Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil Change

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dhcomp, Mar 4, 2007.

1. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

So i walk into my roommate's room, and he asks me if i have car ramps. I ask why, see 1 qt of oil on his floor, and ask him what hes doing.

He says, i need you help, im gonna change my oil. I was like, where the rest of teh stuff? He looks at me.

I'm like, dude, you need more than 1 qt. And you need a filter.

And he got all bummed out, told me he went into the store, and was like....

Sweet, its only $2. GLad im not paying someone else $15 to do what i could do for $2.

:haha::haha:

So i went to kragen to get what he needs, and they gave me a free oil drain pan. Said the city of Davis dropped off a bunch to give out for free :woot::woot:

2. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Thats hilarious. They gave you a free oil pan? I want one, I drain mine into milk jugs and drop them off at autozone.

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

So I take it your buddy's phone isn't ringing off the hook with calls from the top university's..............

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
    probally not

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I have to say, in this day and age, if I didn't work on cars for a living or have a lift in the garage, I'd be paying someone to change my freaking oil, ha. We only charge $22 for an oil change at work. Until I buy quality oil, and a non-junk oil filter, I'm damn near at that anyway.

6. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

$22 isnt bad at all. I spend clost to 15-20 on the oil and filter usually. I like doing it myself though..sense of accomplishment?

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

knowing that the dumbasses at wallyworld won't leave your oil drain plug out.

8. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

I could use the new motor...:crazy:

9. 01maroonz71

01maroonz71 1/2 ton status

dude...check this out... there was this kid in highschool we called him fat farm, he wan't fat, just wore gangster clothes, but hung out wiht us country boys. anyways, one day he told me that in order to get all the oil out of his motor when he changes the oil, he does this:

1. drain old oil
    2. fire motor up and run for about 15sec.
    3. replace drain plug
    4. change fileter,
    5. fill with oil

what a jackass!!!! he also changed the oil at the local chevy dealership before this. no telling how many thousands of miles worth of cylinder walls/piston rings/bearings are now gone from peoples cars.

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Simply brilliant:doah:

11. dhcomp

we're all students at UC Davis

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Sorry to hear that:D It is a fun town to party in at least.............

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats why I would take it to a place like our dealership. $22 for a dealership quality oil change is great in my book. No junk oil and filters like you get at Jiffy Lube. Wally World on the other hand sells our filters cheaper, hahaha. They sell relabeled, Motorcraft filters cheaper than we sell the "real" ones normally.

14. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

hell ya, man i miss me some woodstocks pizza

15. dhcomp

haha, or pizza guys when you are a student and cant' afford woodstocks.....:haha::doah:

16. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I have a buddy that works at a dealership in the same town as a Walmart and they have had several cars come to them with blown motors due to oil plugs falling out. He said Walmart has always paid for labor and parts.

Soon as the Blazer starts using oil im goin to Walmart:wink1:

17. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Hmmmm this reminds me of two fun stories...

First, a coworker of mine spent about 8 days asking me how to change oil... I've never done it personally, but I know how to do it if the need arises that I would change my own oil... Anyway, he finally got up the guts to change his oil (this is a very unsure of himself kid), and somehow ends up draining his TRANSMISSION FLUID! He decided he was going to use the same oil filter, figured it didn't need to come off, found a drain plug and started draining it...

He came into work the next day saying his car is driving all funny... I asked him what color his "oil" was when he drained it and just :doah: was all I could do... ... ... ..... He ended up with double the oil he's supposed to have and no transmission fluid... And me giving him **** for a week...

Then last night at work this girl comes in and gets a room... I guess she was stranded, saying her "tire rotor" was broken and she needed our mechanic to fix it... She was quite a looker and a nice girl too... Well it turns out that she was telling the mechanic what the problem was, that it felt like the wind was blowing her car all over the place but it wasn't that windy.. Her car was at a truck stop up the road... Mechanic said she should probably call a tow truck if she was halfway intelligent, but she insisted that she could get it to the shop... So she comes back in, mechanic takes one look at it... Poor guy...

This girl had ONE lugnut on her wheel... She said the other three had been gone for a while, but she didn't think it would be important to replace them before going on a 75mph road trip to another state... :doah: :doah: :doah: :haha:

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yea people are special, I see it on a daily basis... Thing with the dealership is everyone thinks EVERYTHING is covered under warranty.

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

probably because thats what a stealership will lead you to believe. Who hasn't heard "bumper to bumper!" eleventy billion times?

Even though I want to change the oil on my wife's new car, we still pay someone to do it so we have all the paperwork and crap (wife's call, its her car). There is a local shop that does decent work, they charge just $14.95+ $2 disposal fee if you have a coupon and bring your own oil. Not bad... I don't want to use the "house brand" oil from pretty much anywhere... including the stealership.

j

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

eh ours is Semi-Synth 76 brand oil. I can't speak for any other shops of course.

Maintenence records are a good idea. We just bounced out an 06 Eclipse that needs an engine. DIdn't change the oil for something around 15k miles. They claim they did, but have no proof of it(did it themselves).