Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil and Coolant Mixing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5kowboy, Dec 25, 2002.

1. k5kowboy

k5kowboy Newbie

Hey all ~

I have a question that I am hoping someone can answer. I have a 1995 GMC Yukon 4WD with a 5.7L Engine. It has a little over 65K miles. While checking the oil a few days ago, I found it to be about 2 Qts low and there was coolant on the dipstick. I then checked my coolant overflow container and low and behold, found oil in it. I immediately figured it was one of the head gaskets and was making plans on digging into it this weekend. However, I was told through the grapevine that one of my relatives had the same problem with 2 of his Burbs that are about that same year model and both had about 65K miles on them. Apparently, there is a plastic piece somewhere on the intake where the coolant and oil run really close together and it is a "known" problem of it cracking allowing the mixture of the two liqueds. However, I have looked online and can't find anything about it. So, before I go digging into this thing too much, I was curious if any of you have heard or experienced anything along these lines?

Thanks for the help
    K5Kowboy

1978 K-5 Blazer
    1995 GMC Yukon
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The common leaks on these are intake gaskets, and the heater hose fitting. Best bet is to do a block test before you pull the heads off. That way you know if it has a blown head gasket.

Dan

3. k5kowboy

k5kowboy Newbie

Update...

I did some crawling around the beast this morning and found a couple of interesting things. First, there was very little water on the dipstick this morning, in fact, I could barely find any at all. I pulled one of the valve covers to see if I could find any traces of water in there and there isn't any. Second, I have a small coolant leak where the line connects to the water pump. Can't see any reason for oil to mix with it there tho. But, when I crawled under the monster, I found oil covering two lines that run from the radiator to the oil filter (I'm assuming it is a oil coolant system). The oil is right where the line changes from a solid line to a flex type line. My question is...could the point where the coolant does it's thing at the oil filter be the point where I could be getting the water into the oil?

Ross