe this BS!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1986Blazer, Jul 28, 2002.

1. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

OH MY GOD - Part II - You\'re not going to believe this BS!!!!!!!!

OK, the adventure continues. Today I managed to get it all together except for the brakes....I'll get to that story a little later....

First, I tried to get the Rough Country front springs to mate up to the axle. After what seem like wrestling a Rodeo Bull for an hour or more, I got ONE side to match up. I left it at that for the time being.

Later in the day (late evening actually) I got both sides to mate up to the axle. It took a come-along that I had to use in three different positions. But, hey.....that does not sound that hard, now does it.

I reinstalled the turning knuckle with the new ball joints - the only piece of cake procedure this entire day!!!!

I decided to start early to get the rear end in so (I had a little help for this part) rolled the new axle under the truck with the new springs hanging down. After some wrestling, we got it close and got one side to match up. Here is the MAJOR BULLSHIT!!!!! the other spring perch did not match up. It turn out the 14 Bolt I got was not even for a Blazer. I also noticed the shock mounts were on the wrong side......what else could go wrong.

So, we removed the axle and I proceeded to the cart it to the welding shop. We designed a quick repair. Out of 1/2" steel I fabricated a spring perch, not the nicest job but it worked. I then had to drill two 9/16" holes for the springs. Then, I rolled it back under the Blazer and amazingly they worked. BUT!!!!!! the old spring perches were in the way of the axle U bolts. So........

I got the actelyene tanks and cutting tip and burned away the parts that were in the way, again, not the nicest job but it worked. FINALLY, I got the rear axle in. Now, the driveshaft is DANGEROUSLY close to comming out of the transfer case - dont know what to do about that but hopefully it will work for awhile.

Now, I decided to install the 8 bolt hubs I got used. They used the same bearings as my 6 lugs so I kept the same hubs......and more on that later. I got the backing plate, hub and spindle installed fine, just like I've done many times before. BUT, this time the front axle shaft did not protrude out enough so I could get the snap ring on....WHAT IS UP WITH THAT????????

I got all the internal workings in, for the most part, and kept going. BUT, after I got it all back together, I realized I forgot to install the rubber seal that goes between the spindle and the axle. SO......I guess I am going to be removing all that again!!!! Any advice on how long I can drive around without those seals????

The last part, almost, was to reinstall the calipers. Well, I figured out I could not use my originals but I had a set of 3/4 ton calipers BUT......the mounts for the break lines are TOTALLY DIFFERENT. So, I have no brakes! I need to find new brakes lines AND FAST!!!!! Any recommendations for me getting them by Tuesday!!!!

I lifted the truck higher and got the new 35"s installed. It looks finished but IT IS NOT. So, anyone else have a good day!!!!

Please respond with help! My cell is 305-509-3300

Chris

PICS TO FOLLOW SOON!!!!!

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Re: OH MY GOD - Part II - You\'re not going to believe this BS!!!!!!!!

Springs are a PIA! Aren't they! It sounds like you bought a rear 1 ton 14FF! The spring perches are 1" too far in! They both need to be ground off and moved 1" out toward the brakes! I did this on my 1 ton conversion for my weekend rig! About the brakes, cal 4WP and ask them to overnight if you really need them by Tues! An an extended brakeline set costs about $100 with tax, but is the only way to go with a lift! I would normally wait till you could find a cheaper pair on here from someone who was gonna use but didn't, but it sounds like you're in a bind! Maybe you have a 4WP near by, I don't know! About the drive shaft, you're going to need a new one especially in the rear if you plan on wheeling it at all... I'm coming out to FL in 2 weeks if you want one of mine? Don't know how important it is to you? About the seal on the front, it's there for a big reason, as the gear grease breaks down due to heat, it liquifies and runs out without that seal.... All over your brakes! I'd change it as soon as Possible! Not to mention, debris gets in there and if you hit a water hole, it will wash all your lube right out! DId you only fix one side of your axle perches? If so, your axle will be slightly moved to one side and your truck will track like a dog..... Hope this isn't bad news, but informative! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. 1986Blazer

Nah,, not bad news just what I expected. What about the shock mounts in the wrong place???? What have other people done!!!!?????

I plan to do the spindle seals next Saturday. That will piss off the wife but I need to do it. Problem is, I have NO airtools at home so it may take a while to get it all done.

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

On a 1 ton axle, both perches are 40 inches apart(I think!) and when you mount it under the truck, unless you move both perches out 1" each, your Pumkin will move 2" left or right pending on which one you move! You're supposed to move both therefor leaving the pumpkin center(theoretically speaking) and moving the perches to mate with the springs..... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. 1986Blazer

I would LOVE one of your axles!!!!

Problem is I live in Key West! If you can drive it to Florida, the shipping may be cheaper that from where you live.

What are the specs on your driveshaft???? Is it the right length for a 4" lift with 35's???

I WANT IT!!!!!

Chris

6. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

IT's just a little work, by the way, you still have to move the shock mounts to the other side!!! What kind of TC are you using? That is the only way I can gaurenty them working! I'm coming to Stuart FL. in 2 weeks!!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

You don't need new front brake lines, just reuse your 1/2 ton calipers. Go try it they'll fit just fine.

8. 1986Blazer

I could not get the calipers to fit up on the caliper mount plate that was sent with the used 8 lug rotors. I guess I can try the other side but it was off on the side I tired.

Can I use the 6 lug backing plate??????

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

No you can't use the 6 lug backing plate. But the 1/2 and 3/4 ton calipers are the same externaly. They sometimes have different size pistons inside them. I reused my 1/2 ones when putting the complete 3/4 ton axle under mine. If you can't get them to work then order the new style lines, they should be the same at the frame end.

10. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I think Wess did a writeup on this info a while back, just can't remember the title.... Try searching for it, it tells everything that is swapable and not...

I think 70 is right, they do interchange! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The pro comp brake line kit from Summit Racing is part # EXP=7220 for the newwer size bango bolt. And EXP-7215 for the early size ones.

12. 1986Blazer

Thanks everyone!!!! I got to go to bed. Tomorrow I have to paint my boat AND continue to fix my truck. I will try to get the calipers to fit.

PLEASE KEEP THE INFO COMMING. I will be up again in a few hours and will read it all carefully!

Chris

13. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I don't think the banjo bolts are different!!!! I had an hour discussion with the owner of 4wp in Austin about this with my one ton aplication!!! It's how they attach to the frame that's different! I would go with the 7220, I did and I love the extra length, since the earlier years attach lower, they made them shorter, therefor go with the laters and they actually bolt on to the bracket and tehy are a little bit longer as well! I love my set and suggest them to anyone! GM used 3/8 Banjos in all there axles! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

14. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Call any hydraulic shop, they can make you new brake lines, one here did me some real good steel braided ones for $35 a piece and they are 24" long /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I had to rubber band them out of the way, I was guessing at the length and I guessed way too long /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

15. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The earlier ones used 7/16" bango bolts and the late ones used 10mm bango bolts according to my Pro Comp catalog.

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The 1/2 ton calipers bolt right up. The banjo bolts for 10 bolt fronts and D60's is the same, the D44 is the oddball one. I currently have 1/2 ton 10 bolt calipers on my 3/4 ton 8 lug D44...

You'll have to cut off the shock mounts carefully and weld em in the opposite way to match the upper shock locations on your truck...

Rene

17. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

how soon do you need the shock mounts fixed???? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

18. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Batman,
    You gonna stop by and give my truck the once-over, make sure it's all tight?
    Y'know, since you'll be in FL anyway. Maybe we can schedule stops for you, it's not like you wanted to relax or anything.

19. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

if your calipers wont fit it is usually because of a small notch of metal on the backside that is hanging up on the backing plate...grind that little tab of metal off and they will clear just fine...ive had to do that on three different trucks now and its always the same story...

and yes they are interchangeable...

Later

20. 1986Blazer

Rebel88 is correct!!!!

There was a small tab on the back side of the caliper I needed to grind down a few millimeters. Thank God I bought that DeWalt grinder a few weeks ago.

OK, that is done....just a few dozen tasks left!