Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oh Sh!t!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by colbystephens, Oct 20, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so i went downstairs to go to slep and i had rigged up a dishwasher down there. well, it's worked successfully i can't even count how many times, but this time it decided to spew about 45+ gallons of water on the floor! :eek1: really sux, b/c i needed to do about 2 hours of HW tonite. it really soaked the carpet in my room, but there was no other carpet anywhere, so the rest of the floor should be fine. is there any way to salvage this carpet and carpet pad? we vacuumed it up, thanks to y5mgisi and his 6.5 hp shop vac (holy crap that's a powerful vacuum!), but of course its still wet. got about 4 fans blowing on it too. can it be saved?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Wow . How did you rig the dishwasher ? You mean hook up , or mess with the controls ?

I speculate either the water valve stuck open , blew open as in a burn hole form a hot solenoid , or the controls kept it open .

Sorry it happened to you man .

3. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

well, it was leaking from some part of the machinery. i hook it up by running some hose from the water inlet to the faucet, and the drain hose to the sink. it's worked perfect in the past, but apparently not last nite. i think i counted the gallons of water wrong... i emptied 4 buckets at 16 gallons each, which gives 64 gallons! plus, it's about half full. it's crazy. the worst part to me is that i was unable to do my school work for today afterward, so i'm hoping that my lab instructor will give me till the end of the day to turn in my report - but i think this is unlikely. i'm getting kind of discouraged with life right now because i'm working my ass off at school and really not doing that well. and then something like this happens and it's just frustrating. oh well. you go thru hard times i guess.

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

To save the carpet, you need to get it off the floor. Prop it up with some milk crates, and get some fans to blow under it. Mold WILL find a home there unless you get it dried out quickly.

5. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Good to hear it worked man! good luck on gettin back to a pre-soak condition.

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

x2, our basement flooded a couple of years ago, you've gotta get the carpet up and dry the underside.

7. bigbluesuburban

bigbluesuburban 1/2 ton status

To 'save' the carpet...

You need to pull the edge of it up... then go rent a couple of those carpet fans from the store where they rent carpet shampooers (haha, that has the word POO in it) and let it BLOW BLOW BLOW until it be dry.

And no matter how powerful that shop vac is... I have one of similar HP.... there is nothing like a carpet shampooer (haha, there it is again... POO) to SUCK that water out. I would suggest you rent one of those too and use it to clean up the water.

You should also clean the carpet as well. Use an anti-bacterial/fungal cleaner from the store so that you ensure death to all mold and fungi that are just waiting to grow in that nylon forest.

Good Luck.

FYI - I ran a crew that did disaster restoration for a while. I know what it takes to stop mold and salvage carpet. I speak the halls of experience on this one.