Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oh, thats what a Hydralic Hybrid is...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigburban383, Mar 2, 2004.

1. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

I just learned the concept of hydralic hybrid vehicles, its pretty cool. The drivline has a hydralic pump inline, and when the vehicle comes to a stop, for braking it uses the pumps resistants to pump pressure into an accumulator. For hard braking it will integrat the regular brakes. Then it uses that pressure stored to take off. Hydralic motors are compact and are very strong. Pretty cool eh?

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

When i read an article on electric cars once, the only limiting factor (besides that in the end the electricty comes from as bad a source as using gas would be) was that they didnt have a huge or efficient enough battery. If you could get a good enough battery, you could somehow whyen braking use the engine as a generator, or have somehting or the other that puts out a heavy load of juice when braking. They had an LC full fo abtteries and they couldnt handle the flash charge

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ok this one interests me. I missed it fors go around since I was out of commision for a few day's.

This priciple is nothing new. Basicly store energy to assist the engine. They have been doing this on city busses for a long time. They have a big fly wheel and it stores energy to deliver back into the drive system to assist in take off.

The honda Hybrids work the same way. They are a recombant Hybrid vehicle. They hav a electric motor between the engine and transmission. The gas engine is small and the electric motor acts as a booster when accelerating at steady cruise it's all gas motor and it's charging the 500lb worth of Nickle Metal Hydried batteries.
    When braking the electric motor becomes a recombant charger.

I really like this types of hybrids. They are not remote poluters like pure electric vehicles are.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

yes, the hybrids are effecient, but the thing that prevents us from unlocking their potential is weight. The primary driver of fuel economy is mass (aerodynamics and engine efficiency are much less important). With an engine, a motor and the battery pack, hybrids are heavy. They are expensive for the same reason. The government supplements the sale of them and the automakers still lose money on every one they sell, yet the consumer is still paying more than for a gas vehicle. You have to drive it for several years before the fuel economy makes up for the initial price difference.

You also have to consider recycling when you talk about pollution / fossil fuel consumption. Where will we put all of the batteries?? Powerplants are also burning more natural resources to make the extra electricity for electric vehicles ("remote polluters")

These factors combined is the reason the Federal government is pulling back all funding of hybrid development and focusing on Fuel cells.

If you could invent a low resistance, light weight battery, you would be super rich and we probably would have electric vehicles.

I would love to build a vehicle someday with an electric motor at each wheel for driving and braking power. It would only take simple software to get the benefits of lockers while retaining perfect street smoothness. It could provide the ultimate traction control by utilizing the maximum grip of each tire. It could be packaged for great ground clearance, too.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

All valid points and why they do not work for the average American driver.

The batteries can be recyled...mostly. Still a cost that makes it a barelky

As inefficent as gasoline and deisel are there is still no other fuel source that is nearly as efficent.

7. bigburban383

Fuel cell is what is going to make Electric Hybrids go anywhere. Batterys suck, atleast current technology of batterys suck.

They will surely use generators to slow cars down. Some engine Dynamometers are actually electric generators, the companys actually sell energy back into the system, thats sweet.

As far as hydralic hybrids, I think they are better and more practical for a quick solution to become independant with our oil and emissions. We dont have to change our whole infastructure, we will still use gas or diesel at the pumps. A 5 mpg increase and less wear and tear on the truck is huge for big truck companys.

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

You're talking a variation of Hydrostatic Drive if I understand correctly. The single biggest issue with those is heat from high fluid speeds. They can not move the vehicle at high rates of speed w/o getting the working fluid really hot. Which is a huge inefficiency. A by-product of those high fluid velocities is errosive wear on internal parts due to localized cavitation.

Shortly after I started working on the school's HEV program in '96 I concluded that batteries are a means to develop electric propulsion methods so that when fuel cells finally come on-line we won't be waiting for the rest of the system to come up to speed.

You're speaking of Eddy Current Dynometers? Water brakes I'm up to speed on. Need to learn more about the eddy current dynos.

9. bigburban383

I learned that they have pumps designed to prevent caviation. Im sure they would implement coolers for the system. How about a Hydro-Electric Hybrid, using both electricity and hydralics /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif