Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OH no!!!! ?Help 203

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Aug 25, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

well I got the old burban back from the shop today and the fellow had fixed the transfer case seal and parking pawl... I drove it to the center of town and then 15 miles home.... I thought it was driving a little funny... so when I was almost home, I parked it and look at the shifter... :crazy: ....thats funny, looks like buddy at the transmission shop had put it in 4 LOCK !... so I shifted it into 4 hi and drove it the remainder of the way home.... the tires never broke loose around corners.... :mad:

SO WHAT DID I DESTROY ON MY NP203? or could they survive a voyage on the pavement?

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

nah you dident wreck it, maybe more wear on the tires, or u joints but i dont think you would have dont anything to the t case

3. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

:bow:
    ttt
    any seconds on that?

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

No harm done probbly...

A NP203 has a differential in the tailshaft--unless yours has a conversion kit to eliminate it,no harm should be done driving it on asphalt in 4wd--GM intended it to be driven in "4 HI" on the street!--driving it in 4 HI "LOC" might do some damage,but its unlikely..you'd have felt the wheels jerking and slipping around corners and pulsations in the steering if it were binding badly..if you have locking hubs,usually one of them would slip with a loud BANG or break before anything else most likely..they seem to be the weakest link...

I drove my plow truck with a NP205 part time case in 4HI with the hubs locked going to plow customers,and hit spots on the street that were bare pavement for 3 miles or more--you could feel the truck "fighting" itself,and jerking while taking corners,but nothing ever broke or got damaged.....
    .I wasn't going 70 either though...I doubt any harm was done to your 203--but I would not make a habit of driving it in any "LOC" positions on tar roads.. :crazy:

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Is it makeing funny noises I drive in HI lock in the winter quite a bit and you do get dry patches of pavement I forgeot to shift it one(hubs were locked) time and drove almost 50 miles on the intersate and about 10 miles in town and when i figured out why my blazer was driving weird I just shifted it out and everything was fine