Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ohhhhh No I'm off on a Rant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Grim-Reaper, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ohhhhh No I\'m off on a Rant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The names have been removed. THis was the preverbial straw that drove me off the edge. The person who wrote this please understant this is not dirrected at you I just felt it was time to clear the air about some stuff. You however are correct and I could have been more tactfull in the comment. This is why I was frustrated to the point of that comment however.
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    In reply to:
    Suck it up and pay it or quit crying about it

[/ QUOTE ]

Grim,
    that soft sell approach isnt working out.
    maybe if you tried some tough-love type force feeding it would endear prospective members to the site?
    just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Same sort of stuff Steve has been getting for the last week because they think he's making some huge sum of money here. He's not. This site almost had to be shut down in the past because it had become a finacial Burden with Bandwidth overage. The site was costing more money than the Add's were generating. Steve paid the Overage out of his pocket for a while.
    Understand this...Members were not really asked for money by Steve when this all started out. Steve didn't have any money to pay the bills on the site over a year ago. People here we sending money on their own to help make sure this site stuck around. He did not ask he just told them what was happening and they OFFERED and sent cash. Steve Had to turn of MANY of the features we are just now getting back. The newest version of the software helped get the band width and server space needed to suport this monster of a site under control.
    This site started as a hobby. It was a place Steve had to show off the build up of his truck. Steve tossed in some Forums and it went nuts!
    Steve was trying as hard as he could to get advertisers to pay for this place so it could stay FREE. It's wasn't happing. Banner adds don't pay much. Pop ups are a pain in the butt. People offered Steve the Donations and asked nothing in return. They asked to be able to pay with credit cards. Steve set it up. When he got the site back financialy under control he set up the members deal with some discounts arranged with places. He was open and honest and took many of the ideas from the actual members. Those people who sent money and then joined are why you even have this place to hang.
    If people were not Members here then this site would have been gone about a year ago. Course you have not been here long enough to remember that but now you know what lead to this point and the Members section. It's a reward for the small percentage of users that actually keep this site on the net with their membership fees. I think about 400-500 of the 6,000 registered here are "PAID Members". that are actually carrying the finacial end of this site for the 5500. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Fact of the matter is anybody who joined after last summer has not been here long enough to remember that CK5 was almost gone at that point and the funny thing is those are about 95% of those that are complaining.
    I'll be more tactfull when those making acusations , flaming and thinking Steve is living high on the hog off this are more tactfull. He's not BTW. He's working on this and Offcamber about 60 hours a week and I'm not even sure if he is breaking even. Once Offcamber gets going then maybe he will be working and actually making some money.
    Send your thanks to Mrs. Fox for carrying the financial burden of the family till Steve can get this profitable. If she had not let him have a go at making this site and off camber profitable this site would probably would have shut down shortly after Steve got layed off in the spring from the job that did pay the overages.
    Now the last thing I want you to think is I'm out to geve non members a hard time. I am absolutly not. I make a point to help and welcome new people here. I make a point to grab posts that are not getting enough information or attention to help solve that persons problem. You click my name and look you can see all my posts off the page that will pop up and you will clearly see I do not descriminate in any way or form to people who are not members.
    BTW I would also like to say that you have put up some great information helping people. It's people like yourself sharing information with others that need help that made this site so popular in the first place.

I Love this site and to this day Honored that Steve asked me to help with it. Everything Steve has HAD to do to keep this site here I back 100%. He in no way ever intended to make people unwelcome. As much as he wishes he could let this place be totaly free it's not going to happen. It does cost money to operate this place.
    Now if I have pissed you off I'm sorry. It was not my intent and this rant is not dirrected at you it's Dirrected at all those that don't know what lead up to where CK5 is now. Your post happend to be the last in a long line of negative stuff I have read in the last week. This is an open rant.
    If your hacked at me then here you go...take some of your frustration out on me. The Game in the link below is called "Blast the Grim Reaper " Have at it! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    http://www.sendafriend.com/HalloBlast/

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Ohhhhh No I\'m off on a Rant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good post, although I'm pretty tired of the subject matter.

Played the Grimmy game anyways... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rene

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Good post, although I'm pretty tired of the subject matter.

[/ QUOTE ]I'm with Rene! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Politics isn't my stronghold. I just hate seeing Steve drug thru the dirt in the process. Real shame.

Keep up the great work Steve! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

-Dan

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I agree I am tired of this subject has I know Steve is.. Lets just all go wheelin......

5. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

Well said Grim, tired of all the cry babies. Either put up ($25) or shut up.

6. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I went through the days when CK5 was almost taken off the web. I don't wanna see this place go, and I don't want Steve to keep throwing his own money away for something we all enjoy. So that's why I pitched in my dough. The card and sticker were just a nice tie in /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i agree grim very well put /forums/images/icons/smile.gif i hope that people will quit bitching and whining

8. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

nice, nough said
    /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

9. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I remember 3 years ago when there was only a few dozen members and the board software wasnt so great. We just used the chat room mostly. Steve had to put a lot of time and money into this site to get it from the way it was then to the way it was now. All of us from those days who are still here are all orange now. I've gotten a lot out of this site, so I have no problem with paying $25 a year to help keep it up.

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

ditto.

11. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

With no disrespect to you grim. I am coming up on my one year aniversery soon and by all means i should have paid dues a long time ago, but i havent. Dosent mean i wont ever but... Thats not why i am replying.
    It has seemed to me that all to often that some post are ignored, more or less because people are not members. I have stayed out of most conversations on the matter of memberships because as a non-payer I felt lucky that I could even still have this site without paying. However seeing that you have brought up the subject I am glad I am not the only one observing this phenomina.
    I would like to think that the notion was just my inner guilt eating at me, but it upsets me that member of this site might purposly be not replying to post. The attitudes towards non-payers is such that makes me wonder why would I want to pay to be like that. (once again grim, not stating that you or steve are in anyway like this. quite the opposite in fact) I want to pay my dues like many people i assume, but can not at this time or seemingly anytime for various reasons. Maybe it would help incourage people if the paid members were as helpful to the non-payers as they are there own kind.

ps Dosent this division of members sound a bit re-god-darn-diculous? come on people!

12. tRustyK5

I can only speak for myself...I do not ever consider what 'color' someone is before I choose to reply or not. In fact i often go out of my way to help new members get the answers they want quickly even if the question has been asked a million times.

If you want a reply I do have a few tips. Number one, a specific title that gives me a good idea of what the problem is. Number two, show me what you've done to try and figure it out yourself...explain thoroughly what is going on. I can't read minds and trying to figure out vaguely worded problems over the internet is frustrating. If I see you've been trying to figure it out yourself but are stumped I'll generally try to help if I can. I don't care what color your user name is...

Rene

13. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

You know what i just did. I bought a membership. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif Thinking about it, how much more could it really hurt the credit? Its about time.

Plus i feel bad for trying to cover all members under this blanket. Plenty of members do answer non payer post. NOT to say i do not think this is still happening, but...
    It is well worth it anyway.

14. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Look back threw a few posts.. If somebody comes in and says Hi I am new here there are close to 20 responces with a welcome.. Also usually a feel out your profile...LOL.. But for the most part everybody here helps each other.. Not to long ago we were all Blue ... Exept Steve.. I think his favorite color is green...Dan

15. tRustyK5

Way to go Duke! Thanks for helping out. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

16. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

im the same as rene it dont matter to me if your name is blue orange or green if i can help the person i do if i cant i atleast try to point them in the right direction if i can

17. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Amen!!!!!!!

18. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I wonder if some of the people who are not members are resisting so much because they want something for nothing, ya know? Sometimes it looks like some people just want to mooch..../forums/images/icons/frown.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The moochers were mostly in the for sale board. That's why I'm glad it's members only.

I'm glad that not EVERYONE has to join. I waited a long time to join myself because I was broke. I haven't even bought anything and used the discount--I just wanted to support CK5.

You guys helped me completely through the frame swap I just did, and I could have never got that much advice for $25 anywhere.

20. McD Blzr

McD Blzr Registered Member

I'm only a small time user who loves his K-5 immensely, but already the help I've received has made the ride mucho better. I just bought a membership. This is a really good site, support it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif