Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil and filter information you should check out

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Shawn, Apr 10, 2000.

1. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Pretty good info and some surprises too. One thing: can a crappy oil filter affect oil pressure? Like if it's too restrictive, you can get a false high reading on your gauge or if it's not filtering well you can get a low reading? Just trying to understand........

3. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the website!!! Some great reading! I'm not going to use Fram ever again! I've used that brand on my fiance's car at times. I'm just going to use good old AC Delco. FYI ... they have come out with a new AC Delco silver brand .... you can check it out at acdelco.com

4. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Yeah, I feel like a criminal for running Fram filters. I think I'll be changing my oil tonight....

I would imagine a poor filter would restrict oil pressure but you never hear of it. If a filter did implode, you might get chunks of crap in your oil passages.

Shawn
    <font color=blue>87 K5</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>454, 6", D60, 14 blt, 465, 205</font color=red>
    www.off-road.com

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Very interesting articles Shawn, thank you for bringing it to our attention. I just switched to Valvoline synthetic 3000 miles ago and have noticed a difference on my 120,000 motor, it does run quieter, it holds pressure better, oil stayed cleaner longer, and a lot less noiser on startup.

Thanks again Shawn.