Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OHV trails? where is it going

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by white_knight, Mar 23, 2002.

1. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

I'd like to here some comments from you guys. Here's an open letter I put on my site re; something that has come up with the white knight. If you'd like me to add some comments on my site, please e-mail them to me. Thanks
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OPEN LETTER

The OHV trail system in the Waiparous area of Alberta is undergoing land management studies. The government is looking at either closing trails and/or putting restrictions on tire and/or weight of vehicles. I recently learned that this site- whiteknight.ca- has been singled out by some government officials as a site that does not shed a positive light on the reputation of four wheelers. The claims are that the pictures on this site and similar sites show what four wheelers project onto the lands. They believe these sites should not show any pictures of trail rides; there should be no mud on trucks shown.; that 44” tires are the culprits in upsetting the lands; that trucks such as the White Knight have no business on OHV trails.

Well, how can I NOT respond to these types of comments?

I will start by saying that the day I started wheeling is the day I joined the Alberta United Recreationists Society. I have been on the executive board for 3 years in varying positions. I have been to every clean up that has been put on by the AURS.

I AM a responsible OHV trail user. I am what you HOPE to see using OHV trails .

Let’s lay some facts on the line:

There are more "environmental" issues raised in 10 minutes of clear-cut logging than there is in 100 years of OHV use. The OHV trails presently used are logging roads.

44” tires and big block engines do NOT need to spin tires to get through difficult trails. They simply walk through what STOCK vehicles spin their tires at. Understand that it is the attitude of the driver how a vehicle is driven on trails.

OHV traffic constricted to a smaller and smaller OHV areas causes usage of OHV trails.

The percentage of 44” tires in the OHV community is less than 5%.

How can you claim that 44” tires cause the bulk of the damage?

There are an estimated 15,000 users on May long in the Waiparous area.

EDUCATION of responsible OHV trail use is the key.- NOT restriction.

Government resources need to be FOCUSED towards groups such as the AURS promoting the EDUCATION of RESPONSIBLE OHV trail use. STOP trying to pin the blame on a small user group for the LACK of government responsibility and funds on the designated OHV trail system which the GOVERNMENT SET UP AN PROMOTED.

Environmentalists taking a picture out of context is criminal. Mud pictures on whiteknight.ca include sanctioned mud bog races, trail rides on private property as well as trail rides on the OHV trail system.. Do you want the truth? Trail conditions are not only affected by traffic but by weather conditions. A dry spring brings on dry trails. A wet spring brings muddy difficult terrain. TRAFFIC causes ruts to become larger and larger. Please get all facts before making a decision that affects thousands of users.

The White Knight team is very willing to work with all users and government to help come up with a workable arrangement that will allow access to all users.

Once again EDUCATION TO RESPONSIBLE OHV USE IS THE KEY- NOT RESTRICTIONS.

I WANT TO HEAR FROM ALL USERS. WE NEED TO GET INVOLVED AND COME UP WITH A SOLUTION THAT WILL ALLOW ALL USERS ACCESS TO THESE BEAUTIFUL LANDS. E-MAIL ME WITH YOUR COMMENTS AND/OR IDEAS SO THAT WE MAY PRESENT THESE TO THE DECISION MAKERS. LET’S WORK TOGETHER. NOW!!!!!!!! E-mail to White Knight

DO YOU WANT TO CONTINUE TO SEE PICTURES AND VIDEOS OF THE WHITE KNIGHT IN ACTION AS LONG AS USAGE IS ON DESIGNATED OHV TRAILS AND SANCTIONED MUD BOG RACES AS HAVE BEEN FROM DAY ONE? SHOULD THE GOVERNMENT NOT GET ALL FACTS AND INPUT FROM USERS BEFORE MAKING A DECISION ON OHV TRAILS?

Is this what we look forward to in the future?

http://www.whiteknight.ca/OHVresponses.htm