Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ohh crap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazinzuk, Sep 15, 2006.

1. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Okay so I had it in my head it was really simple to remove the whole ac system from the truck and get that huge thing off the firewall. Its interfering with my wheel wells and battery placement I want. So its not that simple it looks like. So what do I need. Do I need the whole thing from controls to heater core box to blower motor from a non ac truck. Or is a simpler way to do this, I don't have a donor truck and I see this getting kind of expensive as I no longer have my contact at the wrecking yard

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You need all that you describe, plus you need to make a plate and affix it to the firewall to cover up the hole the AC unit leaves. It doesn't mount in exactly the same place.

3. chosen(1)

chosen(1) 1/2 ton status

I'm actually doing the same thing right now. The PO removed the evap core housing and left the hole in the firewall, so I screwed a piece of sheet metal over it. I spent last night removing all the ducting and wiring for the HVAC system because I decided a Mojave heater would be the easiest way to solve the problem.

4. primerk5

primerk5 1/2 ton status

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think I will try to fiberglass something to that effect of build it out of sheetmetal. Question do I need to incoporate the big hole that the evap left into the blower box or can I just modifiy the blower box and cover the hole. This is assuming I use my current HVAC system and heater core controls etc.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

There are wiring changes for the motor control also. If you keep the AC version, you'll have to enlarge the hole for the resister array.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You might want to check the ductwork, I'm thinking that is different as well, at least where it meets up with the heater box. The stuff beyond that connection is certainly different, but as long as you can get air into that ducting, it doesn't really matter.

You'll also lose some heating/cooling capacity unless you get a heavy duty heater setup, or re-use the AC fan, as the stock heater setup doesn't move as much air. Heater box is different on that as well, since the heavy duty heater and AC setups use a vent to cool the fan motor.