Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil capacity, best oil, and oil filter for a 6.2L?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by AJMBLAZER, Mar 21, 2002.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

What's the oil capacity of a 6.2L?
    I'm assuming whatever truck this guy finds for me will be the stock setup.

What's the best oil to run in a 6.2L?

What's the best oil filter to run on a 6.2L?

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

7 quarts with standard 1 qt. filter.

I use Rotella T 15W-40 dino (regular non-synthetic) oil. This is a good oil designed for diesels. Whatever you use, make sure it's rated for diesel engines. It will have the C rating (for compression ignition) as well as the S (for spark ignition) rating.

Use any filter you want except Fram....they're not much better than a piece of toilet paper. I read an article where they cut open all the major brands of oil filters to see what was inside. Fram didn't have much at all. I prefer Wix. Baldwin, AC Delco, and Amsoil are good as well.

Change the oil religiously. You'll notice the oil will turn black almost immediately after you change it. This is due to soot getting past the rings. I change mine every 2500 to 3000 miles.

Casey

3. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I end up putting in 8 quarts but I use the 2-quart oil filter, available at most auto parts stores.

4. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I use K&N oil filters. I don't think it matters with the Diesel...it comes out black as the ace of spades anyway!!!

5. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

I take my truck to a Valvoline oil change station (live in an apartment, no garage... *sigh*), and I get their partial synthetic for diesels called Super Blue 2000. I can't remember what filter they normally put on, which is something I'll have to look into. I know it's not Fram.

At any rate, the previous owner used nothing but Shell Rotella. After I switched to the Valvoline synthetic blend, I've noticed my truck seems quiet down after a cold start very quickly, even when it's cold out. I like the stuff.

6. AgDieseler

AgDieseler Certified Scrap Producer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Friends don't let friends use Fram.

7. BADASSBLAZE

BADASSBLAZE Registered Member

My K5 has a 7 quart oil pan and I always use Chevron Delo 400 Multigrade motor oil with a Wix oil filter. I change the oil every 2500 miles.

8. René

René 1/2 ton status

All are talking about FRAM. Is it the model PH13?

I must use different oil seasonally. In the summer 15W-40, in the winter 5W-30 is necessary. I pay attention to the Diesel specification and change all 5000 mls.

The capacity of my engine is 7.4 quart, without filter.

9. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Yes, the Fram PH13 is at the very bottom of the list, and is really not worth using. Almost every other filter out there is better than the Fram.

Casey

10. René

René 1/2 ton status

Thanks, is good to know.
    What is the best filter in your opinion?
    With you in the USA there are relocations kits with two filters. What do you mean of it? Does that have any advantages?

11. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

Check out this site:

<a target="_blank" href=http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:rLvSVxdi_WoC:www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corvette/articles/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html+Oil+filter+comparison&amp;hl=en>http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:rLvSVxdi_WoC:www.frankhunt.com/FRANK/corvette/articles/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html+Oil+filter+comparison&amp;hl=en</a>

The link is hideously long, and the site appears to be down for the moment. This is a link to a cached page on Google. The links I've tried off of that page seem to work OK.