Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil and Filter

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by guard66s, May 25, 2004.

1. guard66s

guard66s Registered Member

What oils and filters do y'all use? Ive been using Napa Oil Filters with delo 400 15w 40, but i recently switched to Mobil 1300 15w 40, and my truck seems to run smoother longer on it, im curious as to what oils and filters evryone else uses, i do an oil change bout evry 1750-2000 miles. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I use the purolator filters and Valvoline or Castrol 15W40. I change oil every 3000 miles...

I recently bought the larger 2 quart oil filter, then found out it won't fit without modifying my exhaust. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

I'll make sure I have enough room when I install my Hummer headers and get new exhaust done. It'll be nice to use two 4 quart jugs of oil without anything left over, and the extra filtration won't hurt any either.

Rene

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I just switched from Rotella 15w40 to the Synthetic rotella (5w40 I think). The truck seems to run smoother, I know my oil pressure at idle dropped quite a bit. Its in the same spot when Im driving, but I expected as much from the other cars I switched to synthetic since its flowing is much better than regular oil.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just switched from Rotella 15w40 to the Synthetic rotella (5w40 I think). The truck seems to run smoother, I know my oil pressure at idle dropped quite a bit. Its in the same spot when Im driving, but I expected as much from the other cars I switched to synthetic since its flowing is much better than regular oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking of switching to the synthetic rotella too but at 22 gal per oil change I guess it's better to stay with the 15w40.
    I use the NAPA filters too and I have 2 big filters on mine 1 quart each.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it certainly is a bit more costly. Cheaper than delvac 1 though. Dunno how much of a performance gain/protection im acutally getting, but I'll try it for an oil change, and then maybe go back to using the old stuff for the summer, and synthetic for the winter.

6. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

whats the 2 quart filter part number? Is it larger diameter, longer, both?

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

8. guard66s

guard66s Registered Member

The diesel 2 quart for Napa Gold filter is 1794