Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oil consumption causes ?'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Dec 20, 2000.

Oil consumption causes ?\'s

I've got 114,000 miles on the 305 in my blazer its sucking down alot of oil but it does'nt smoke at idle or going down the road that I can see.I put a holley 600 on the truck 3 months ago,I know holleys suck but the q-jet was gone and the holley was free and brand new.I know its burning way to rich,I was wondering if this could be part of the problem?I cant realy see any diff after changing the carbs because the q-jet sucked bad,the fella I bought the truck from tried to rebuild it and failed!LOL But back to the prob,will to much fule in the cylinder wash the oil off the walls and cause this?The oil gets black a few hundred miles after changing it.What would be some other causes?It leaks a little but not that bad.And there does'nt seem to be much blow by.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Re: Oil consumption causes ?\'s

Could be a pissed off neighbor running over there in the middle of the night letting some outta the oil pan. LOL!!

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

holleys suck??? On a 4X4 you mean?? I 've racing hollys for years, Had my 68 camaro in the 10s with a tunnel ram and two 750 double pumpers. Holleys are very tempermental that I grant you, but with proper tuning and maintenance, in my humble opinion, they're the best. You would rather run a Bogchester?? anyway...can you see any oil leaks? the oil ring takes the oil off the cylinder walls on the stroke down. if your rings are shot you will see blue smoke. too much fuel has nothing to do with oil consumtion through the rings, if your valve seals are shot you will see blue smoke also. you posted you didn't, but maybe it is blowing smoke faintly. whats a lot of oil, 1 quart a day?? 1 quart every 1000 miles. The oil is either being burned in the combustion chamber and going out the exhaust or, its coming out of the motor and burning off on a hot spot, like the header, or its going on the ground....check it out. Try a compression test........js

3. Re: Oil consumption causes ?\'s

The holley suck quote refers to 4x4's,I know there great on street cars I've used em for years.I'm using 1 1/2 to 2 quarts every few hundred miles!!The truck dos'nt leave any drops on the ground.Its a little wet around the back of the oil pan and flywheel cover but not to bad.

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

The 427 in my '60 Sub does the same thing...doesn't smoke at idle or that I can see during the day, but still burns a quart every 500 miles. Have someone follow you at night with their headlights on, take off from a light under full acceleration and have them note what they see!! I'm sure it'll be a cloud of blue smoke that you can't believe!! During the day you have to look real hard to see this, but at night it sure shows up!! If this is your problem, under hard accel lots of smoke, then its your rings, which require a full rebuild to fix and do it correctly. If it smokes at idle and at startup, it could just be valve stem seals. Good luck.

ken

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Also, try looking back as you are compression braking down a hill! My 305 didn't blow smoke from a light or anywhere until I started down a hil and let the engine do some braking. That would be a ring problem. ALso, I dont remember from reading, when the K5 sits for a while, will it blow any blue smoke a start up?? This would be a valve seal problem.

You're not drinking it are you? (sorry, for some reason that is the first thought that popped in my head when I read the subject!) :) LOL

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

6. Re: Oil consumption causes ?\'s

LOL No,I think the oil grimlins are taking it out at nite.When I let of the gass under hard acceleration it blows a nice big blue cloud,I thought it was valve seals but it does'nt smoke when I first start it in the morning.
    Also at night when I get into it I see something but I thought it was fule from loading up.

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Nope, that's oil bypassing the rings. Engine time!

ken

8. Re: Oil consumption causes ?\'s

I'm going try and limp here for few more months.Thanks for all the replies.

9. fknfbm53559

fknfbm53559 Registered Member

im having the same problem with my 350. it never smokes, not even at night. no leaks at all except for around the pcv valve and thats not much of a leak. it uses about a quart every 50 miles. its got me really puzzled

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Whoa! A quart every 50 miles? As in fifty???? [​IMG] Your truck should look like a fog machine going down the road if that much oil is being burned. A leak that big should also be pretty obvious. The EPA would be tracking you down... [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

11. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you can limp it, but the coppers may catch up to you one day and write you a fix-it ticket. I've been limping mine for 6 months, its just kinda a pain having to put in a quart every few days!! You know its low when the lifters start ticking!!

ken

12. fknfbm53559

fknfbm53559 Registered Member

but see the iwerd thing is that it doenst smoke and there are no obvious leaks in the driveway. its really got me pretty puzzled but i guess its something i can live with. my dad gets free oil :)

washing a k5 is never done somehow i keep finding those 3 foot deep mud pits on the way home

13. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Just get you an extra tank just for oil. Then put a release valve on it, have it tie into your oil pan, then when it get s low, hit the valve and it drops 1 pint in the pan.
    LOL!!! Then you can limp it till I get my 383 built then you can buy this 350 I have in the Jimmy now.

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

From my experence many 305s start using oil after 100k miles espicially if they are used hard. Everyone I know who has a high mileage 305 puts in a lot of oil. The blowby from the bad rings is making your oil look dirty after a few hundred miles. They dont seem to be a bad engine for cars but in trucks they seem to wear out quicker.Using oil in a 305 is a GM built in driver alert to Start saving money for a good 4 bolt main 350. they are a much better engine for a truck.
    A rich running carb usually wont cause oil consumption.Just gas consumption. Unless it is leaking a lot of gas directly into the engine. The gas will end up in the crankcase and dilute the oil. The diluted oil can then be burned and will also evaporate when the engine is hot and be pulled through the PVC valve. But if a carb is leaking that bad your truck would not run very well.