Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oh no, Did I mess up my brakes?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coolhandluke, Jun 17, 2002.

1. coolhandluke

coolhandluke 1/2 ton status

I just had to replace my front rotor. When I pulled it off, the dirt guard/dust cover thing (goes most of the way around the rotor, with a space cut out for caliper) was pretty beat up. One of the local k5 guys was helping me out, and said it's not needed, it just traps mud up there, so I threw it away. Well, now I can't figure out how to mount the caliper! isn't this thing needed to mount the caliper? If it's not, how do I fake one? where in the world would sell these, or should I start hitting a junk yard?

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yea, you threw away the backing plate...What it does tend to trap mud, it IS needed to mount the caliper...I know people who have cut the dust shiled part off the backing plate and kept the mounting bracket...if you can't retrieve it, go to a bone yard and you can get one pretty cheap...

Chris