Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OH, Please, NOT another "What's it Worth" Post!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 350350, Oct 24, 2004.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

OH, Please, NOT another \"What\'s it Worth\" Post!!!

Help Please Guys!!!

He wants $6,500 for it.
    It books for $3,000.
    I want it.

What is it???

A K5 of course... A '91 Chevy with 148,000 miles on it... if you didn't know about the preceeding '1', you would easily believe it was only 48,000 miles even after close inspection. It is extremely clean, underneath, under the fender wells, under the hood, no leaking fluids have spewed out under the truck, not a spec of rust anywhere. No signs of bodywork at all, and the only imperfection I can find is that the hood has been repainted and the roof has some paint coming off it. Easily and cheaply fixed.

Otherwise, it's an excellent looking truck... White '91 2-tone with a silver stripe, silver rallye wheels. Like I said, the truck looks great, and you really don't see the roof unless you're 7' tall. The interior is also mint, has every option except leather, has a 6 disc CD system and more stereo than I'll ever use, but still nice to have.

The truck has 33x12.50-15 B.F. Goodrich All-Terrains on it and comes with an extra set of rallyes with the same size Super Swampers on them. No lift.

It has a TBI 350 with a rebuilt 700R4 that has 15,000 miles on it (he has receipts) and I'm assumint the NP241 t-case. 10-bolts front and rear... 3.42 gears, Gov-Lok rear.

Overall a super clean truck, just has high miles but runs and drives great regardless. High miles don't scare me... I have a '92 Conversion van with the TBI 350 and over 150K miles, and it runs strong as an ox, burns no oil, and I expect at least another 50K out of it easily...

This would be a great spare vehicle for us, the Wife could haul the kids in it on snow days, I could use it as a spare for when the car is down for projects, and it will be perfect for mild trail rides when I start taking the family again... The kids are a little young right now, but next summer or the summer after we'll be re-entering the trail riding world again, and a nice truck with A/C for the family to do mild trail rides to get the kids involved will be great.

So what is a truck like this really going for in the real world? Book value doesn't mean squat, and I know it's only worth what you're willing to give for it... But I don't want to pay $5,500 (I got him down that far...) for a truck that I can't get $3,000 out of if I need cash in 6 months.

Maybe just some similar examples of what you guys paid for your similar rigs would be great? I really like this truck and am afraid I'm going to do an impulse buy and end up paying too much!!!

Thanks in Advance,
    Paul

2. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Re: OH, Please, NOT another \"What\'s it Worth\" Post!!!

Used cars/trucks are just like houses... they are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them...! The big question is what is it worth to YOU?

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

buy it for 6500 so ppl will start to think the value of a 91 k5 is really good. i got mine for 3400 and id like to sell it for 6500. (cept mine only has 98000 miles)

4. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    buy it for 6500 so ppl will start to think the value of a 91 k5 is really good. i got mine for 3400 and id like to sell it for 6500. (cept mine only has 98000 miles)

[/ QUOTE ]

Was yours mint when you bought it? Have all the options???

5. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Used cars/trucks are just like houses... they are worth whatever someone is willing to pay for them...! The big question is what is it worth to YOU?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the answer to that is, Yes, it's worth $5,500 to me, but I never buy anything that I can't get my money back out of... So I'm wondering about market value. I guess I should have taken some pictures...

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

91 K5, $3000 max. No way it's worth $6500 with 10 bolts f/r.

7. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was yours mint when you bought it? Have all the options???

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine was a 91 silverado with EVERYTHING except vinyl seats. I even have auto mirrors.

It had quite a bit of rust tho. oh and BTW just because it has 10 bolts dosent mean its less valuable then a truck with 1 ton drive train. i could put a 12 lift with the cheapest of everything and turn around and sell it to a stupid kid and make some money.

this guy most likeley isint a 4x4 nut and has probably never heard of a dana 60. so i wouldent use that to try to get him down on the price.

the guy who i got mine from gave it to me for the price of a carmax cash offer

8. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

3 years ago when I bought My 1990 Jimmy (SLE, all options except power mirrors) The guy wanted $8,000 for it /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif It was the cleanest K5 I had seen in 6 months of searching allll over New England. So I gave him $6,400 and called it a day. Looking back...that was WAY too much money, and I have since dumped over $20,000 into the truck /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif But hey, I still have fun with my truck, albeit expensive fun, but fun nonetheless. And that's what it's REALLY about right /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

I bought my 88' in perfect condition, no rust, small lift, tires wheels, with only 70,000 miles for $4500. now everyone cusses me cause it has no doors no top and aa bit of trimming /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

10. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i bought my 89' k5 for 6grand 2 years ago. mint condition,all options.mechanic owned(family friend). rebuilt rear 10b w/ trutrac.117k. lots of little upgrades and spare parts,but basically stock. i figured that was top dollar, but the peace of mind knowing that it hadnt been offroaded or beatup was worth it.

i'd offer 5grand cash.

11. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i bought my 89' k5 for 6grand 2 years ago. mint condition,all options.mechanic owned(family friend). rebuilt rear 10b w/ trutrac.117k. lots of little upgrades and spare parts,but basically stock. i figured that was top dollar, but the peace of mind knowing that it hadnt been offroaded or beatup was worth it.

i'd offer 5grand cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

We went up to $4500 and they said they couldn't go below $5500... I guess they still owe money on it so maybe they still owe that much on it, he said he bought it from a local dealer a year ago. He probably paid way too much for it if he bought it from a dealer...

I got mine professionally detailed, and man o man does it look awesome! Almost all of the trail scratches came out of it, and the interior looks awesome! The carpet came almost completely clean, and the interior wasn't beat up just dirty, so it looks really nice inside and out... I was thinking $2500 for it and then I might be able to meet their $5500, but now I'm thinking instead I might just put a Vintage Air unit in my '77 and call it good!

I might regear to 4.56's and go to 35's, and later on put a TBI unit on it, or go to a TPI or LT1 engine, and still have less money in it than a newer model, plus I'll have the 'Vintage' body style with all the amenities of A/C and EFI... I still can't believe how nice the interior cleaned up!

The only thing wrong with the body is a couple of surface rust spots on the passenger side in the white stripe in the 2-tone area, and I'm wondering how much it would cost to have just that stripe repainted. The rest of the paint on the entire truck still shines nicely. For a 27 year old truck, it's in better shape than any other I've seen. I might be best off to keep it and continue to maintain it. It is certainly only going to continue to go up in value.

What to do /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif What to do /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif ...

12. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I got my K5 for free with a running 383, 33" AT's and a family of mice under the dash.

$5500 is way to much for one of these trucks with that many miles.

-Chris

13. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I got my K5 for free with a running 383, 33" AT's and a family of mice under the dash.

$5500 is way to much for one of these trucks with that many miles.

-Chris

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to shop at THAT dealership!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif