Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil burning?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dutterback, May 4, 2000.

1. dutterback

dutterback Registered Member

Mar 12, 2000
    I have an 88 with a 305 FI engine. The engine has 130K miles on it. If the engine is cold and I start it, I notice a lot of white smoke which eventualy goes away after the engine is warm. However, after it is warm my oil pressure drops almost to 0 and the oil light comes on. This is especially true when braking. I realize the engine probably needs to be rebuilt, but does anyone have any cheep sugestions to get me by for a while ie.. thicker oil? Do you think it could be the valves, or am I going to have to rebuild? Thanks.
  2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Feb 17, 2000
    I believe white smoke means you're getting coolant into the top end, which usually means a cracked water jacket or blown head gaskets. Your oil pressure problem might stem from a worn out sending unit, which is found on the rear of the block behind the air cleaner housing. I'd get a gauge on your oil system pronto, because if you are really running at 0psi then you won't have to bother worrying about a rebuild- your engine will seize in a hurry and will have to be replaced. What's your temperature like? If you're not getting enough oil thru the notor you should be noticing a higher running temperature.