Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oh my! My shaft is short!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by berndogg, Jun 15, 2004.

1. berndogg

berndogg Registered Member

I have an '87 Burban with a 6" BDS lift and my front drive shaft seems to be streched to it's limit. It seems to work all-right at crawling speeds, but when I pick up momentum to blast through mud or snow I know it whips like a jumprope and I sure can feel it. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew if I could find a longer shaft off another vehical of any kind that would fit or if I just need to have a modified shaft made. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is no place to talk personal like that /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You need to have one made. 700R4-208 is the longest stock combo offered in these trucks. Your shaft is over 6" longer than mine right now, and my truck has a custom made shaft for the 6" lift I've got.

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Actually, the 700R4/208 is the same length as a TH400/208 and a SM465/208.
    I am 100% sure of this. The adapter makes up for the difference in the different tranny lengths. I have done the swap between all of these and can verify it is true. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

To be clear, I know nothing of the 205/203 combinations. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Agreed, for a 6" lift, a longer front shaft is a must IMO.

John

5. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is no place to talk personal like that /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

-but we're talkin bout da shaft: then we can dig it-

one thing berndogg forgot to mention was that our buddy was running a jeep shaft /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif w/ 8" of lift! (now that's honkey)
    http://www.vttuner.com/glr/Alex/104_0477.JPG
    and he hamma's it.
    I think what berndogg was wondering was if there was any other kinds of vehicles he could use?