Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oil capacity in 6.2

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Russell Keys, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

I was changing my oil this weekend and after filling it up began to wonder. I put 2 gals. in the engine for it to register full. I am just curious is this too much, do i have the wrong dipstick? How long should the dipstick be, from the bottom tip to where it rests on the top of the tube? I thought I read where the capacity was 6-7 quarts. Maybe not?-Russell

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

A 6.2 with a stock oilpan and the proper oil filter should take 6 1/2 litres.........

Is there a chance that a previous owner installed a higher-capacity oilpan? Do you by any chance still have your used oil? Maybe you could measure it to give you an idea how much was in the crankcase before you changed it out......

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

3. Russell Keys

I thought about measuring the oil I drained about the time I emptied the pan into a 55 gal drum. I do know that the dipstick registered at the full mark. I've had the truck a year and really didn't pay much attention before when changing oil cause I thought all diesels req. about 2 gals. Actually it took 2 gals and a quart of Lucas additive and it is right at the full mark. As for the oil pan, I have no idea. I bought it here in Texas from a guy who was selling it for a friend who lived in Cali., and he was just driving it. The pan appears to be pretty deep compared to a 350 but I can't tell. I was just curious about the dipstick because now that I look at it and wonder, it seems kinda short considering the depth of the pan. I measured it Sat and think it was 31 1/2" from tip at bottom to where it rests on the top of the tube. Anyhoo, thanks for the response, Russell

4. Can Can

If you can wait until tomorrow, I'll measure the dipstick on my 6.2 for you........

5. Russell Keys

Yeah that would be cool. I appreciate that. One more day won't hurt...A year hasn't!Thanks-Russell

6. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

Mine takes about 8 quarts to hit full on the dipstick. I think the owners manual says 7 but 7 quarts gets me just a little over the add mark.

7. doubleaught

doubleaught Registered Member

I'm using a 2-quart oil filter, and I put in 8 quarts total.

<font color=red>When in doubt, empty the magazine.</font color=red>

1983 K5 Blazer Silverado, 6.2L Diesel, 700-r4, D44 front, 14-bolt FF rear, 37x12.5x16.5 SSRs

8. Can Can

OK.........

The measurement on mine is exactly 20 1/2" from the tip of the dipstick to the ridge on the handle(the one that stops it from going any farther down the tube).

I hope that makes sense[​IMG].........Just so you know, that's on a 6.2 in an 83 GMC 1/2 ton.