Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OH my god this is a nightmare

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steedalx, Feb 28, 2004.

1. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

I am still trying to get my brakelights and blinkers working. At this point I have checked all the fuses, replaced the blinker fuse and replaced the brake light switch. This is whats going on.

1. I have no blinkers. Period.
    2. I have no brake lights. Period.
    3. The hazards do not work at all.
    4. My headlights/bright lights work fine.
    5. When I turn my head lights on the rear lights come on as normal, as well as the rear side marker lights. Nothing in the front lights up(side markers, front parking lights).
    5. When my head lights are off and I press the brake, the front blinkers light up(do not blink but stay light) and my front side markers light up. Also the rear side markers light up a little bit(not nearly as bright as they do when the head lights are on, but enough that I can tell they are lit).

This is very confusing. I have the manual and am going through all the wires making sure they are connected. Does anybody have any idea what I can do? Guess I am going back out to see if I can figure anything out.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Maybe the turn signal switch itself?

3. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

sounds to me like someone wired your truck up wrong. If you hit the brakes and other lights come on that means someone wired the blinkers and stuff into the brake system and disconnected the brakes. You could just run new wires but that would be a PITA.but then again it might be easier than figureing out what the hell is wrong with your wiring.

Nick

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

sounds like you may have a ground that is absent and the circuit may be backfeeding. there are at least 2-3 ground on the front headlight harness, not sure on the rear.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Remove each tail light lens and then the housing itself. In the lower section of each opening you should see a small bolt that holds a ground connection in place for the harness. When those get loose or corroded then all sorts of wierd things can happen.

If that checks OK, then it's probably time to check out the turn signal switch itself. I'm pretty sure that all of the circuits you mentioned are routed through that switch. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The easiest thing to do is to check your grounds. In the front there will be one going from the core support to the frame and from the frame to the battery. There may be two going from the core support to the frame in different locations.If you see a bunch of black wires under a bolt high on the core support somewhere and there isn't a ground either going to the battery or the frame put one in. In the rear there will be at least two ground straps to the frame. Usually there is a ground strap from the box to the fuel filler neck to the frame. Then there is another one at the left rear taillight. There may be one at the right rear taillight. If they look "iffy" replace both and add one to the right rear.

Since you just got done with that check your bulbs. Especially the rear ones. I recommend replacing them with "known good" ones if they look "iffy". I'd just plain replace the brakelight bulbs. They're probably dark anyway.

If nothing has changed, replace your turn signal blinker with a "known good" one. Just go yank one out of another vehicle, chances are it's the same.

If nothing changes still, unplug your rear lights. It'll be a black connector about 1" in diameter found inside the C-channel of the frame on the driver's side between the bumper and the rearmost crossmember. If that fixes it, somebody has ghettoed back there for a trailer.

If none of this fixes it, it's probably time to start tracing wires. I'd start under the dash looking to see if some goon butchered for a plow or trailer.

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Check the wiring from the fuse panel down.
    When you checked the fuses did you verify that there was voltage on both sides?
    Check all ground connections. (a bad ground can give ya all kinds of funky symtoms)
    Since your headlights and tail lights are on another circuit and seem to be unaffected you can rule that out.
    That leaves the brake and turn/hazard circuit, which goes through the turn signal switch.
    BTW nice break down on the symptoms. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

what he said..

ground is a common issue, also look for pinches wires, on my 75 I wired the tail lights into the radio, if the radio stopped working I knew the lights were out...

yes i have some redneck in me /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Do your signal markers in your dash light up when you hit the brake? If they do you may have a problem with the flashers themselves. I'm also wondering if there's a bad connection somewhere in your steering column.. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif since all the controls for the blinkers/hazard are at the column.

If you have the wiring diagrams for the truck, check for voltage at the wires at the column for power out to lights/relays..
    That's all I can think of right now.. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Also, do you have voltage to the rear light sockets? not the parking light but the brake/signal light contact on the sockets.. Do your front signals/hazards work?? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the information. I will pick up working in the morning. To answer some questions
    1. I will start tomorrow by checking all the grounds that were mentioned. I will check the rear wires to see if someone rigged some wiring for a trailor. I have not seen anything like that but it's possible.
    2. I have already replaced the the bulbs with new ones.
    3. No my turn signal markers in the dash do not light up at all. Probably burned out though.
    4. I will recheck fuses to make sure there is voltage on both sides.

More info: The guy who had this truck before me for some reason moved the high/low beam switch from the floor to a toggle type switch on the dash. Why I don't know. There are 2 wires that are comming out of that wiring harness that aren't connected to anything. I am still working to find out where they are suppose to go. I don't know if the brake lights ever worked but I know at one point in time I had blinkers(at least in the front). One day they stopped working but I swear I hadn't messed with any kind of wiring.
    From the wiring diagram it looks like the hazard, blinkers and brake lights all run through the turn/hazard switch. I assume there could be something loose or the switch may have gone bad.
    Here is a link to a turn signal switch I found. Turn Signal Switch In order to get to the switch do I have to pull the steering wheel or is there an easier way?

12. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

My vote is that it is the turn signal switch....I've seen it before... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

my blazer does some weird stuff too sometimes. randomly the headlights will come on with the brakelights or only one side will light up with brakes. when this happens my turn signal lights on the dash indicate which light is coming on. if i just turn the emeregency flashers on and off a few times it fixes it. how hard is it to swich the emergency flasher swich?

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Jeez guys come on....I'm surprised nobody has said this yet.

CHECK YOUR BLINKER FLUID!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    my blazer does some weird stuff too sometimes. randomly the headlights will come on with the brakelights or only one side will light up with brakes. when this happens my turn signal lights on the dash indicate which light is coming on. if i just turn the emeregency flashers on and off a few times it fixes it. how hard is it to swich the emergency flasher swich?

[/ QUOTE ]

The emergency flasher switch is a pain in the butt. It almost feels like it isn't going anywhere. I jiggled it and tried it in different positions with no luck.

Blinker fluid? Where is that at?

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ground strap.

Ground goes to the Engine usualy the Alternator bracket. There is a pigtail from the battery to the coresuport. Then the main body ground is off the back of the passengerside head to the firewall next to the blower box. That's the one to check. I bet you going to find it off.

WHat's happening is the running lights are pulling ground back through the harnees through the front turnsignals.

17. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ground strap.

Ground goes to the Engine usualy the Alternator bracket. There is a pigtail from the battery to the coresuport. Then the main body ground is off the back of the passengerside head to the firewall next to the blower box. That's the one to check. I bet you going to find it off.

WHat's happening is the running lights are pulling ground back through the harnees through the front turnsignals.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok so I just went and checked the grounds. I do have a ground strap that runs from a header bolt to the body by the blower motor. It is on securly but looks to be a little coroded. I wil replace it. When you say a "pigtail from the battery to the core support" do you mean running off the ground or positive. I have 2 wires that run off of the positive to some type of relay by the core support. But the only groud wire on the battery run to the block and is attached to a waterpump bolt.

I have 2 grounds that look to be running from the alternator that are attached to the core support on the drivers side. There is also a hard plastic black box mounted beside the drivers headlight that 4 wires from the main harness run into. Anybody know what these go to?

18. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I know others have said these before, but here's my $0.02 in this order, as I've had crazy things happen and pulled my hair out only to find a simple problem...

1) Groud straps Ground straps Ground straps!!! They could be anywhere, under the dash, on each corner near brake/signal/marker lights, engine grounds, etc. Bad grounds do crazy things!

2) Trailer wiring. Seen lots of trailer wiring /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif jobs. If you didn't do it yourself or even if you did, check your work. Can cause all sorts of mayhem.

3) Turn signal switch. Fairly cheap and If you've done one before not really that bad to replace.

4) Blinker Fluid. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Good Luck!

19. steedalx

steedalx 1/2 ton status

Ok well i'm getting somewhere. I pulled the steering wheel and messed with the hazard and the turn signals in the front started working. The back still do not. So correct me if I am wrong. The rear tail light/brake light are suppose to funcion as a turn signal also. So the same bulb will have 3 functions? Is this correct?

20. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Yup two filaments three functions. What your turn signal switch does is interrupt the path to the light and routes it through the flasher. So one brake light stays on and the other blinks. Hope that makes sense. Good luck to ya.

Allan