Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil changes made easy?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Apr 26, 2002.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Anyone used this yet, or seen one up close?

http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/frasdseries.html

I guess some other company has been making something similar for awhile, but not for $15.

Personally I hate changing oil, my truck isn't that high, but still always end up with oil blowing about because of the wind, and the changing distance the oil shoots out. Figured this might be a neat idea for truck owners.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I have a similar setup on my boat. It uses a valve that you turn to open and close, then there is a hose I attach to it. I use a mechanical pump to pump the oil out because it would take the whole day for it to drain out on its own. It ight work better on our trucks, but it doesnt work well on my boat.

Dan

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I'v seen them but, I dont know.......... I like the seceurity of knowing that my drain plug is screwed in tight. I wouldn't want to worry that a piece of brush or a rock I kick up would hit it and open it up. I am a firm believer in Murphy's laws. Maby for a street machine it would be ok.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Too bad Fram makes it........I refuse to support that company.

5. kilroy

kilroy Registered Member

The small hole the oil flows out of is centerd in the plug about a 1/4" higher than normal so it may not let as much of the old oil flow out, this may lead to a build up of sludg and shaving over time.

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue>Buy one of these out of LMC ... I did and never looked back ...... I attach a piece of hose to the end and drain away no mess ever ! <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/albums/RIZ/aar.jpg>http://coloradok5.com/albums/RIZ/aar.jpg</a>

7. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I feel the same way, try to avoid it as much as possible.

8. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I refuse to do my own oil changes anymore. I go to the Brake Max on the corner and pay them 13.00 to do it for me. No muss, no fuss and they clean my windshield and inspect the brakes. And I havent got a bucket of used oil waiting for my kids to conduct lawn growth experiments and wash the dogs with!!/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> But you DO have to woory if the idiots there forgot to put a plug back in or something like that ! I've heard way too many horror stories about that stuff to ever have a shop change my oil ! It's not that hard to do ....... and why not save the money !

10. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

What is the problem with Fram? Is there some problem I havent heard of, or just a personal preference

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

great advertising
    crap products

12. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

It doesnt cost much more than a do it yourself job. 5 qts at about $2 each and a filter....... I follow them around and BS with them while they do it so I can kinda watch. Notice I didn't say jiffy lube tho! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Like mj said, Fram filters are made with substandard materials and are poorly constructed. I seem to have lost the link to a great oil filter study, but I'm sure someone here has it bookmarked and can add it to the thread......

14. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I have it somewhere, I'll look for it. Fram filtered oil in I think last place. The Mobil 1filter I think did the best. I'd say a good filter is the Purolator brand. They were, I think, in 3rd place out of something like 9. I've been changing my oil since I was 15, I've never trusted anyone else to do it.

15. dyeager535

Wow, lots of replies lol! Gonna reply only to myself though, hope everyone still is checking this thread out.

The oil filter study is here:
    http://www.dorianyeager.com/oilfilterstudy1.html

I saw one of these drain things at wal-mart. No, I don't like Fram, will never touch their oil filters again. At least on the oil drain deal, I can *see* how its constructed.

And as a matter of fact, stopped at wal-mart figuring they would have these, and *hoping* that they still carried ac delco stuff. They don't /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Anyways, Wal-mart does carry them. So I "inspected" one they had on the shelf, that supposedly fit our trucks ($13)

The construction looks ok, nothing real high tech of course. At least it comes with a cap/o-ring so that even if the valve itself failed, or you bashed it on something, it shouldn't leak. The hole in it is maybe 1/4", so it would take some time to drain. As others had mentioned, looks like a bit of sludge might be allowed to stay in the pan with it installed.

After thinking about it, with the too-short hose, and the deal killer, the fact that the oil filter is always gonna spew oil and get things messy anyway (screwdriver into it is no fun either) I decided I'm just gonna make a mess every time I change my oil lol.

I did learn one neat trick that is so simple I felt stupid not ever thinking of it, from an RV board that was talking about the oil drain valve...when changing the oil filter, loosen it up just a bit, then use a plastic bag over the filter to remove it completely. Duh!

16. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

I've always used AC Delco oil filters... no problems, until I changed the oil in my girlfriend's car this past winter.

I installed a PF47 filter on the 2.2L (?) engine in her `99 Sunfire and filled the engine with the proper amount of oil. My mom had also come over and they decided to go to the store while I finished up the oil change on her car and my truck. My gf took her keys with her when she left, so I couldn't start the car... I forgot to ask her for the keys after she got back... and I didn't start it up.

My girlfriend spent the night and I woke up running a couple minutes late for work in the morning and was in a hurry to get out the door. I left her behind to finish getting ready and lock up.

Right about the time I was walking into work, she paged me. I called her back on her cell phone and she was stranded... engine blew - "the red oil light had only been on for 5 miles or so... then the engine started to run rough. Then it just died."

The O-ring had kinked when I was installing the filter (it's not crimped in and YES, I did put oil on it before installing it). As soon as she started the engine, it peed out almost all the oil right in the driveway... then peed the rest out in a nice blood trail down the street. She thought the red oil light had to "reset or something".

I still use AC filters - that's one problem that could have and should have been avoided if only I would have started the engine myself before letting her drive the car. $400 for a junk yard engine with 18k miles on it and 2 nights putting it in fixed the problem.

17. dyeager535

Heh. Sounds like my friends story. Changes oil and filter(unknown filter brand) in his moms truck. Driving down the highway, the seal on the filter blows, and the light comes on. Why stop when a red light comes on?

lol I'm telling ya, there definitely needs to be some training that comes with a drivers license, to include freeway driving and BASIC automotive problems and how to react to them, all of which entail shutting off the vehicle ASAP. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Was the nick of the seal due to it not being locked in you think, or just not your day?

18. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Me and my buddy were about to leave to go camping last year, and we had just changed the oil in his brothers trcuk which he was taking camping. We were about to leave, he fired the truck up, and it started bushing oil. I yelled at him to turn it off, so he did. Turns out the old seal from the old filter (Fram) was stuck on the adapter still, so it stopped the filter from seating right. We popped off the filter, found the second seal, took it off, put some oil in the beast, and off we went. Luckily I was standing in front of his truck when he started it up. Otherwise bye bye motor.

19. dyeager535

It's kind of habit for me after doing an oil change to start it up, let it run, look for drips, shut it off, let it sit, and re-check oil level. Never really thought WHY I was looking for leaks, but guess its a good idea!

20. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I always do the same thing as you. I go threw the same exact procedure as you when I get done changing my oil. Better safe then sorry. Also, I wouldn't want to ruin a $2100 motor for being careless. Plus usually after I fire it up and let it run a minute then shut it off, I usually have to put a little more oil in it. I assume that is because the oil filter refilled with oil.