Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OH MY GOD!!!! - Part III - Getting Better! Brakes almost working

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1986Blazer, Jul 29, 2002.

1. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

OK, I had to spend most of my day preping my boat for painting but between applications of fiberglass resin I was able to get the calipers on. I had to grind down a small tab on the back side of the caliper.

I also got the rear brake line connected but ran out of time so I was not able to get them bled. I need to find someone willing to waste about 1 hr pumping the brakes. I lost alot of fluid when I removed the rear brake lines.

I have the front shocks on and I got 90W in the 14B rear and engine oil in the engine. Damn, this thing is high. It is a good leap out of it.

I just need to bled the brakes. HEY.....how do I go about attaching the emerg brake lines from the 14B????? There are two cables comming out of the 14B that are about 3 ft long each. Thanks for any help.

Chris

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

first off did you get the correct cables to match up to your e-brake setup? i had to get "conversion" cables to work with my 88 from my 14 bolt because the 14 bolt was older...

otherwise on the driverside frame rail there is a bracket with one wire coming from up front into it and two outputs...thats where the ebrake cables go...just hook them up and tighten or loosen as necessary to adjust it

Later

3. 1986Blazer

Yea.....I saw that connector. The ebrake cable from the driver side is fine but the one from the passenger side does not look like it is long enough.

Both cables off the 14B are the same length. "Conversion Cables"??????? Any chance of elaborating on these - Where you got them, cost, etc.....

Chris

4. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

ummm lets see...i got mine from gm, dont remember the part numbers but they were like 40 or 50 bucks for both i believe...

the passenger side cable is longer than the driver side so it can stretch all the way over to that connector on the driver side frame rail...

ill see if i can find that number for the parts...just a warning youll have to pull that 14 bolt all the way back down in order to swap them...its a PITA

Later

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

On bleading the brakes have a bottle with a tight fitting hose into it. Crack one blead screw and slowly push the brake pedal down and very slowly let it up. Do this about 5 times and check the MC level. Keep the MC full. When you don't see any bubles in the line, go to the next side. I did mine this way and it came out fine.

6. 1986Blazer

I'm not dropping that axle again, come hell or high water!!!!

By droping the axle, do you mean disconnecting it from the springs or just remove the tires and lowering it?

So, since mine are the same length, I must have the wrong ones?

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

no no no...god no

i just mean youll have to disassemble the whole axle and pull the shafts out in order to get to the plates where the e brake cables bolt in

i believe you have the wrong ones...give me a day or two and i can snap some pics of mine

Later

8. 1986Blazer

Disassemble the axle, screw that! I think I can fab something before I have to do that!

I'd love some pics though.......

Chris

9. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

ill get right on that

Later

10. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

No what he's trying to say is you need to pull the axle shaft out and take the hub off the side you need to change to get at the brake backing plate. But till you need to do a brake job just hook up the one side it'll work till you get the 2nd side hooked up.

11. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

thanks for explaining that a little better for me...sometimes im not clear enough for my own good

Later

12. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

hi there i'm new here so if i make a mistake plz feel free to tell me ..

as far for the e brake cable have u tried to use ur old one's(the ones that were on the truck whit ur stock housing)
    the e brake setup u have for on ur 14b is for pre-83 truck

if u know were ur 14b came from maybe will be able to help more..

realy hope this helped u !!