Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oh No, Bad Brush Fire

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Just got word from a guy that works for another dept., got a brush fire down at the lake. We have a T-storm moving through the area and winds are above 30mph and it's dried than a popcorn fart. He just told me they have ambulance en route for a down FF with smoke inhalation.

Hope the guys get through this one unscathed. We've got a kick ass group of firefighters around these parts.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

The sirens have been screaming around here all evening. The fire trucks have been hauling ass somewhere. There hasn't been squat for rain in a while and the grass is getting pretty dry again. I guess We will be getting the thunder storms tomorrow night.

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

It's dry in Colorado too. Setting records for temps and drought. Total ban on fireworks, campfires, et.

It's bad.

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

When I was driving to work to day I heard on the radio that it was an extreme fire danger day. Winds were steady all day, not good.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

It was really bad up here today. High hit 99 and the winds were steady at or above 20. It was range day for us and I should have packed more fluids, I'm still dehydrated.

What amazes me is I just checked the radar again and this whole county was covered by those beautiful green radar images and it's still dry. Must be evaporating before it hits. I hope this stuff doesn't continue all summer cause the fire danger will just get higher. We haven't lost a house yet to a brush fire this year, though we came close a few months ago and the current fire, I don't know the exact location except for the general area where my buddy told me and there's some houses straight north and with this wind, if they are close, it'll be hard to protect them. Haven't heard anything from him since, just said he could see flames from about 7 miles away..................

6. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Fire is some scary ****. Awhile back in Texas there was a HUGE brush fire that totaly destroyed an entire town and severely damaged 2 or 3 others. I dont remember the name of the one that got destroyed but my old roommate was from one of the ones that got damaged. I believe that fire burned 30,000 acres in a day. Severe drought and 50 mph winds made it litterally almost physically impossible for the firefighters to outrun it, much less fight it. Not to mention they were all brush country small town units and were using 30-40 year old equipment. Somehow, they got it under control and nobody was even injured. Rural firefighters have some major cajones (not to take anything away from their urban counterparts).

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Wasn't that the big one in the Panhandle not long ago? I know we got some cattle trucked up here that got burned up in it.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Been dry for going on forever here , if its not humans its mother nature . We had some touched off by lightning last week or so when it hardly rained at all ..... AGAIN !

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Yah bubba it was somewhere up north. Like I said no people dies but a ****load of livestock was lost. There's a really good article about in a Texas Monthly from a few months ago.

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Reason I asked cause what was it, around the first of the year, all those fires broke loose up there around Dallas and the stateline, and then the ones in the Panhandle.

I don't remember it ever being this dry. We only got three snows during the winter, and the first one was a dry snow. Then it dried up, got a solid month of spring rain, then dry again.

As much as I hate the rain, a good solid 30 days of rain would be nice right about now..................