Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil burning really bad, any idea?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mike83blazer, Dec 10, 2002.

1. mike83blazer

mike83blazer Registered Member

i have a 305 that burns oil really bad. I have heard it is piston rings. is there someone in the torrance area that would replace those piston rings at a moderate price? The blazer has a different amount of power at different times. also when i hit wide open throttle that is when it smokes really bad. any idaea?????

Mike Pless p/s this is not the same blazer im selling in the other forum.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like your looking at a rebuild. Just changing the rings may not do it as the cylinder wall is most likely worn down also. To do that, YOu will need to disasemble the engine anyway, so It might be cheaper to find another engine to put in there. Might be a good time for a 350 upgrade. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well it sounds like it's just really wore out...bad rings and prolly valves too. Might be a stuck ring.

I would not put a single cent into that motor, 305's are no great prize of a motor and 350's are readily available. You could just get a crate 350 from almost anywhere. You could rebuild the 305 (same money as a crate 350...) Or if funds are tight you could find a decent running used 350...

Rene