Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oh please someone help!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddin4fun, May 18, 2001.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

It's not my blazer but it's urgent. I'm driving my '87 camaro (TPI 350) to dallas in the morning and it just started stumbling under normal to semi fast acceleration. I replaced the fuel filter. I'm cleaning the filters right now. I looked at the spark plugs and they're fine. It had a complete tune up recently. Timeing perhaps?

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

When you punch it, everything runs ok? What exactly do you mean by stumbling?

It could be an oxygen sensor, or an air flow/manifold pressure sensor, or maybe your fuel pump is on the way out...............How is it at idle?

My brother-in-law just went through some hell with his 94 3/4 ton- jumpy idle, sickly performance, bad mileage- it ended up being a plugged injector- It might be worth it to pop off the air cleaner and see what your injector spray pattern looks like.

Good Luck!!!

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

3. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Possible missfire.
    Will it stumble or miss if you "power brake" it? (one heavy foot on the brake, trans in drive, Slowly step on the gas)
    If so;
    Check plugs, wires, boots, cap and roter. Might also want to spray some water from a squirt bottle on to the plugs and wires- watch for sparks. Also make sure plug wires are all seated properly.

Possible dirty or cloged injector.
    Run a injector cleaner. If performance gets better, you prolly' got it peged. (its TBI so you can't see the injector spray pattern)

Possibly fuel filter or poor out-put from fuel pump
    These would most likly cause it to "nose" over on excell, but it might be interpeted as a stumble.

I'd go with checking the ignition sys. 1st.

Twiztid

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Man, bad luck. The night before a trip. Are you related to me? [​IMG]

I wish I could help but there are so many things it could be (as I'm sure you know). Most of the time on something like that, I give it a going over to make sure it's not something obvious. If not, I go pay someone to put it on a machine. There are just too many things that can confuse the computer in to messing things up...

Not much help but, hey, I’m here for moral support and keeping it on top!

Good Luck!

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hmm, I might think timing too, if you just had a tuneup, but Twizted sounds right too. How'd it run immediately after the tune-up? Is the idle lower than normal? Maybe they left the hold-down a hair too loose? Were the plugs/wires/cap/rotor replaced in the tune-up? One other thing you might look at; I had a 2.8 with MPFI, and there's a thing that screws in right behind the throttle body, I'm totally strapped for what it's called right now. Twizted will probably know. It's large, maybe a 7/8-13/16, and has a 4-prong connector in the top. Whenever I did a tune-up, I cleaned that out good. Cripes it was so long ago, I can't remember what I cleaned it with, injector cleaner or carb cleaner. Heck, you may not even have one on TPI, been a long time for me...
    BTW, FYI, I had two pumps fail in my Camaro within a couple years of each other, both AC Delco (first was the original, though). They may be the same pump for MPFI and TPI... Can you get into the diag connector with a manual? I remember there being a fuel pump test lead. Maybe you can run the pump without the engine for a while with a guage on the fuel rail, see if it's putting out consistent pressure. If it's not at the diag connector, the fuel pump/sender wires have a plug/connector at the body, directly above the diff pumpkin, right behind the rear seats. Before I did mine the second time, I tested it through that connection. I couldn't tell you the colors, it's been too long a day... I think blue with white stripe is the pump... Avoid lotsa sparks, though...

I ought to keep my mouth shut, I'm not all that together right now. But I hope I said something that helps!

Ratch
    **Hmmm. Land or Mall? Land or Mall? Let's see. Lotsa SUV's around here... Let's build a mall.**

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

newyorkin might be refering to the IAC (idle air controler). This little bugger bleads air into the engine to control idle speeds. Probably not related to this kind of problem.

BTI, FYI. -SOME- g.m. dealers have a lifetime replacement including labor (You need to check and ask for details first!!) on some spicific g.m. parts when installed by a g..m. dealer.

I always hope I said something that helps, But sometimes end up chewing leather.

Twizt-I-d[​IMG]

Edited -just for your info, NOT to knock "newyorker", cause I don't want any problems, -K- newyorker, I don't want any bigg mooly knocking on my door looking for me- We're still budds right, me and you, newyorker.[​IMG]

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twiztid on 05/18/01 09:12 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

yup, that's the thing I meant. Right, trust me to suggest an IDLE component for power trouble... duh... (palm smacking my forehead sound)...

Twizted, it's cool! You know what the thing's called AND what it does! I'm talking outta my overtired-underfed arse at this point in the night...

Ratch
    **Hmmm. Land or Mall? Land or Mall? Let's see. Lotsa SUV's around here... Let's build a mall.**<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by newyorkin on 05/18/01 09:49 PM (server time).</FONT></P>