Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OH MY GOD!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

TPI is AMAZING. It is AWESOME. I got my truck to run tonight and I buttoned it up somewhat. I got it to run and move. I took it and drove it. OH GOD!!!

I backed it out of the garage into my alleyway (gravel alley). Turned the wheels toward the alley exit and punched it. I spun the tires, the ass end kicked way out and I almost side swiped a telephone pole and trash can. Got it on black top and acceleration was KICK ASS. I can't believe it. The feeling ranks right up there with sex. I am giddy.

TPI IS THE SH!T. Worth the 4 months down time and every penny.

Harley

p.s. Thanks everyone who helped me for your help and guidence.

2. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

Harly I am very happy for you /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, glad to hear it's alive, my truck is another story though...

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

congrats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif sounds like you are very happy with it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Glad to hear it. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So, thinking of going back to carb for the simplicity then eh?

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I hear ya! When I swapped out a tired Q-jetted 350 for the '87 'vette engine I was amazed at the difference. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif First time I pulled out of the driveway and punched it the truck laid rubber for at least 50 feet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The only way to get it to even make a sound from the 35's before that was to do a neutral drop. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

After that one suffered severe indigestion and coughed a rod through the side of the block I "upgraded" things just a bit. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif A 383 short block was procured, with a fairly stout cam installed inside. The heads were ported and treated to a 3-angle valve job. The manifold base and plenum were hogged out considerably. A set of Lingenfelter runners were installed, along with slightly larger injectors. Shazam!!! I thought the 'vette 350 was hot, but the 383 blew my mind! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Congrates! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mike

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Sweeet!!!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Can't wait to ge my FI454 done!
    Just like sex egh? Man I need to get movin on this project!! hehehehehe /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

When and if I ever go FI, it will be TPI.

9. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

F.I. Rocks!! there is just no way around it! Congrats on the Upgrade. Enjoy!

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

so what did u have to do swap a harness or something? or was ur truck FI befor? sounds fricken awesome good job man!!

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    TPI is AMAZING. It is AWESOME. I got my truck to run tonight and I buttoned it up somewhat. I got it to run and move. I took it and drove it. OH GOD!!!

acceleration was KICK ASS. I can't believe it. The feeling ranks right up there with sex. I am giddy.

TPI IS THE SH!T. Worth the 4 months down time and every penny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is. My 406 could break them loose with a Detroit on dry pavement. TPI rocks........ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Um, not sure about the sex comparison but it's pretty rad. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Congrats Harley /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I know how you feel. I am actually gonna be pulling my BBC out here in a month or to to start warming it up a bit more...Gonna putsome aluminum heads, MPFI and a much more radiacal cam in it. I am gunning for the 450hp mark. I bought a Jeep Cherokee to run around fort fun in so I can deal with the truck being outta commission for a while...

On your TPI, did you use an intank fuel pump or do one mounted on the frame rail? How did you plumb the return line to the tank? I will be putting FI on my 71 C10 shortie here soon enough and will have to deal with tsuch issues... Peace out bro.

Chris

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

write up? pics? tech article?

j

14. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Sound great.... I still want to do this upgrade sometime.... congrades on the upgrade....

15. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

For the return line I spliced a return point into the gas filler neck with a Moroso FI return line kit. It puts the gas back into your filler neck and it runs back into your tank. This was before I realized I already had a return line from the factory. (pays to do homework before you dive into things) The fuel pump is mounted to my body near the rear fender well. I used an external MSD MPFI pump. $90 for a pump isn't to bad. Everything else was $140+. The only problem is it is loud.

Most of my return line I plumbed threw my old hardlines that fed the mech pump. I plumbed my feed line threw MPFI softline, and threw parts of the old return line or maybe it was the vent line.
    As far as the whole sex thing, this is pretty up there.
    My truck was not previously FI. It was stock Qjet. I had to swap in a wiring harness for the FI system, install (and modify) the intake manifold, injection rails, plenum, runners, throttle body, plumb a fuel system for a 45PSI fuel pump, fuel filters, fuel pump, and of course install the computer, relays, sensors, and wire everything up.

I used a painless wiring harness (came with my setup when I bought it used) and I used as many stock parts as I could.

It is amazing the difference.
    As for installing a vette motor, I imagine that would be pretty sick, but I just swapped in the TPI on my old motor and it made a hell of a difference.

Harley