Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OH NO....Honda Accord Help needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by readymix, Jun 1, 2006.

1. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Well, my brother in law's 1999 Accord LX failed smog due to a CEL. He had it scanned and it came up with 3 codes. I have researched them as much as I could and came up with the following.
    What I need to know is if I am overlooking anything here? Any tech help would be great.
    And someone tell me what I am getting into with the "A" Solenoid. The only oart of a car/truck that I don;t like to touch is the auto trannys.

[FONT=tahoma,sans-serif]P1298 Electric Load Detector (ELD) Circuit High Voltage (Acura and Honda specific)
    most obvious cause is fuse related. check your under dash fusebox for a 7.5A [FONT=verdana,arial,sans-serif][FONT=verdana,arial,sans-serif]alternator[/FONT][/FONT] fuse. is it blown? if it is, replacing it will only lead to it blowing again. most likely cause would be a power wire grounding out.
    -or-
    The ELD is built into the fuse box, and usually when you get an ELD code it's because of a short or other problem somewhere else in the electrical system, and not necessarily a problem with the ELD itself. Did your friend do any electrical work lately? The ELD code usually comes up when someone does some sort of electrical install and crosses the wrong wires, etc.

I have a troubleshooting guide for this, plus I am a self professed wiring guru. I doubt that solving this one will be an issue at all.

P0420 catalyst system efficiency below threshold ( bank 1 )
    Basically this means that the oxygen sensor downstream (after) the catalytic converter on bank 1 is detecting that the converter is not working as efficiently as it should be (according to specs). I did fond out that 98-02 Accords are apparently notorious for bad catalytic converters, even as early as 50,000 miles. The part from the dealer is $800.00 and $182 from SUMMIT.. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=CTO%2D4145&N=4294923429+4294907813+4294907606+4294924667+4294838974+115&autoview=sku

A code P0420 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
    • Leaded fuel was used where unleaded was called for (nope)
    • An oxygen sensor is not reading (functioning) properly (could be)
    • The engine coolant temperature sensor is not working properly (could be)
    • Damaged exhaust manifold / catalytic converter / exhaust pipe (could be)
    • Retarded spark timing (doubt it)
    • Could also be caused by a cracked exhaust manifold. You can't really see it as there is a heat shield in the way around the primary O2 sensor.
    • Loose gas cap
    P0753 shift solenoid A electrical
    Could be the solenoid or the connector/wiring

I am still trying to do a little research here to be sure that we are not going to waste any money. [/FONT]

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Let me be the first to say AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH TECH!!!!!!!!! :D

3. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

how many miles are on it..... Honda warrantys emmision related failures up to 100k
    gabe

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

:crazy: :p: :crazy:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

OOPS on the tech. dumb me,

The car is a salvage that thye have had for a few years so it would not be covered under any warranty.

6. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Code po420 is a bad cat. Honda's is 8/80 on the cat. As for the other codes have you cleared them and see what resets? In all Honda troubleshooting it tells you to clear and if resets then do the troubleshooting tree. Try these first then let me know I will bring home the shop manuel Friday and help you if needed.

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Well he is in Long Beach and completely car retarded so I won't even have the car here until next Wednesday. He bought a new cat and solenoid last night so I guess we will just change them and see.
    How hard is the solenoid to get to. I can rebuild manual trannies and transfercases in my sleep......but I have not touched an auto tranny other than a ford AOD.