Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oh Yah, LoaDs oF RuST!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CrazeeBush, Jul 21, 2000.

1. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

Since it's getting close to painting time I'm tearing everything apart, and when the carpet came, so did some of the floorboard... hehe.. Man it's amazing how much rust there is. So yesterday I finished the application of POR-15. Seems toi be nice stuff.. Tomorrow I will be fiberglassing in the holes. And am planning on coating in all in bedliner when I'm done. Will I have probs getting the bedliner to stick? I was thinking to just rough up the POR-15 like they recommened in the manual with 600 grit. Any comments or ideas to help me out?

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com

2. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Thinking of doing the same thing. Been told that POR15 may not allow the bedliner paint to stick after cure. It was recommended to try applying the bedliner paint while the POR15 was still tacky. Have not tried this out yet.

How easy was it to work with POR15, any problems? Where did you get the fiberglass and how much was it? I will be doing the same once the truck is out of the weld-shop.

Eric

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer

3. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

The worst part of putting on the POR-15 was the prep work for it. For it to protect the metal everything has to be down to either metal or rust. It dried in about 4 hours and after the night had passed it seems tough as anything. I wailed on a couple of spots with a hammer and the stuff didn't crack of... **cool** The fiberglass I'm using is my friends. I have to go buy fiberglass resin here at the local marine shop, I'd imagine they have [fiberglass mat and cloth there as well.

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com

4. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

use spray in bedliner, like in a truck. it works aweosme and lasts!

'85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN