Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ohm's law, voltage, amperage.... short circuited

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Apr 11, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Short circuited my brain with my homework. Gave me a bunch of series and parellel circuits and I had to find things like total resistance and amperage and voltage at certain points. Ugh... I can't wait to be doing this stuff hands on(sarcasm alert).

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I am by far the stoooopidest person on the friggin planet when it comes to electricity, I've had it explained in detail several thousand times and the only thing I understand is that it's mosty invisible and hurts like a summbitch when you get bit... :crazy: :p:

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

I hate that crap. So much. Can't wait to do it again when I take intro to engineering again next semester (don't ask).

4. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

water flows like air flows like electricity. if you can figure circuits out, you can use it on fluid systems too. i hated circuits stuff like that. i'll take thermal analysis over electricity anyday.

5. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It wasn't that bad! Only a couple little formulas to remember :) That was my best unit in Physics less Momentum!

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Just break the larger circuit into smaller and simpler parallel/series circuits. Then piece them together little by little into the larger circuit. It's a pain but the only way to do it. Once you find the total equivalent resistance you can then figure out the voltage and amperage in each piece. Very time consuming but fun stuff.:D

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Could take this approach and chunk it into Excel if you're reasonably good at programing Excel. Make IT do all those calcs.

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I despise electrical. Friggin electrical networks (electrical engineering 201) kicked my azz so bad I still don't like seeing a DC sign.

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I liked it alot, took it in HS but just like anyhting else i diddent use it much, but In "A" school in the navy, i had to do it all again, picked it back up real fast, and placed second in my class, with no studding at all
    Luckley for me there was no english in "A" school :D ;)

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Get used to it if you want to work on cars nowdays! THATS ALL IT IS!!

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I hear ya. When I went through Automotive Electricity, I about went nuts with that Ohm's Law stuff.......................

12. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I just went through this too in my aviation class, if you need help just ask! I got it!

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I"m jealous man, I've wanted to learn this stuff for a while, but can't seem to hold focus long enough in self-study.
    I think if I had a class or a teacher on it, I'd be set now. I tried to build a circuit to toggle the rear window up and down on the K5 from the "trunk" button on the remote starter, but I was too feeble in knowledge and never got it done...

14. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i have same problem.. am VERY interested but i cant focus and stay with it and therefore cant pick up on very much of it at all

and this goes for everything in my life, except for older vehicles,

anything els ei dont care much about, cept space and technology news

oh and women.. and food, and sleep,, and air to breathe,,

thats it though, nothing else.,

i dunno what this life is for really,, ive already gone insane, so oh well.,,

good luck in the course/class, youre farther ahead than i can get, big time.,.

15. mr_clean

mr_clean 1/2 ton status

I've had those classes so many times (2 different colleges and Avionics/Electronics school in the AF) and some of that stuff never did make too much sense to me. Wait until you see some of the bigger formulas like Capactive Reactance and Inductive Reactance... :confused:

Fortunately for me in the AF I worked all flightline so there was no component level troubleshooting!!!

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I got all the stuff fine. When I went to class today it all just snapped into place. The few I had no answers for became obvious. I used to know this stuff well but I forgot. I used it with my computer hobby often. I wired up a rear window on my K5, it was a factory crank setup. Wasn't very difficult. One thing I have no idea about is wire sizing. I just used whatever I have, sometimes its too small or somethings too big I'd say but I really don't know. Should learn that soon(actually started talking about it right before we left for lunch).

17. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

If you're interested, I can scan a nice wire size chart out of my A&P General textbook...

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

If you could I certainly would be.

It doesn't help through all of this that my teacher is a total dick. He gets angry at the stupidest things and blames you all the time, even if hes wrong. Yesterday was the first really relaxed day we had, cause he wasn't there.

19. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

That sucks man. Sound like some of mine. The teacher can make the biggest difference on your learning experience. Good teachers seem hard to come by these days.

20. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

i'm with ya brotha...working on my degree in EE unfortunately I'm a little further than that.... It gets really crazy when you study the 3 regions a microelectronic device can work in, op-amps, all kinds of diodes, LEDs, MOSFETS, BJT's....etc etc...if you have any questions shoot me a PM