Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil changes.....What oil do you use?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, Jul 11, 2003.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I change it every 2000 miles w/ a cheap filter since I do so often. I use shell oil. Some guys I know use that in there macks and petes. Wondering what you guys use. Thanks Mike

2. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

Chevron Delo 400, Shell Rotella T, or any good diesel oil

2,000 seems early.

FWIW, purolator has an enormous filter that doubles the size of the stock one (forget the #, will check this weekend?) and adds 1 quart to the circulating oil.

Just a thought. :-)

3. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Heres a couple previous post that might help oil 1 oil 2 The other day walmart had Quakerstate 15w 40 clearenced for $.60 a quart so I bought 20 quarts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

OK, but QuakerState is barely a step above Pennzoil (yep - waaaay down there). IMHO, of course. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Since they're owned by the same company...

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Yes but I go though a quart of oil like every 40 to 60 miles so cheaper is better at this point.

6. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

Can't argue with that logic! LOL

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

You and me both...well till next week when i get my Rear Main fixed

8. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I wish I was leaking it, mine going through the heads. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OK, but QuakerState is barely a step above Pennzoil (yep - waaaay down there). IMHO, of course. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I work with a guy that'll argue that statement, and can back it up.

He has a '93 cummins with 130K on it. He changes his oil every 10,000 miles, wether it needs it or not /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif! Actually everyother oil change at 7,500 miles he pulls a sample and sends it too blackstone lab for analysis. Comes back OK and good for 10K. Could go longer but even 10K makes it easy to track when it needs to be done.

He is running longlife pennzoil 15w-40, buys it in 5 gallon pails and purolator filters. Only 1 filter per change also. Oil is darn near as clear coming out as when it went in. I run Mobil delvac 1300, 15w-40 because Meijer carries 2.5 Gallon jugs.

You can't get 10K change intervals from a 6.2/6.5 however. The oil gets dirty from the soot past the rings. That and the lower crankcase capacity.

I've seen his oil results and dang I hope mine runs like his!

10. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I use Amsoil and Amsoil filters. You are doing yourself an injustice by using cheap filters. The oil is fine, but do you really think a cheap filter can trap the contaminents in your oil? I strongly reccommend using a premium air filter and oil filter. The oil is up to you, but I would check out www.amsoil.com and make my own decision. I personally found out about this product a couple of years ago and when I changed my vehicles over to Amsoil filters and oil, I found and increase in fuel mileage as well as a decrease in operating temperature. Upon further investigation I found that this is common with high quality true synthetic lubes. I am not saying that you have to use synthetics, merely to use the best filters available. You are also wasting your time/money changing your oil every 2k miles. Unless it is being heavily contaminated, don't bother.

11. 82diesel

82diesel 1/2 ton status

Did you find out the number for the 2quart oil fitler?

12. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

What was the # for that I would like that too. Thanks mike

13. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

I use puralator Pure One filters and Shell rotella oil, I change my oil at every 3k miles. When i get the truck back on the road i'll be using Rotella full synthetic with a pure one filter and a baldwin by pass filter and extend my change intervals to 6k. I might try the oil analysis, well wait and see. Oil changes are cheap maintence and piece of mind.

14. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Most of the 2 quart filters dont have an anti drain back valve. You might want to check. Thats the reason i dont use a 2 quart filter myself.

15. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

Mobil Delvac 1 5W40, change it once a year or 15K miles.

16. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

You don't need antidrain back when the filter is vertical with the top up right?

17. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Couple of things.
    Yes you do need a anti-drain back valve if you are running a larger oil cooler. I had much more noticeable lifter clatter running PF35s before switching to the PF1218.

If you want to run extended intervals, even with synthetic, have a sample analyised. Even guys at the DP don't run long intervals while using a dual bypass system. The 2 compression ring setup of a 6.2/6.5 doesn't seal nearly as good as the 3 ringed CTD. Heck GM was smart enough to go 3 compression rings on the tall deck gassers but missed it on the diesels.

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

This may be a dumb question so bear with me...

Are there aftermarket pistons available with 3 compression rings instead of two? If so I'll put it on my list of things to buy when it's time to rebuild my 6.2...

Rene

19. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

There isnt that I know of. It wouldnt be worth it anyway. All it would do is increase the frictional losses of the engine for maybe a small gain in dynamic compression. For example, the Cat 3208 only uses one compression ring and one oil ring and there are tons of those out there with high hours that are still running fine. This was done to save wear on the cylinder walls and to reduce friction in the engine to make it more efficient. BTW, my 5.9 didnt have 3 compression rings, only 2. I just went out and looked at the piston I removed when I rebuilt it and it definitely only has two compression rings as do all of our medium and heavy duty Cat engines both on and off highway.

20. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Shell Rotella T and the Pure One oil filter every 3K or so for the past 100k miles (It had 40k on it from uncle sam when I got it, hard tellin' when they changed the oil.) As sooty as the GM 6.2L is, all you have to do is pour the new oil in and it turns black /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif