Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oh what a drive home!... (LONG)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieBlazer, Jan 17, 2003.

1. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

So for those of you who don't know I was out west (not that far) in Houston, Texas. About 3 1/2-4 hrs from home...250 miles or so...so i was there for a week, and today I started my voyage home (10:30)... I make it about 30 miles outside of Houston where I hear a LOUD pop a squeal from one of the tires and my truck shifts to one side violently....(didn't really feel anything through the steering wheel) Well I had been worried about my rear axle giving way for quite sometime now, the ring has a groove worn into it from the pinion and I figured something had made the axle start sliding out...

So I immediately pull onto the shoulder and hop out looking for signs of something broken... I search all 4 corners and see nothing....I figured I'd get back on the road and see if I could I dentify it at slow speeds... 5mph nothing, 20 nothing, 45 the norm, back up to speed nothing...so I mosey along back into Louisiana...make it about an hour into Louisiana, around 1pm stop for lunch (2 hrs after I had heard the original noise) Well as I am easing into a gas station I notice smoke bellowing out from under and around the driver's side of my truck, and I smell burnt metal. Upon parking and getting out I notice my driver's side hub is missing the cap that locks adn unlocks the hub and what appears to be a srings is twisted like a curley cue and sticking out...grease sizzling and smoking away...so I go inside grab soem quick grub and sit in my truck thinking about what made this hub selfdestruct and if that was the pop i heard, meanwhile letting it cool down so I can remove a tire and inspect closer...

30 min later I break out the jack and tire wrench and take the tire off...first thing I notice is slack in the wheel bearings in and out...look inside the hub and can't see much, so I remove teh allen screws and the outter housing and am greeted with dust....no real internals left....what was left had welded itself to the axle shaft.... so I couldn't get to the wheel bearings! Well SHIZNIT!!!

So I decide what the hey, made it the past 170 miles like this why can't I make it the 50 home without the hub....so I start moving...well since the wheel bearing had cooled down it started creaking immediately when i started rolling but stopped being vocal about the time I hit 50 it smoothes otu liek it was...hit 60, and stay there keepign in mind this is a dangerous situation....

Abotu 20 miles later. a louder pop and some screeching...this time it noticably pulls and I gain control, cross a ditch and get on the frontage road where I feel safer and slow to 30mph where I hear metal on metal screeching....when I found a good resting spot I get out and look inside what used to be a hub and the outter wheel bearing was now non existant.... Well now I had done it...

So I call a friend who I know has a large trailer, call my dad to come get me....between teh 2hrs I was waitign for a ride a MAP (Motorist Assistance Program) truck stopped and I told him i had a ride coming...and a state tropper who i explained teh same to and he was sure to make it clear my truck was not to stay there overnight (it was on a very low usage merge ramp I saw all of like 5 vehicles use it in 2 hrs).....

My friend's trailer should be large enough to get the blazer on...I took measurements and when my dad picked me up we cventured back home 45min.....we grab the trailer...I measure....damn!! an inch too narrow!! Well we'll just take the tire off of that side adn rest it on the angle iron railling and drive it on...that side is already screwed!
    So we venture out as I pull my truck up to the trailer my friend says get out and come see this...well my truck was like 5" too wide (No I am not stupid...its hard to measure track width by yourself with a flimsy tape measure) So I start thinking...well teh rear axle will fit...lets back it on and let the front tires rest on the sides and we'll chain and bind the axles holding it there....

Meanwhile here coems the MAP truck again, same guy....
    Well after struggling to get the tires up on the rails of the trailer the MAP guy offers a little push with the push bars on his powersmoke. (Remember I have no 4x4 (remember the hub) otherwise 4LO with Granny Low would have scaled the rails of this trailer) So I agree and as long as he doesn't push through my grille I am cool....first push drivers side ramp slips...crunch...door and rocker meet edge or angle Iron rails......eeeeeerrrrrr off comes paint as I ease back of teh trailer to set the ramps straight again...lets try again same but passenger's side does it...eerrrrrrrr!......next time he gets me up on the passengers side but his bars go straight through my top bumper mounted driving lights....crunch they are gone...BUT I"M ON THE TRAILER!! Kinda flexing the passenger's side on the rail....but thats the only way it fit....we binded it down and dragged it the 28miles home behind my friend's 01 quad cab....6 hrs after stopping 8 1/2 after leaving houston I made it home.....

Damage:
    --Both doors scared about half way up to rear front fenders grooved from contact with the trailer rails...
    --shot wheel bearings
    --bad lower ball joint(all the wobbling and axle fluid seeping out loosenign it up, mixed with heat
    --totalled and ground to dust hub,
    --caliper died in teh heat of all of this
    --maybe an unsalvagable rotor on that side as well
    --broken lights(who cares they're lights)

So she sits and teh C10 is back in daily usage... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Oh what a day...
    --

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I spent a week like that once.

3. BowtieBlazer

I remeber reading about that...yeaaa.....this one wasnt nearly as bad....

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Gawd I love road trips!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

5. BowtieBlazer

Could have become much more interesting had I broken down 30 miles out of houston and 200 something from home. Luckily for teh trailer as a towing bill wouldn't have been cheap. Also good thing it happened on a 3 1/2 hr trip and not a 7 or 8 hr one home from dallas or something. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Rider on your insurance to cover towing is like $10 a year. You pay the tow bill and then submit it to your insurance.
    The damage was caused by water in the hub. That's why ALL manufactures say to dissassemble the hub and repack bearings if you get in deep water.

7. BowtieBlazer

Water in the hub is the best explaination yet. I was bored on saturday so I pulled apart the passenger's side hub just to look around the hubs were new. It had water in it, I pack my bearings with marine grease but was suprised that the hub had sealed water inside. Stupid me and on a tight schedule I never got around to the driver's side. Guess I really Fawked up with that decision. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif