Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OH NO!!! 305 died today. Where can i get a really cheap 350?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigjblazer, Jul 18, 2002.

1. bigjblazer

bigjblazer Registered Member

Well the 305 threw a rod today. It led of good life of 160k miles. Looks like it's time for a 350. Im in the Atlanta area, and am on an extremely tight budget. Where can i get a 350? I have the 700R4 transmission, which is getting a rebuild while the motor is going to get replaced. Its in an 84 k-5, if that helps. Im 17 and this is my daily, so if anyone can help or has a 350 for sale. PLEASE HELP. Thanks for any help or advice you may have.

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

have you priced pep boys or auto zone? i dont think you will get a ton of performance but the prices could be reasonable

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Scoggins-Dickey has some of the best prices on crates I have found. Their basic, 249HP pre-87 350 is around $1500. That may be out of your range, but it is a good deal for a new, warranted, practically ready to go crate.

4. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Yeah, that crate motor from SDPC is just about the best buy you can find. I was looking for a motor really heavily about a month ago and that motor looked to be the best starting point/deal I could find.

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Here is another one that I have researched heavily. If you don't have a core, you can talk them into knocking off $100 of the core charge as they will ship in a standard shipping crate versus one of their fancy core-return crates. Theirs comes with a nationwide 5 year/100K mile warranty for parts AND labor. They also have a souped up 4x4/towing version (about 300-315 HP) available. I am considering getting one of these to replace my bad motor and then build mine back up later as a spare.

Just some thoughts.

6. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Walmart /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

How much?

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Scoggin-Dickey is in Lubbock, right? Seems like I saw a commercial for them when I was out there...anyone have experience with the '90's Caprice cop car motor?

9. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

If you're talking about the 4x4 version of the 350 it is $1399+$350 core. Not a bad deal in the slightest.

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Honestly, your local GM dealer may well be the best place. They sell *brand-new* (not remanufactured or rebuilt in anyway) long-block 350's ... they're set to TDC, just drop in your distributor, bolt on the water pump, and go.

It is worth calling around; I was quoted from $1300 to $1500+ for mine (1974 Blazer, and this was ... sheesh, five years ago now), so it pays to let your fingers do the walkin'. I have three or four GM dealers within 20 miles, and picked the one with the best price and nicest guy on the phone.

It's not necessarily a high performance motor -- basically a stock replacement -- but it's inexpensive, has a decent warranty (3 years, 50K miles maybe? I forget) and dammit, it's NEW, just like your truck came with. Well, just like your truck SHOULD have come with -- 305's are almost as much of a travesty as the 350 Oldsmobile diesels ;-)

You can get higher performance motors from GM, but then you spend more $$ and get into potential smog issues. Their basic replacement longblock crate engine is, IMHO, what you should be looking at.

And no, I don't work for GM or nuthin' ... just a strong believer in that longblock. I worry about a lot of things exploding on my Blazer, but the engine ain't one of them. ;-)

-- A