Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ohhhh Dollar got a new top!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Grim-Reaper, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Here is a couple teasers of the New Specialty top Fasttrac top I just installed. http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim?&page=2
    Should have a reveiw up in a couple weeks. Got to say I really like it. Fits hella tight. Near zero wind buffeting. Supose to have some good thunder storms tomorrow so driving it to work to see how well it seals. Never thought I would say I was happy for rain LOL but good timing for the reveiw.
    Specialty top has impressed me as a vendor. Seems something happend to their tooling. 2 tops were effected. Mine and the top made right before mine. STC called me a day after I recieved my top to check to see if I had a problem. That's GREAT customer service. They are fixing the problem and taking care of me and the other guy (not sure if they are on the site) and making it right. Was a step above and beyond. They were very concerned about the problem. Not really a major problem either and they should have it corrected before the next top leaves their shops. It was minor enough that I was still able to install the top.
    Gave me the warm and fuzzy. It will all be detailed in the reveiw.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Did you install a regular K5 tailgate then? Or did you make it work with your custom door thing you made?

Rene

3. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

clicky no good.

4. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Yep,fatal error and stuff...

5. Grim-Reaper

6. Grim-Reaper

Made it work with my Barn Doors. It's slick! It will work on trucks using truck tail gates also since the handle is on the outside you wont even have to open the window. Just open the gate like the window isn't even there. Reach in under the window and grab what you need. Sort of the same way the newer jeep gates work. Instead of mounting the track on the gate its mounted to a cross bar I installed. The cross bar will also help with the bed sides opening up because it ties the top of the bed together. Going to use a wing nut to attach the bracket (right now it's held on by a couple C-Clamps till I refine it) so if you need to load something large you can.

7. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

me likey, i'm gonna give the a ring next month

8. Grim-Reaper

Well you can order dirrect from them or you can order from ORD or localy Turner in Roswell carries the line. There was a group buy post floating around. If they get enough folks to belly up they are looking at a 15% discount. I think they are going to go through ORD on it. Their web site only lists Black and white but my Review will have all the numbers needed to order in color. If you going black they have some limited availablitly on a "Denim Black" VERY nice. Same material used on my 70 LeMans.

9. Grim-Reaper

Well you can order dirrect from them or you can order from ORD or localy Turner in Roswell carries the line. There was a group buy post floating around. If they get enough folks to belly up they are looking at a 15% discount. I think they are going to go through ORD on it. Their web site only lists Black and white but my Review will have all the numbers needed to order in color. If you going black they have some limited availablitly on a "Denim Black" VERY nice. Same material used on my 70 LeMans.

10. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

cool you got the spice top correct? is that one denim? or just the black? i think that i want the spice color but i'm not dead set on the spice. that denim would be very nice.

11. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Grim,

Looks really nice. In viewing the pics of your truck, it looks like the rearend sets a little forward like mine. I am going to try to cure this someday. My rear 4" superlift springs had the pin not centered for some reason. I am going to install a body lift and zero rates soon.

Looks like you did some "Georgia Trimmin'" on the fenders like Keith and Depdog. Looks great. You guys have a style of your own! Cant wait to come down and wheel with you all soon. I am hoping to make a trip down sometime this summer. Dep is planning a Tellico run sometime. Keep in touch.

I really like the new soft top. Do you think Specialty top could sell me the fabric only for a Fast Trac setup? I would like to get the new style without 1/4 windows in the rear for a '76-91 style K5. Since I already have the Fast Trac, I could just buy the fabric and go with the new style. I ripped my top a little at Disney, so I need to either have it patched or get new fabric. Just thought about changing sometime. Could you ask them if they sell only fabric, and will they make the top without the 1/4 windows in Black Denim with tinted windows? Just curious. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I have been busy buying more parts for my K5. After Disney, I decided to pull the Manual and go with a TH400, NP203/NP205 (dual transfer case). Dropping alot of cash! Having all new CV Joint shafts made too, changing out the gears to 4.88 and installing the body lift and zero rates. I also have to install my OBA setup, MOO Shock Crossmember, and F250 Towers. So, I have a ton to do. I wish I had a dollar like yours! That truck definately looks fun.

12. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

That looks great! You'll have to let us know how well it seals up in the rain. I need a top for mine too. The family and I are taking a cross country trip this summer, and I want to have a soft top before we go. Do the sides and back roll up? I'd really like to find a top where you can roll up the sides and back for those days when it's nice enough to take the top off, but where I live in the northwest, the weather can go from bright and sunny to raining buckets in less than 5 minutes.

13. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

They do better than roll up - the sides and rear window remove completely and store in a handy pouch provided with the top. This way, they never get caught on trees or rock ledges when you are wheeling.

14. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

How much was it? I see they are listed at $599.00

I was trying to get 10 people to order the tops for the 15% discount. They didn't need to be the 69-75 they could be any year.

We could only get 6 people to REALLY commit!
    Too bad, I still want my soft top.... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    I guess I will have to pay the $599. to ORD.

TO

15. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

For $599, I'm going to get the wife to whip something up. I'll get that top material and have her make something I can attach to the rollcage.

16. Grim-Reaper

Yeah I have Zero rates on the rear. Just don't have enough driveshaft to move the axle back. Waiting till I have some cash for a custom rear shaft.
    I Know STC will sell replacement curtains. Not sure if they will sell the whole top minus hardware. I'll ask next time I talk to them or you can hit their site at www.specialtytopco.com and they have a few e-mails you can send questions too. I don't know if the corner tops had anything different about the hardware or not.

17. Grim-Reaper

The Weather channel has beens saying bad storms for the last 3 days for today.....hahaha Didn't even rain enough to get the polen off the windows LOL. I'll let you guys know how well it seals.

18. Grim-Reaper

Yeah that's why I gave the sneak peak and I have been dirrecting as many folks to the Group Buy post you had up.
    If you want to try again then make a new post and I'll sticky it for a few days and see if you can get the 10 you need. That's a good chunk of change off the top.

19. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Yeah but at $599.00 it can be a daily driver (through winter, Calif winters anyway). STC specifies it has very little wind noise on the Fwy.

But then again, I have a whole lot more things to do for $599.00

20. Grim-Reaper

Yeah it's quiet on the road. I would venture to say the truck is quieter inside with the soft top than the hard top. The hard top tends to bounce the sound. The fabric absorbs some of the sound. On vary rare occasions with the window open the top will pop against the roll bar or the top bows. Doesn't happen often.
    It's a soft top and there are a few air gaps. The top edge of where the doors meet the fenders is one. The factory hard top seals inboard where these seal at the outside edge. Mild climate its not going to be a big deal. Peice of foam weather strip at the top edge of the door frame would do wonders for that. Just not a way to make it seal any better as part of the soft top design. The top does what it was intended to do. It Keeps water out. Air is a whole different ball game.
    As bad as the seals are around my windows on the hard top are, this seals MUCH better. You could look at it this way. Set of seals for the door glass and windsheild header seal will set you back $400 for the 73-75's. Throw in $200 more and you got the top.
    If you plan to go back to hard top in the winter then the windsheild header track will have to be taken off. You do have to drill holes to attach that part. There is no way around that. For STC to enginneer a part that would attach like a factroy hard top would easily add another $100 to the price if not more. It would be very complicated and quite possibly not seal as well as the current set up. There is a couple holes needed for the side window frame. These would be hidden by the hard top. Again it would take some work that would drive the price up to do it any other way.
    I'm a cheap skate. $600 sounds like a lot but once you see whats involved in making this work....it's a pretty fair price. Going to a place, local, that's capable of making a soft top I doubt you going to get anything near as nice for much less than what this cost.