Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ohh Hell now I have done it!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grim-Reaper, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well I have been doing several upgrades to my truck in anticipation for 35's. I just upgraded to big to fit in the freaking Garage on 32's! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif Problem is I don't have a level driveway for jacking on and it's asphalt! I haven't even got the 35's on yet hahahaha. It might fit in the garage with the hard top off. It's standing at 6ft 8.5 inches on the 32's. I hear the new KM's run true to size so I figure with the hard top I'll be a 6ft 10.5 inches.
    Well the truck had roughly 4 inches of lift. Rear was more like 3.5 inches with the weight I carry. Last trip out I manged to bend both my transfercase skid (1/4 plate) and my gas tank skid (3/16). I also sliced down a tire on a rock. I'm getting into tougher stuff and it was time for some clearence. So I called Stephen and order 2 sets of Zero Rate add-a-leafs, Polly body mounts and a 1 inch body lift.
    A big problem I have been having is a lack of spring rate on the rear. It was WAY to soft for trailering and was pretty well a handfull on the street. I have been running a set of 86 4 leaf spring packs on the rear with 2 over loads and a Shackle flip. They were just to soft. Flexed like mad but if I got on whooptie doo's both on trail or even a wave in the hwy it just flat out was more than the shocks could keep under control. I had the old rear 1975 springs. I decided to throw in a couple extra leaf's. I put in a second and a last leaf. I measured before I started and I gained 1.5/8 for the Zero rate and the thickness of the two extra leaf's. After it was all assembled I had gained right at 3 inches with the weight on it. I was shooting for 2.25. I have a soft top on the way also and I figured I would gain about an inch once I lost 300#'s of hard top. So once the top is off I'll measure it again. I may pull one over load and that will take me down 3/4 of an inch. right now I have gained 2.25 or so inches at the transfer case.
    I measured the Lady's STOCK 79 from axle tube to frame and I'm 6 inches over stock on the rear and 3.75 on the front. once the add-a-leaf is in the front I'll be 4.75 over stock. Parked next to the stock 79 it looks HUGE! 7 inches (with body lift) doesn't seem like much till you park next to a stocker LOL.
    Ran it down the road and figured it was going to drive like a tank with the extra spring rate. It already rode goofy with the stiff rancho's in the front. I couldn't believe it...it rode BETTER. All I can figure is it transfered some weight onto the front. It also got it in a range where the shocks could keep things under control in the rear so the axle may have been dancing before at the soft rate. Didn't have any noticable drive line vibes either. Ran it up to 75 mph and holding onto the case shifter I felt nothing that wasn't there before I did this.
    It's now low in the front but I think I like it. better veiw over that hood. I may still loose a leaf on the front pack to soften it up. Need to play with it some and see once that hard top is off.
    It never ends does it? hahahaha

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

WAY to GO Grim!!! Ive been waiting for that thing to get lifted since i first saw it here 3.5 years ago!!

3. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Time for a Lift Kit for the garage!

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Sounds like its coming good! AND....Thanx for the flash back Grimmy! I did the same thing, I had to roll my 1st rig out of the shop on jacks to put the wheels and tires on the rear. The front cleared w/ the tires on, but I had to drop the rear down to the floor for the roof to clear the doorway. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. lets see some pics

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Dont know what your garage opening is, but I was able to get my truck in there by airing down the tires to about 10-15psi. And that is with about 7" lift and 35's. I too am working om my rear spring set up, I did a cut through the hanger shackle flip and am using a set of stock springs with an over load and a add-a-leave. I'll see how this works out, but will likely make changes once i see how it drives.

I too have a slanted driveway, but i blocked the front tires well and set the frame down on jackstands and a landscaping timber on cinder blocks. Seems very sturdy and I am doing my axle swap right now like that. Did all the work on the springs like that also, no problems with the truck moving or anything.

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Time to sawzall that garage like you sawzall a pair of fenders /forums/images/icons/wink.gif That or time for a new drive pour.

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Time for a new freaking house. Truck out grew the garage and the family out grew the house. Bigger house for sale in the back of my neighborhood. 1 car garage into the basement. living space is bigger and it has a basement. it also has about 2 achers of land. Sell off some of the land and build a 3 bay detached shop /forums/images/icons/smile.gif