Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OH NO WHAT DID I DO?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wraenking, Sep 24, 2004.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

ok, so you all know i have been having trouble getting my engine to run right. well, i had a tapping on the drivers side, sio i figured maybe i didnt adjust the rockers right. well, i brought the timing mark to zero, removed the dist cap, and it was not pointing at number one, so i rotated it 360 so it was.

i re adjusted all the rockers just the way the book told me, and when i went to go start it, nothing. and it sounds a little wierd. what could i have done? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Sounds weird how? Spins too freely like there's not enough compression (valves too tight?)or does it "bind" like it's out of time (dist positioned wrong?)?

I'd recheck the distributor position first, bring the crank up to TDC **with compression in the #1 cyl** and check the rotor positions relation to the cap/wires. If that looks ok, make a few random compression checks to see if the valves are too tight (staying open causing inadequate or no compression).

3. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

it feels like it has to work to hard to crank her over. i didnt think i did anything to make it go out. i removed the dist cap like i said, made sure the rotor was pointing at # 1 cylander (tdc compression stroke) and the readjusted)

please tell me i didnt kill the motor....

also, when i tightened them, i tightened them down until i could no longer sping the rod with my fingers, then i went 3/4 turn more

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    i brought the timing mark to zero,

[/ QUOTE ] When you brought it up to TDC are you sure it was on the intake stroke and not exhaust?

Any backfiring when cranking over? Sounds like you are 180* off.

5. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

when it is pointing at #1, and the mark is lined up, isnt it at tdc compression?

6. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

if your not sure pull the number one plug out and put your finger over the hole then turn the motor over by hand till you feel compression in the cylinder when you feel the compression get a long peice of hay wire or mech wire and run it down the cylinder till you hit the piston (don't drop it in the hole /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif)then continue to turn it over by hand till you feel the piston push the wire up till it stops or starts going back down then check your distibuter this way you know your in the right spot /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    then check your firing order 18435672 iirc

7. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    then check your firing order 18435672 iirc

[/ QUOTE ]

8. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

9. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

i actually used a printout form the internet to adjust them. i used the book last time, so i thought it might be wrong. its a little different then the book. ill have to wait for tomorrow. i pulled the dist and broke the gasket. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

10. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

is this a crate motor or did you have your existing motor rebuilt? the reason i ask is you could have the wrong harmonic ballancer on there. there are some differences through the years and it will be impossible to time in right with the wrong one. went through this with a buddy of mine when he put a crate motor in his blazer and used his old harmonic balancer. couldn't get it timed right. don't know if this is the case with you, but something to think about.

11. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i brought the timing mark to zero, removed the dist cap, and it was not pointing at number one,

[/ QUOTE ]

so where was it pointing? it sounds like your 180 deg out.

if it was running befor you moved your dist then when you lined up your timing mark and it was "off" it was actually not "off".

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Easy way to remember firing order. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

18x2=36, 36x2=72

so you end up with 18 36 72, only ones left out are 4 and 5, which fit in the gap between the numbers, in numeric order. Just have to remember to start with 18, but thats easy...pretty quickly, you will remember it without doing the math.

13. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    when it is pointing at #1, and the mark is lined up, isnt it at tdc compression?

[/ QUOTE ]

50/50 chance. The crank can be at TDC on both the compression and exhaust strokes. Bring the mark up to TDC and look for compression at the same time. I agree with the group, you're just out of time. No harm done, just more work. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

thanks a lot for the replies guys. well, back to wrenching in the morning /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. socalblazer

socalblazer 1/2 ton status

I'd start by removing the #1 plug and cranking the motor over with your finger lightly covering the plug hole as stated above. As the piston comes up on the compression stroke you'll feel the air coming out. Now you can use the balancer to set the engine to TDC. Watch the valves on the #1 cylinder to see if they both close all the way when the engine is at TDC. Since it was running before you can assume that the balancer marks are correct. Once you're at TDC you can set the distributor. Once that's done you can adjust the valves starting at #1 since you're already at TDC #1 cylinder. I adjust the valves to where I can no longer move the pushrod up and down and leave it at that. I think the extra 3/4 turn may be a little tight. Basically 0 lash and no tighter. I've been told that it's easier on the lifters and I've never had a problem, never lost a lifter or flattened a cam and the engines run really smooth. Do the same to each cylinder by rotating the engine by hand and watching that the valves are fully closed before adjusting. Hope it works out for you.

16. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

so, only tighten until the rod doesnt move up and down, no to where you cant spin it anyomre?

and how the hell do you turn the engine over by hand and do everything alse? mines a bitch to turn over by hand.

17. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Tom...

pull your plugs to spin it over by hand, much easier...

if ya need a remote start switch to bump it over, let me know, you can borrow mine...

18. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Those valves are to tight. Either use the up and down method described, or spin til you start to feel a 'little' drag, then a 1/2 turn more.

Pull them plugs for this. Recheck dist. on the no. 1 compression stroke and drive happily ever after.

19. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    1 good question. Is the camshaft setup degreed? I know you said it has a big cam in it. If the timing gears are set up pre advanced it will throw the stock timing mark off . when it was running the mark was off the charts which makes me think it is degreed.also get a compression guage on it and see what you have. That will tell you if you have the rockers adjusted correctly /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gifGood luck

20. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

If the lifters were installed new and never filled with oil or "pumped up" you may have them all collapsed.
    Fire up the engine (no matter how bad it runs) with the valve covers off.

Back off each rocker arm untill it clatters and squirts oil out of the pushrod/rocker arm and then slowly tighten up till it stops clattering and then preload 1/2 turn more.

You have to let the oil pressure pump up the internals of the lifter. I know it makes a mess and a bunch of smoke but setting them this way has never failed me once. In fact I have a pair on valve covers with the tops cut out just for this purpose. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif