Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OHHHH OHHHHH OHHHHH STRANGE VIBRATIONS!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Jun 16, 2004.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ok, I've got a bad vibe coming from my drivetrain and here are the symptoms. This vibrates the entire truck when i'm going down the road at 30mph+. When I step on the clutch, I can feel it coming through the pedal, especially between 2nd and 3rd. When I get off the gas pedal, it goes away, but when I get back on it, it starts up again. It's been getting worse over the past 3 days, but I dont have much choice, I have to drive the truck. There is also a fluid leak between the Tcase and Transmission. I have been unable to locate the exact point of the leak since the whole underside of the truck looks like the Valdez. I have my own thoughts as to what it might be, but I wanted to open it up to the CK5 gurus...maybe someone here has been there.

The truck has a 350/mech 465/205

Thanks in advance.

Bryan

2. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

you checked the fluid in the tranny? hoping it's not what it sounds like could be a whole lot of not fun.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Fluid in tranny was good as of a week ago. Of course, that was before it started leaking out...

Yeah, it sounds like new something or another time....wish daniel was here to help me out on this one. And he's at home reading this post saying thank god that goofy texan left. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sounds like it might be time to switch out that rear axle.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Why is the axle your first thought? When the fluid is coming from the tranny???

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think the changing from drive/coast changing the noise is really pointing to the rear axle.

As to why the fluid is leaking from your tranny, I think it's just a coincidence. Not that leaks necessarily has a mechanical problem.

Try running without your rear driveshaft and see what happens.

7. muddbudd72

muddbudd72 Registered Member

sounds like u-joints to me. just had same symptons on my blazer. and just by turning driveshaft there was no play.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The leak *could be* coincidental. I would check the U-joints first and then check to make sure the pinion nut is tight.

9. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

Flywheel/clutch issues could cause those symptoms too. I say try Tim's idea first(which is most likely the cause) so you can eleminate the rear end and rear shaft. If that doesn't work, the next best guess would be a cracked flywheel and clutch disks from overheating.

10. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

What have you checked so far???? (u-joints, fluids, bellhousing bolts, t-case adapter bolts, play in the yokes, wheel balance, tire wear pattern, motor/tranny mounts, etc)

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Well I've checked fluids and ujoints. I think tire wear and balance can be ruled out from the throttle issues. Other than that, I just finished a move and started a new job that puts me at around 12 hours a day. I won't really have time to look at anything else untill this weekend.

Nonesuch- About the time it started happening, my clutch went way out of adjustment. I'm hoping it's not what you say, but I could see it being a problem. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

12. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

That much play in the clutch could mean worn out or broke pressure plate.

Well as it has been said before, start with the small stuff and work your way up to the big stuff (such as pulling the tranny). Have somebody follow you and watch your wheels for wobble. Check all of the mounting bolts. Pull your rear shaft and visually inspect the ujoints. Check the pinion for excessive slop. Maybe its time for a rear diff fluid change so pull the cover and inspect the R&P. Check for carrier bearing wear. There are many things to try that don't take much time and you probably should do anyways. I hope you get it resolved soon /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and welcome back to Texas. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

13. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

laketex - "About the time it started happening, my clutch went way out of adjustment."

bigyellowjimmy - "bellhousing bolts"

I know close to nothing about manuals or clutches, but it seems that if the transmission is falling off of the motor this may happen? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif