Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oh, what a weekend!!! (long)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Emmettology 101, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Well, we decided Friday night to head to the mountains a do a little relaxing and trailriding Saturday and Sunday. We headed out Saturday at 2:30 and made it about 8 miles before disaster struck!
    I was drivin down the road and all of a sudden the Blazer shot towards the right side of the road. Luckily I saved it and kept driving(but slower) and everythign seemed fine. About 6 miles later we started hearing a loud squeal so I pulled over. There was smoke coming from my passenger side frotn wheel and the plastic hud dial was melting! The wheel bearing went bad.. So I drove up the road to the nearest parking lot(about 100 feet).. We pull the tire and hub and start pulling the nuts off and find that the inner most nut is welded on from the disintegrating wheel bearing. SO my friend runs into town and picks up a friends set of portable torches and a spare rotor/hub combo and my bros girlfriend ran and got us new wheel bearings.. When Ryan got back we realized that the torches were low, so we had to work fast. Wel, they ran out quick so we had to start chiseling the nut. After and lot of hammering, we got the nut off and to our suprize, the outer bearing was welded to the spindle!! We hooked the winch up trying to yank te entire wheel and hub off the spindle but no go. Then we tried yank ing with a trcuk.. No go... So I said screw it and drove it up and down the road to heat it up and it worked. So we get taking all that apart and we ran and got another spindle. Come back put the spindle on and discovered that we have the wrong spindle and bearings. SO another trip back to the house.. Got a different spindle and bearings and came back. Unbolted the worng spindle and put everythign back together. Then try and reinstall a different hub and again, no go. The hub wouldn't lock... So by that time we had sat in that parking lot from around 2:45 until about 9pm... So I said screw it I'll just go in 2wd.... So we head up tot the mountains, wheeled to our camping spot and set-up camp. The next morning we got up and I was hoping that the drive up woud work somehting loose in the hub and it would work, but I was worng. So we had to make a 10 min trip into town to the local Advanced Auto Parts and pick up a new set of Warn Premiums... Came back, installed one and we were off.(The other side was a Warn Standard and worked fine since we didn't have a whole lot of time and wanted to wheel.

So off to the trails. We wheeled for about 45 mins when my buddy Ryan stopped and was looking under his truck. He got back in and proceeded about 200 feet and then did it again. Here his front d-shaft came completely unbolted from the t-case! So we walk up the teail looking for the bolts. None were found. Ryan got back under his rig to pull the shaft and found all the bolts laying on his skid plate. After about 45 mins of him wrestling the bolts back in, we were off once again.
    We wheeled for about another 45 mins and we headed back to camp to eat and pack up.
    Luckily we made it the whole way home without a problem...

What a weekend!

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

At least the bearing went before you got on the trail!!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Damn...
    I'm glad our road trip was uneventful...wheel bearings on the 74 I was towing were in the back of my mind all the way home as it had been sitting for a really long time.

Glad to hear ya got it all fixed though!

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. Emmettology 101

Ya, but i am not done yet. We have a club trailride this coming weekend and I have a long list to complete on Emmett before we go.. Will all this fun ever end? [​IMG]

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

5. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Damn bro, sorry to hear that. Atleast you kept on wheelin' [​IMG]
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nope...Emmett is just getting you back for ignoring him for so long...[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

7. Emmettology 101

Ya, probably... i got a funky creaking sound coming from the front end too when I am wheelin, but it doesn't do it on the orad during normal driving.

Mike